ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Have some questions about some HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 01:45 AM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have the correct housing (HID-specific reflectors or projectors) and they are aimed correctly, you won't be blinding anyone.
Old 05-12-11, 09:53 AM
giovany24
Rookie

well i havent had any problems with them but maybe thats just me . i also like the fact that they have a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-12-11, 05:34 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
No, there's a chance but it's not very good. Only a minority of customers choose the HID option for 2000/2001 models.

dplan, take a picture of the front of your car and post it here, then someone can help you further.
Ok man will do at the end of this quote

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Do your headlights look like either of these?

HALOGEN:

HID:

What you need is an hid kit; either slim or regular ballast [i prefer regular, since slims can be a hit or miss], the bulb is either an H7 [halogen], or D2S [Oem hid].

I think that they are halogens look at the pics i uploaded below

My preferred seller

***no need for a relay harness**

Here's an install: *scroll down* https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...imeline-3.html

GL!
do you knw why i dont need a relay harness??

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
Personally, I would stay away from DDM Tuning. I've heard some bad reviews about them and a few friends have also had their ballasts fail pretty quick. I've used HIDeXtra and V-LED and those have had reliable ballasts and accurate color temps.
HMMM ill check them out
And this is my Baby Below
Attached Thumbnails Have some questions about some HIDs-p1010165.jpg   Have some questions about some HIDs-p1010166.jpg   Have some questions about some HIDs-p1010167.jpg   Have some questions about some HIDs-p1010161.jpg  
Old 05-12-11, 06:55 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Those are halogen, you DO NOT have the HID housings.

Furthermore, I don't recommend you just stick an HID kit in there. Here's why:

• Illegal
  • May not pass inspection
  • Glare and overly bright for other drivers
  • Possibility of getting ticketed

If you do however do it, aim them low, use between 4300k to 6000k, and use 35w ballasts. You can use a relay harness if you want, but you probably don't need to. People use them because they are afraid of frying their stock halogen wiring. Try it for a week or two and check for flickering lights when igniting and heating up. If not then you can probably avoid a relay harness, but if theres flickering then you should consider a relay harness. Nice car btw. Good luck.
Old 05-12-11, 07:49 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Those are halogen, you DO NOT have the HID housings.

Furthermore, I don't recommend you just stick an HID kit in there. Here's why:

• Illegal
  • May not pass inspection
  • Glare and overly bright for other drivers
  • Possibility of getting ticketed

If you do however do it, aim them low, use between 4300k to 6000k, and use 35w ballasts. You can use a relay harness if you want, but you probably don't need to. People use them because they are afraid of frying their stock halogen wiring. Try it for a week or two and check for flickering lights when igniting and heating up. If not then you can probably avoid a relay harness, but if theres flickering then you should consider a relay harness. Nice car btw. Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up about the law but ill aim them low and mayb get some eye lids for it so itll kinda block it a little bit and its not always what you knw its about who you knw and ive got the hook up on inspection! and thanks for the complament on my car just tryn to make it look less gangster cuz alot of thugs were i live drive this same kind of car and they put ungodly looking chrome wheels on them but what can you do thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-11, 09:41 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ You don't need a relay because they don't do anything, that the stock wiring can't handle.

I have two kits, one in the fogs & lowbeams: [iphone pic FTL]
Old 05-13-11, 08:42 AM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ You don't need a relay because they don't do anything, that the stock wiring can't handle.

I have two kits, one in the fogs & lowbeams: [iphone pic FTL]
So i dnt need the relay?? cuz people have told me that there bulb housing melted because they didnt have the relay harness! and i need hids on the lowbeams not the highbeams??? and nice lex by the way
Old 05-13-11, 09:14 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ absolutely not. What you see above is 3 years encounting on the low beams [bd pic but those are 4300k] and this summer on the fogs [6000k to make nice contrast]

Those people that told you that are uninformed, or they were running some 'high power HID bulbs' [generic blue bulbs] off eBay which run super hot [stock is 55W these are 100W units]. They were sold a 55W HID kit [which will run hotter than the 35W obviously] or they had a ****ty HID kit...
Old 05-13-11, 09:23 AM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

^^^^^ Okay thanks for the info. ima get 4300k or 5k idk witch yet but do you think if i was to get eyelids for it that it would cut off some of the light so that it doesnt blind everyone else??? and what brand are yours?
Old 05-13-11, 11:12 AM
ikant
Rookie

Originally Posted by DplanDman8
people have told me that there bulb housing melted because they didnt have the relay harness!
I've been told the SAME thing from people who have HID's and even some of the local places HIGHLY recommend the relay for SAFETY reasons--"proper voltage, etc.. If this is the case, I've been waiting to purchase some 5k or 6k [brightest possible] bulbs for my 2ES. [Gathering info]
Old 05-13-11, 12:56 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ikant
I've been told the SAME thing from people who have HID's and even some of the local places HIGHLY recommend the relay for SAFETY reasons--"proper voltage, etc.. If this is the case, I've been waiting to purchase some 5k or 6k [brightest possible] bulbs for my 2ES. [Gathering info]
ya im not sure what ima do exactly but im prb not going to use it