ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Huge repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 05:03 AM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge repairs

2000 lexus es300 96k. I just replaced the mass air flow sensor 2x knock sensors,2x front control arms,2x rear sway bar bushings,& put new drilled rotors,and high end pads....I hope i have nothing else to worry about for a while,as the rear breaks were done 6 months ago,both o2 senors were replaced.......what else is left...i mean i know there are other sensors/valves ect...On this car i think i replaced most everything that goes bad.I worry about the struts & the mounting bushing,but to be honest folks i can't swing it right now....after this repair bill....Once i recover i am putting coil overs on her & new rims,& sneakers....Any body can think of something i left out that is sure to go on me??
Old 05-13-11, 07:24 AM
sagarx
Rookie

Default huge repairs

Well when i got the car back last night from having all the above work done,from the control arms being replaced the steering was tightened up dramatic,no more loose steering wheel where you can jerk the wheel side to side a bit & get no response...I have instant response now/nice tight wheel....Another thing i noticed was the car pulling very hard to the right...It is my understanding,& by doing some reading replacing the control arms/or even just the bushings can throw your camber off....being that i just had the alignment done 3 months prior i felt that the car should have had a mandatory alignment(FREE)..My g/f is a service writer @ Lexus (i am lucky that i get all my oem parts @ cost) i sent the car back with her this morning & told her to have them realign the car...@ first they refused to do it for free & wanted another $100, with a bunch of *****ing they are now doing it for free...I told them flat out, i just spent well over a grand, & if i was any other rich snobby customer they would have made sure my alignment was correct after that job, before giving the car back to me,& def. not charging me for doing it....Am i wrong that doing the control arms,or even just the bushings can throw the camber off?? Also i noticed that while allot of the knocking,rattling/all out bumpy ride was fixed that some of it was still there...I asked them to advise what the issue was...Just as i suspected strut mount bushings....So here is my question to you all...I have gone this far with replacing half of the car,Hawk pads, drilled slotted rotors,all the senors above,control arms..Instead of just replacing the strut mounting bushings, i was thinking of just buying a set of coil overs,this way i get a better ride, don't need to put new springs on her,& the bushings are supplied in most kits.....Am i on the right track? Why take of the struts to put new mounts in without replacing the struts & springs,& with the benefit of coil overs i am thinking that is my smartest move...please your thoughts...thank you all
Old 05-13-11, 07:36 AM
decypher
Driver

I dont know that much about coil overs but from my understanding most folks get them to incrementally lower/adjust the suspension themselves. If you're planning on getting rims I would save up the dough to get coil overs.

Have you done the timing belt yet with 96K on the clock?
Old 05-13-11, 07:54 AM
sagarx
Rookie

Default timing belt..

No i have not. I am think about pressing my luck,and waiting to replace the timing chain as i do have 96k on the clock,but only average maybe 5k a year in miles..I have had the car 2 years now & have only put about 8k on her.... i am hoping in can wait a year do the suspension,then move onto the timing chain due to my low mile a year average....Do you think i am making a big mistake..I know it is recommended that it be replaced along with the water pump,& what ever else comes with that job @ 1000k but i shouldn't be there for at least another year.Also this knocking from the suspension strut mounts is really pi$$ing me off...Also to answer your question i am gonna put new rims & sneakers on her so i will want to lower her 1 to 1 half inch..I wish i knew where i could find one of those stabalizer bars that go across the hood attached to the strut towers to help with the body roll,but can't find any anywhere....

Last edited by sagarx; 05-13-11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 12:47 PM
Steelfan
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always count on the rear main seal starting to leak, if it hasn't already. My wife's 2000 ES300 with 79k started slowly leaking onto the exhaust a yr ago and it has gotten progressively worse. It is at the point now that I may need to do something about it.
Old 05-14-11, 10:17 PM
giovany24
Rookie

if ur looking for a strut tower, looke for an oem 99-01 toyota solara one.
Old 05-14-11, 10:55 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, you're not alone in regards to all the work you have done to your car. I have done everything you mentioned except for the control arms. But i did have to deal with a shorted out air bag wire that runs thru the firewall. I did noticed you changed out your MAF sensor. Were you having a CEL for leaness? If so I had that same issue, then realized it was caused by my Weapon R intake system. I did notice you have a Weapon R also. Regarding your timing belt, if its over 90K miles, I would have the timing belt and water pump replaced. I would not try to get extra miles out of it, worst case scenerio is you break your timing belt and throw off you your entire timing and have to have the engine reset to its proper timing. That would be costly than just taking care of it when it was recommended by Lexus. As far as the strut bar, check online, ebay, local wrecking yard, www.toyotanation.com or www.solaraguy.com