ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Have some questions about some HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 08:05 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Have some questions about some HIDs

Hey everyone i have a Black on Black 2001 es300 Coach edition i have lowered it exhaust some led on the inside and stuff but i realy realy want some HIDs but ive read on the forum about all different types of HIDs but i would like if there is anyone that has any ideas and knowledge about some realy good and affordable HIDs? That would work with my car and if anyone has a step by step and pictures of my car? Thanks for any bodies help
Old 05-10-11, 09:35 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Does it have own hids?

I have a guy and many of my friends use his stuff. My first kit was 4 yrs old before it died. And cost me 55$ shipped in 3 days
Old 05-10-11, 09:41 PM
giovany24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try ddm tuning. they have the raptor v2 kit for 30 and the ddm slims for 40. i bought a 5000k 35w raptor kit and its very good, no problems at all.
Old 05-11-11, 03:34 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this topic can often be confusing, mainly because of all the riced up crap on YouTube. If you want to properly install HID Headlights, you don't want to just install in HID kit in Halogen Headlights. It will cause glare, no sharp cutoff, etc. Now if your car already has HID's, which is usually determined by temperature warning labels near the headlights, than you can upgrade the bulbs to a different temperature/color, etc.

If your ES has Halogens, which it might not since it's the coach edition, than you can either spend a considerable amount of money on and HID retrofit, or buy a set of OEM HID headlights. There is a set for sale right now in the "For Sale" forums. Otherwise you'll have to look on other sites. But whatever you do, do NOT buy any aftermarket eBay headlights. Doesn't matter if they are projector, cateye, LED, bmw, etc. They are all horrific quality.
Old 05-11-11, 10:05 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ you can't even get aftermarket headlights for the 3ES, well you can but they're OEM design. No ghey leds/halos/etc
Old 05-11-11, 08:16 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Does it have own hids?

I have a guy and many of my friends use his stuff. My first kit was 4 yrs old before it died. And cost me 55$ shipped in 3 days
umm it doesnt have hids at all its halogen and do you knw what brand and were you got the hid kit??

Originally Posted by giovany24
try ddm tuning. they have the raptor v2 kit for 30 and the ddm slims for 40. i bought a 5000k 35w raptor kit and its very good, no problems at all.
I dont knw anything about hids and i dnt knw exactly what i need and what the different types are

Originally Posted by Megafast13
I know this topic can often be confusing, mainly because of all the riced up crap on YouTube. If you want to properly install HID Headlights, you don't want to just install in HID kit in Halogen Headlights. It will cause glare, no sharp cutoff, etc. Now if your car already has HID's, which is usually determined by temperature warning labels near the headlights, than you can upgrade the bulbs to a different temperature/color, etc.

If your ES has Halogens, which it might not since it's the coach edition, than you can either spend a considerable amount of money on and HID retrofit, or buy a set of OEM HID headlights. There is a set for sale right now in the "For Sale" forums. Otherwise you'll have to look on other sites. But whatever you do, do NOT buy any aftermarket eBay headlights. Doesn't matter if they are projector, cateye, LED, bmw, etc. They are all horrific quality.
Its a true Coach Edition it vin number even starts with a J witch i think means it was actualy shipped from Japan but it doesnt have oem projector hid headlamps its all halogens i think im not sure and do you knw a good brand for my car??

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ you can't even get aftermarket headlights for the 3ES, well you can but they're OEM design. No ghey leds/halos/etc
Ok 01LEXPL ive seen you alot on the forums and they say you knw your stuff so im going to trust what you say so they actualy make aftermarket headlamps with projectors and hids for them cuz ive tryed to look for aftermarket headlamps with projectors but they on work for the 2ES not the 3ES but i might be wrong please help????
Old 05-11-11, 08:28 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

The 2ES came with 2 projector headlights (low beams and high beams are both projectors). However, the 3ES only came with reflectors. Both versions (halogen and HID) of the 3ES housings use a reflector assembly. As far as I know (and as 01LEXPL said) there are no aftermarket versions of 3ES headlights that have projectors or any of that LED/angel eye crap.
Old 05-11-11, 08:43 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by QuachmanES
The 2ES came with 2 projector headlights (low beams and high beams are both projectors). However, the 3ES only came with reflectors. Both versions (halogen and HID) of the 3ES housings use a reflector assembly. As far as I know (and as 01LEXPL said) there are no aftermarket versions of 3ES headlights that have projectors or any of that LED/angel eye crap.
how do i knw if my headlamps are halogen or hid?? i knw there not projectors
Old 05-11-11, 08:57 PM
giovany24
Rookie

well since ur is a 01, there is a good chace that they are hid. if u check the headlight housing it should say if they are hid r not.
Old 05-11-11, 09:04 PM
DplanDman8
Pole Position

well since ur is a 01, there is a good chace that they are hid. if u check the headlight housing it should say if they are hid r not.
Ok thanks but if they arent does anyone knw a good brand with a relay harness and everything???? and what type of balast and kind of bulbs????
Old 05-11-11, 09:17 PM
giovany24
Rookie

try ddm tuning. i recently bought a 5000k 35w kit from them. they have both normal and slim ballast. as for the type of bulb, u will need h7. it will be up to u if u want 55w or 35w. u wont need a relay harness unless u buy the 55w kit.
Old 05-11-11, 09:30 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

there is a good chace that they are hid.
No, there's a chance but it's not very good. Only a minority of customers choose the HID option for 2000/2001 models.

dplan, take a picture of the front of your car and post it here, then someone can help you further.
Old 05-11-11, 10:49 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Do your headlights look like either of these?

HALOGEN:

HID:

What you need is an hid kit; either slim or regular ballast [i prefer regular, since slims can be a hit or miss], the bulb is either an H7 [halogen], or D2S [Oem hid].

My preferred seller

***no need for a relay harness**

Here's an install: *scroll down* https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...imeline-3.html

GL!
Old 05-11-11, 10:56 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

try ddm tuning. i recently bought a 5000k 35w kit from them. they have both normal and slim ballast. as for the type of bulb, u will need h7. it will be up to u if u want 55w or 35w. u wont need a relay harness unless u buy the 55w kit.
Personally, I would stay away from DDM Tuning. I've heard some bad reviews about them and a few friends have also had their ballasts fail pretty quick. I've used HIDeXtra and V-LED and those have had reliable ballasts and accurate color temps.
Old 05-12-11, 12:32 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm still confused on hid lights. I really want some but there's so much different info out there. Not trying to blind anyone, just have some nice, bright, white lights.

Quick Reply: Have some questions about some HIDs