ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Yay! New Goodies!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 09:53 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ This.

was what I was about to post. The brake line thing is very minor. Zip ties FTW!!!
Old 06-24-11, 06:26 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just get some zip ties to go along with the rest of the stuff. just in case.
Old 06-26-11, 06:30 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

wow ... slightly off topic but, I just got word that another windom is now on the way to my home from Japan, this now makes... a total of 3 Windoms parked in front of my house, hmmm I guess I'm gonna have to sell something soon. Probably going to be my old '95
Old 06-26-11, 08:18 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks you live on Grand Cayman. . .I might have to take that '95 off your hands lol
Old 06-30-11, 06:43 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Update: June 30th

Got my Front Mounts, attached to the coilovers now, and everything is ready for installation.

I found someone who's willing to loan me a DeWalt Impact Driver for a few days, it Model# is "DC825KA".

Looking at the spec's I'm not sure if this tool would be adequate enough, it's rated @ 111 ft-lb's maximum torque, will this tool be able to do the job properly or should I look around some more?
Old 06-30-11, 07:39 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy-KY
Update: June 30th

Got my Front Mounts, attached to the coilovers now, and everything is ready for installation.

I found someone who's willing to loan me a DeWalt Impact Driver for a few days, it Model# is "DC825KA".

Looking at the spec's I'm not sure if this tool would be adequate enough, it's rated @ 111 ft-lb's maximum torque, will this tool be able to do the job properly or should I look around some more?
If you have never taken off the strut bolts before, then that might not be enough. You can probably get by with a breaker bar to break the bolts loose but it's much easier with a high impact driver. I've done it all by hand and it takes maybe about 30 minutes longer or so if everything breaks loose as it should and if you know what you're doing. good luck.
Old 06-30-11, 08:12 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Looking at my front upper mounts, something in the back of my head is telling me, Something does not look right here.

I apologize for the poor picture quality

The area that I have a question on, is where the upper mount sits, it seems to sit right on the upper spring perch, something is telling me this is wrong.

anyone have any thoughts? looking at the Toyota service manual, there's the suspension support, bearing, followed by the spring upper seat, and then the upper insulator with integrated dust boot, and then the spring.

Something is telling me I need the bearing to go between the upper spring perch, and the suspension support.
Old 06-30-11, 09:20 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

looks ok to me, if something's wrong u would know when u try to install it
Old 07-01-11, 06:58 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Default Ugggh when learning, mistakes are bound to happen... well, it happened.

wow, talk about a gigantic mistake on my part... darn it

So this morning, I decided to take apart the FL damper to make it easy to show the people at the parts shop, well, as it turns out, this ended up to be a bad idea, a VERY BAD idea.

The upper nut, started to come off fine as normal... but then it suddenly started getting harder to come off, so I screwed it back down snug, and it went down smoothly with no problems. I inspected the threads, and it started to strip, everything went on together smoothly without any problems last night. I didn't have to force anything at all.

I always started the nut by hand, and then took my time with the 17mm deep socket to seat it hand tight, everything went on effortlessly and I had it all hand tight with minimal effort to take off with the deep socket, so I'm now guessing that it started to strip while I was attempting to take it off this morning.

This is seriously one heck of a learning experience I'm going through right now, talk about a blunder

If I try to attempt take it off again I do believe that the rest of the threads will strip, which isn't good as I do believe that I need a bearing to go between the upper spring seat and the mount itself, and to do that, I need the bolt off.

From what I can see, it looks like I might have to order a replacement FL damper.
Old 07-01-11, 05:50 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Looking at my front upper mounts, something in the back of my head is telling me, Something does not look right here.

I apologize for the poor picture quality

The area that I have a question on, is where the upper mount sits, it seems to sit right on the upper spring perch, something is telling me this is wrong.

anyone have any thoughts? looking at the Toyota service manual, there's the suspension support, bearing, followed by the spring upper seat, and then the upper insulator with integrated dust boot, and then the spring.

Something is telling me I need the bearing to go between the upper spring perch, and the suspension support.

I have this problem solved now, it was indeed the bearings, the upper mounts were supposed to have come with bearings, however they did not, I've ordered the correct bearings online, they should arrive in a few days.
Old 07-02-11, 08:55 AM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, talk about a gigantic mistake on my part... darn it

So this morning, I decided to take apart the FL damper to make it easy to show the people at the parts shop, well, as it turns out, this ended up to be a bad idea, a VERY BAD idea.

The upper nut, started to come off fine as normal... but then it suddenly started getting harder to come off, so I screwed it back down snug, and it went down smoothly with no problems. I inspected the threads, and it started to strip, everything went on together smoothly without any problems last night. I didn't have to force anything at all.

I always started the nut by hand, and then took my time with the 17mm deep socket to seat it hand tight, everything went on effortlessly and I had it all hand tight with minimal effort to take off with the deep socket, so I'm now guessing that it started to strip while I was attempting to take it off this morning.

This is seriously one heck of a learning experience I'm going through right now, talk about a blunder

If I try to attempt take it off again I do believe that the rest of the threads will strip, which isn't good as I do believe that I need a bearing to go between the upper spring seat and the mount itself, and to do that, I need the bolt off.

From what I can see, it looks like I might have to order a replacement FL damper.
gotta love cars mate. . .always something else that needs working on lol

sorry that happened though. . .it's just more money youre gonna have to throw at a damper
Old 07-03-11, 10:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Im looking forward to seeing these installed, on a sidenote jeremy-ky the grand kayman islands are so beautiful, was there 2 days ago, saw windoms on a few occasions but most pretty beat up, and it was expensive there. Got lunch at a place called "Hammerheads" and paid something like 130 bucks for fish and chips and appetizers for 5. sorry i'm off topic haha, i hope you figure everything out
Old 07-04-11, 06:41 AM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Yeah, this was a minor setback, but at the end of the day, I'll still gain knowledge and reap the rewards of my efforts. Lesson learned, take your time and don't rush things. Otherwise, mistakes will happen when you are least expecting it.

@gray_ES300, glad you enjoyed the island. And I do agree, it's stupidly expensive as hell here. But I hope that didn't dampen your experience here, I also hope the weather wasn't too bad for you, on Sat. I got stuck outside my house in a huge rain storm, had to wait some 45 minutes just for it to let up so I could get my groceries into the house, but on a fun side-note, I love the factory TV, during the rain, nothing beats passing time watching TV while waiting for the rain to die down.

I don't think I ever got around on posting the interior shot, but never the less enjoy:
Old 07-04-11, 12:06 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

nice interior! very clean

is that in-dash screen from the factory?
Old 07-04-11, 01:39 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EEngineer
nice interior! very clean

is that in-dash screen from the factory?
Thank you, I actually hate a dirty car interior with a passion, the outside may get dirty because thats unavoidable, but I try to keep my car interior clean. You could probably tell how a person keeps themselves when you look at their car interior, at least thats how it goes in my country.

And YEP! thats a factory unit with DVD Japan Navigation as well as TV,

Here's a close up picture of the unit if you're interested:

Last edited by Jeremy-KY; 07-04-11 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Yay! New Goodies!!