ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is it igniter or ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 01:32 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it igniter or ballast?

Ok on my other vehicle one light went out...at first it was on then turned off..once stopped I checked under hood and looked at both igniter(strapped down) the ballast(loose but properly secure or atleast not in area of concern I moved the ballast around to check it then went and turned lights on..both turned on but left wasn't anywhere as bright as right but it stayed on..I drove of to a local gas station within.5o miles shut off car went inside then went turned car on and monitored the left light..well it turned on and like a minute later it turned off somewhere in between it did flicker a few times...what's your best opinion is it the ballast or igniter?
Old 05-23-11, 02:17 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by VicsIS350
Ok on my other vehicle one light went out...at first it was on then turned off..once stopped I checked under hood and looked at both igniter(strapped down) the ballast(loose but properly secure or atleast not in area of concern I moved the ballast around to check it then went and turned lights on..both turned on but left wasn't anywhere as bright as right but it stayed on..I drove of to a local gas station within.5o miles shut off car went inside then went turned car on and monitored the left light..well it turned on and like a minute later it turned off somewhere in between it did flicker a few times...what's your best opinion is it the ballast or igniter?
The symptoms you describe are typical of an HID bulb on it's way out. The ballast however is still a possibility, but much less likely.

So If I were you, I would start by replacing the bulb

Alternatively, you could switch the left and right bulbs, and see if the problem follows.

Phil
Old 05-23-11, 02:53 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
The symptoms you describe are typical of an HID bulb on it's way out. The ballast however is still a possibility, but much less likely.

So If I were you, I would start by replacing the bulb

Alternatively, you could switch the left and right bulbs, and see if the problem follows.

Phil
We'll going to friends house gonna to switch both ballast and igniter it should point out if they or bulb is faulty...I just checked again now left light was off then after I moved ballast around it turned on with lower light output then right but after like 30 sec it started to flicker only on that side. I read ballast have a micro chip that shuts of if a low charge condition is present which car was stored over winter and I've had low charge conditions a couple of times when my radio is on the amps must draw alot
Old 05-23-11, 03:57 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by VicsIS350
We'll going to friends house gonna to switch both ballast and igniter it should point out if they or bulb is faulty...I just checked again now left light was off then after I moved ballast around it turned on with lower light output then right but after like 30 sec it started to flicker only on that side. I read ballast have a micro chip that shuts of if a low charge condition is present which car was stored over winter and I've had low charge conditions a couple of times when my radio is on the amps must draw alot
Don't switch both at the same time, as you will prety much get meaningless results. If need be, than Switch them one at a time.
Old 05-23-11, 07:35 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by PFB
Don't switch both at the same time, as you will prety much get meaningless results. If need be, than Switch them one at a time.
Well took left side igniter and ballast and we put them on right side and it wouldn't light up so pretty much you are correct it appears to be the bulb..I took pictures of a part wired between the bulb and ballast..can you tell me what it is in picture #3?
Attached Thumbnails Is it igniter or ballast?-photo-1.jpg   Is it igniter or ballast?-photo-2-1-.jpg   Is it igniter or ballast?-photo-3-1-.jpg