ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Yay! New Goodies!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 01:07 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

you raised the front!!!!

OMGWTFSUV!
Old 07-23-11, 01:08 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOOOL xD

This will be fixed soon... after i recover from being sunburnt and overheated...

Nothing is ready yet.
Old 07-23-11, 01:09 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

anyways i'm gonna work on lowering the fronts soon.
Old 07-23-11, 02:11 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Don't worry, i'm not going suv on you all..

Heres the Measurements that I took before changing

Before:
FL 25'
RL 24' 1/8
FR 24' 7/8
RR 23' 7/8

Heres my goal (for now) :
FL 23'
RL 24' 1/8
FR 22' 7/8
RR 23' 7/8

(Measurements were taken from the bottom of the rim to the top of the fender.)

I probably might raise the rear a little more, since apparantly it was "sagging" when i took those measurements, the front will be slightly lowered, but still high enough to not worry about clearing parking blocks.

I should probably go at least 3 fingers in the rear (to avoid any potential rubbing with the fenders) and try to match up the front with the rear so the gap at least looks equal

I'm also not the only one that drives my car, I have someone else, who sometimes drives it, and is totally clueless on how to drive or park a lowered vehicle. taking that into concideration I wont be going very low.
Old 07-23-11, 03:31 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Fronts Lowered 1 inch to 24' 1/2 both sides.

Working on raising the rears about 1 1/2 inches to level out the vehicle.

First impressions of the coilovers.... WOW!! it's... smooth, firm and responsive.

Now I know some people might be dissapointed in me not lowering the vehicle at this time. Thats perfectly understandable, I personally still want to aim for the ideal ride height that i would like, (DixonPai's) but right now, I have very important question. Is it normal, for the front sway-bar link to be physically touching the lower control arm?
Old 07-23-11, 04:22 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

no, shouldn't touch.
Old 07-23-11, 04:30 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

hmm... weird, it seems to be touching, but i'm not getting any funny noises or anything like that. i noticed the rear end links are shorter than the front, any harm in switching the front links with the rear?

I'll get a picture up shortly.
Old 07-23-11, 04:50 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

that's really weird. i'm 100% sure that the rear end links should be longer than front ones.
Old 07-23-11, 06:33 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Hmm, i'll ask dixonpai he has pretty much the same car as me, so he should be able to tell me what to do about them.
Old 07-24-11, 07:27 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

I took the car out for a drive today, discovered some noise and made some corrections to make the noise disappear.

I've also took the car out on the bumpiest road that I know of for a shake down, its very solid and its very very firm.

Right now my settings for the dampers are 15 both front and rear, it does seem a little bouncy, but I'm guessing it could be that it's picking up all the bumps in the road and fully transferring them into the chassis, feels like a stiff sports sedan.

I believe I might have to "tweak" the preload settings and reset them to the factory recommended 5mm preload, as I believe they are not fully matching.

As for the ride height, the front clears parking blocks, by about 1/4th of an inch, instead of LOLSUV 2 inches, I'm now happy with the way the front is now.

The rear only rubbed on one occasion while on that bumpy road, I was thinking of raising it, but the car is pretty much sitting level right now so I'm going to leave it the way it is.

I'll get the car cleaned up, and I'll get some photos done for you.

I'm loving how the coilovers handle the bumps in the road, Way smoother than I was initially expecting!

Once I've finished the adjustments it's off to get the alignment done.
Old 07-24-11, 10:08 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

exactly. u are feeling exactly what i feel.
Old 07-26-11, 05:48 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

I finally got around to testing the differences between full soft, and full hard on the BC Coilovers today, and wow full hard is really hard, but I've read how some people say, hard is like back breaking on coilovers.

I think that is an exaggeration, yes the car felt very solid and shook on literally every bump, but back breaking? Nay, the BC Coilovers on full hard were incredibly firm and solid, but it still remained smooth and composed, it wasn't exactly comfortable, but it wasn't "back breaking" either.

On full hard, any steering inputs that I made responded immediatly when I turned the wheel, the amount of body roll was greatly minimized. My only small gripe is not with the coilovers, but a gripe with lack of feel through the steering wheel, but its no BMW so that gripe doesn't matter at all honestly.

On full soft, the car felt just like it was before I took the old suspension off with the small exception of it being slightly firmer than stock. with full soft, the car absorbs the bumps that I felt while the coilovers were set to full hard. body roll was prominent, but noticeably less than the original suspension. Steering response is there, while not as immediate like how it was on full hard, it still responds quite well.

Since the roads in my country are not smooth like how they are in USA, I believe I'll set my dampers to suit the currant road conditions on my daily commute routes. So far, full soft is comfortable but actually feels way firmer than when I had my original suspension set to sports.

Last edited by Jeremy-KY; 07-26-11 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-26-11, 08:01 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

i have full hard for the rear and 24/32 for the fronts.
i'll never get to adjust the rear unless i take the rear seats off, so i figure i'll leave it on hardcore

as for the front, i might play around with the settings later on, but 24/32 is fine
Old 07-26-11, 09:06 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Why don't you just ask Tristan (CircuitMS) to send you some rear extenders? I'm sure they are pretty cheap, it would also enable you to experement with your rear dampers.

I might just try out your settings for fun xD 0 in the rear (hard) and 24 in the front. I may as well try something new right
Old 07-26-11, 10:10 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

no lie me and my friend were messing with it we didnt notice much, but we did start off with it turned all the way to hard, i have been driving with it ever since haha

Quick Reply: Yay! New Goodies!!