ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Halo? and other mods:)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 07:36 AM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo? and other mods:)

Hello CL,

New to the forums I just purchased a 2001 Lexus ES300 (had a choice between that and a 06 Honda Accord; chose the Lexus more or less because they hold their value longer). But I was looking into mod options for it, and I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any good deals on halo projectors. I love the look (even though on my lancer they were God-awful expensive). Anyone know of anything? I'm also looking into lowering it about 1-2 inches with some Tanabes (I don't know which ones yet; still researching). Also an aftermarket stereo (I don't think I'm going to replace the stock speakers quite yet simply because they aren't that bad - I believe Pioneer made it and it sounds amazing

Looking for any advice/suggestions; this is my first Lexus, and I'm not disappointed in it, I just wanna make it better

Last edited by xXTimmayXx; 05-31-11 at 08:15 AM. Reason: information
Old 05-31-11, 10:41 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

aftermarket headlights, don't exist for the 3rd gen.

And welcome.
Old 05-31-11, 05:42 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome. Don't get the overpriced poor quality ebay aftermarket lights.

Sounds like your willing to spend some money so have someone in the Lighting section do a full retrofit for you. Much better.

As for stereo there are many good options out there this days. Pioneer touch screen NAV is what I'd get too.
Old 06-01-11, 04:12 AM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Yes, you are better off with a retrofit job, looks 100% better then those eBay aftermarket stuff, i did my own retrofit in my Toyota xB and soon i will be doing it in the ES........Its super easy, you just need to have patience when doing it....Get a set of Mini Morimoto those fit right in, then get your self a set of 6000k HID H1 Kit and you will be good to go.
Old 06-01-11, 04:13 AM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

How much would a retrofit run you think?

Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Morim...#ht_3332wt_939

They look great, but I've never done a headlight project before. On my Lancer, they were put on there by my brother (I bought them for his coming home present, but I don't know much about headlights at all). I just think that halos would look nice on an ES, and I've been scouring the net to try and find some assistance with it. Not many people do it I geuss. I have no idea what a "retrofit" is. Hope that doesnt make me look too noobish but I'm sure it does lol.

Last edited by xXTimmayXx; 06-01-11 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 04:35 AM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Hey is always a first time for everything, i was doing the same thing searching and searching for the right set of projector headlights but every time i ask the question about the Light Cut-Off they either didn't know what i was talking about which tells you that is not a good projector or they will say that the cut off wasn't that great because it was an aftermarket light not an OEM....so after i find out that a retrofit will cost you close to or over 600 dollars i did some more search and found some threads from others that have done their own retrofit and put it down step by step.....so you cant fail.........You can also follow this 2 Youtube Videos on how to do your own retrofit, but for us toyota guys we need to get the H4-H7 projectors so that we dont have to cut the back of the headlight like the guy in this video......the H4 and H7 are made to fit right in.
http://youtu.be/2UMlUfBbc1M

Last edited by MyEs300Yea; 06-01-11 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 12:16 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Welcome. Don't get the overpriced poor quality ebay aftermarket lights.

Sounds like your willing to spend some money so have someone in the Lighting section do a full retrofit for you. Much better.

As for stereo there are many good options out there this days. Pioneer touch screen NAV is what I'd get too.
Originally Posted by MyEs300Yea
Yes, you are better off with a retrofit job, looks 100% better then those eBay aftermarket stuff, i did my own retrofit in my Toyota xB and soon i will be doing it in the ES........Its super easy, you just need to have patience when doing it....Get a set of Mini Morimoto those fit right in, then get your self a set of 6000k HID H1 Kit and you will be good to go.
I saw your youtube videos while I was scouring the internet looking for examples of how they look. I've seen angel eyes done to a 93, but I'm not sure if I can do the same to an 01 (again, I'm not very familiar with headlights.) The LED job you did on the front looks great; I was considering doing an LED line on the bottom like you did in the front, but I'm not sure how it will look on an 01 ES. Anyone know someone that has angel eyes on an 01?
Old 06-01-11, 01:04 PM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Found this site that specialize in Halo Kits, but it looks like we were left out, they make kits for 1st Gen, 3rd and 4th, not our 2nd Gen.
www.automotivelightstore.com
Old 06-01-11, 07:59 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

I youtubed one that I really liked, but it's a 1993

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...with+halo&aq=f

It looks great though, so I guess it's a retrofit. I better start reading up on how to do it, as I've never done one before.
Old 06-08-11, 01:17 PM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Originally Posted by xXTimmayXx
I youtubed one that I really liked, but it's a 1993

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...with+halo&aq=f

It looks great though, so I guess it's a retrofit. I better start reading up on how to do it, as I've never done one before.
Here you go, keep checking this thread for DIY steps.
2000 ES HID Projector Retrofit
Old 06-09-11, 08:37 AM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Here you go, keep checking this thread for DIY steps.
2000 ES HID Projector Retrofit
ooo thanks a bunch!
Old 06-19-11, 08:15 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Hey is always a first time for everything, i was doing the same thing searching and searching for the right set of projector headlights but every time i ask the question about the Light Cut-Off they either didn't know what i was talking about which tells you that is not a good projector or they will say that the cut off wasn't that great because it was an aftermarket light not an OEM....so after i find out that a retrofit will cost you close to or over 600 dollars i did some more search and found some threads from others that have done their own retrofit and put it down step by step.....so you cant fail.........You can also follow this 2 Youtube Videos on how to do your own retrofit, but for us toyota guys we need to get the H4-H7 projectors so that we dont have to cut the back of the headlight like the guy in this video......the H4 and H7 are made to fit right in.
http://youtu.be/2UMlUfBbc1M
but will they fit an '01 ES? I know that some ES300's had projector housings already with the car, and that you simply had to replace the bulb. But with the '01 they are halogen