ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What size tire will fit '97 stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02 | 12:18 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default What size tire will fit '97 stock rims?

www.tirerack.com Says I can put up to a 215/60/15 size tire on my stock rims. I still don't understand how I can put a wider tire than my stock (205/65/15's) on the SAME factory rim. Anyone know if any other options will fit on the stock size rims?
Old 09-11-02 | 05:57 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Default WIll Fit!

The 215 will fit on the stock rims with no problem. You will be at the max for tire width but its definately an option. Tire rack is very accurate with their info . I am a Long time customer of theirs and they have yet to steer me wrong. Go with the 215's the improvement in traction from a bigger foorprint will do your performance a good deed.
Old 09-12-02 | 10:05 PM
blux
Pole Position

no kidding, I heard you could go wider...I thought...maybe with diff rims. Big footprint = bad in snow, so watch out!
Old 09-18-02 | 03:35 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: WIll Fit!

Originally posted by NYC ES3
The 215 will fit on the stock rims with no problem. You will be at the max for tire width but its definately an option. Tire rack is very accurate with their info . I am a Long time customer of theirs and they have yet to steer me wrong. Go with the 215's the improvement in traction from a bigger foorprint will do your performance a good deed.
Good advice, unfortunately I live in the midwest and don't want to have to buy another set of tires, so it's probably best I don't go any wider, if I want decent traction in snow, don't you agree?
Old 09-18-02 | 04:39 PM
blux
Pole Position

I would personally keep the stock width....if you go wider you will loose traction in the snow/ice...
Old 09-19-02 | 03:52 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Default X-CELLENT ALL SEASON TIRE!!!

If you are worried about snow I have the PERFECT TIRE for you. I had a set on my car I sold them with a set of rims I had on my car....anyway Bridgestone Turanza EL41. 205-65 VR15. Go with a set of those in that size...I got the VR16's for the rims I had at the time...but THEY ARE X-CELLENT in the Snow.....They are a little pricey about $110 a piece last time I looked. But they do great in the dry and great in the wet AND GREAT in the snow.
....I am in NYC but about 2 years ago we had some big snow here like 11inches (thats a lot for NYC) these tires had me ridin around watchin people get stuck and zoomin by them with ease......SUV type traction......If you can afford them GET UM.....they are great and with that V speed rating and the tread compound...you'll like the good they do when you feel like pushin out the 200 horses in the ES3...ya know!?!
Old 09-22-02 | 02:32 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: X-CELLENT ALL SEASON TIRE!!!

If you are worried about snow I have the PERFECT TIRE for you. I had a set on my car I sold them with a set of rims I had on my car....anyway Bridgestone Turanza EL41. 205-65 VR15. Go with a set of those in that size...I got the VR16's for the rims I had at the time...but THEY ARE X-CELLENT in the Snow.....They are a little pricey about $110 a piece last time I looked. But they do great in the dry and great in the wet AND GREAT in the snow.
....I am in NYC but about 2 years ago we had some big snow here like 11inches (thats a lot for NYC) these tires had me ridin around watchin people get stuck and zoomin by them with ease......SUV type traction......If you can afford them GET UM.....they are great and with that V speed rating and the tread compound...you'll like the good they do when you feel like pushin out the 200 horses in the ES3...ya know!?!
Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check into them! Can you tell me, what the difference would be on H vs. V rated tires at lower "highway driving" speeds. Would I really notice a difference in going with H vs Z's? Anyone know?
Old 09-24-02 | 08:17 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Default It all depends

H rated tires are good up to 138MPH....V rated are up to around 149 I think..I may be off abit on the V rating but Z rated are good for 149MPH and up....they will keep their integrity at High speeds and high heat at those speeds under pressure. It really depends on how U drive. If you drive hard and aggressive and need that X-tra security (like me) I wouldn't go any lower than a V rating. DEFINATELY NOT lower than H on any tire I bought. TireRack.com has all the speed ratings and the MPH that go with them... Speed ratings DO NOT go in alfabetical order....a T rated tire has a lower speed rating than an H rated tire..just so you know.....V,W and Z have been my personal favorites!.......P.S. Stay away from treadwear ratings of 400 and above...the rubber is too hard!
Old 09-24-02 | 08:35 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: It all depends

H rated tires are good up to 138MPH....V rated are up to around 149 I think..I may be off abit on the V rating but Z rated are good for 149MPH and up....they will keep their integrity at High speeds and high heat at those speeds under pressure. It really depends on how U drive. If you drive hard and aggressive and need that X-tra security (like me) I wouldn't go any lower than a V rating. DEFINATELY NOT lower than H on any tire I bought. TireRack.com has all the speed ratings and the MPH that go with them... Speed ratings DO NOT go in alfabetical order....a T rated tire has a lower speed rating than an H rated tire..just so you know.....V,W and Z have been my personal favorites!.......P.S. Stay away from treadwear ratings of 400 and above...the rubber is too hard!
Thanks for the insight. I certainly don't travel much over 100, even on a good open freeway, But I wonder if I'll notice better handling on a V, vs. H rating at lower (around town) speeds.? Any idea?
Old 09-25-02 | 03:24 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Default No difference

Regular driving ..around town..you wont notice a thing. Go with the H rated ...will save you some money also