ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HID help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 09:44 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default HID help please!

Hi everyone. I've been busy and haven't been on here in a while. Decided to get myself an early birthday present and get some HID's for my headlights. I'm pretty much a noob at this so be patient with me. I have a 2002 ES.

- I know most people don't mess with the fog lights. I was planning on leaving them stock. Yay or nay? Do most people leave them stock?

-I don't want to mess with the brights because I never use them. Good or bad?

- I pretty much want as bright WHITE light as I can get. I don't want to blind people but I want them powerful. I don't want to mess with that blue light or any yellow light.

-I've heard of "plug and play". So yeah, if I can just screw the bulbs in that would be nice. Is that how most hid's are?

- And of course I want the best ones out there. I don't want them burning out fast.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?? Thanks
Old 06-14-11, 10:08 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first off does your current ES have halogens or HID's in reflector housings. If you are unsure open the hood and look for yellow warning stickers on each headlight. If those aren't there then they are in fact halogen.

You don't want to stick a "plug n play" kit in your halogen housings. They will have an uneven beam pattern that is blinding to others.

You have a few options. You can either have someone retrofit your current halogen housings with a brand new projector. It is expensive though.

You can purchase OEM or aftermarket replacement HID style reflector housings.

Or you can purchase OEM or aftermarket replacement HID style projector housings from the Es330 model (05-06). Which is what I did to my 02 ES.

I shopped around on eBay for a good deal because getting them new is very expensive. The only downside is you don't know the quality/care of them until you have them in person.

I can give you exact instructions on how to install/remove the headlights for our model. Retrofit is the coolest option. Whether it's the old Infiniti Q45 Projectors or a basic tsx. There are many examples in the lighting forum.

As for the fogs, I haven't messed with mine yet but I am going to be getting a 3000k plug n play kit. It isn't as frowned upon to put HID's in foglight housings because they are small and close to ground level.

If you want WHITE light you'll want 5000k. If you want any hint of blue then get 6000k. But either way your projectors will show some blue light in the cutoff.
Old 06-15-11, 09:16 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

We can help you with vehicle specific questions, but HIDs are an indepth technology. I suggest you do your own research online to find different all answers and options that fit you.
Old 06-15-11, 09:44 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you for both your replies.

Megafast - i need to check to see what lights i have. I know we have the exact same ES though, color and everything.
"You can purchase OEM or aftermarket replacement HID style reflector housings.

Or you can purchase OEM or aftermarket replacement HID style projector housings from the Es330 model (05-06). Which is what I did to my 02 ES."

what's the difference between the 2 options? I'm going to focus on the headlights before anything. Your car looks good and your foglights are stock.
Old 06-16-11, 09:34 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do want to buy OEM headlights I suggest the Projectors. They will have much better output and perfect cutoff.

Here's what each essentially look like:

Reflector:

Projectors:

As for the foglights I just ordered my Putco Jet Yellow's yesterday
Old 06-24-11, 06:36 AM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased this 35w kit:http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
a few months ago. I got the 4500K and they are natural bright white. They do sell a 5000K but i believe those begin to give off a blue tint. I paid about $45 after shipping for 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts. Be sure to get the 35w and not the 55w because apparently the 55w can melt our housing.

Wiring is very simple, simply replace your current bulbs with these HID bulbs and connect the ballast between your existing headlight wires and your new bulbs. A 5 minute install process.

I am VERY happy with the quality of this kit.
Old 06-24-11, 12:08 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct me if I'm wrong but they make some pretty good "plug and play" kits for the 02 and up ES300s. . .I'll do some research but I'm pretty sure. . .

when I was googling for projectors and halos and whatnot for my es (which is a 2001) all i pretty much found were kits and halos for 02 and up. . .I'll do some research though and see what I find. . .

good luck in the meantime