ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

timing belt and water pump kit??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 08:01 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nfsuw
question about the kits from ebay, i remember reading somewhere, where someone was having issues with the waterpump gasket where it would leak, i think they had to rebuy it from toyota/lexus. does anyone know if it is still an issue, or if it was an isolated event. (dont quite remember, read it a while ago)
not sure if there was an actual issue with it, but I did buy a kit from ebay and had no problems with the water pump at all. however, the gasket it came with was literally some flimsy paper material. there was no way I was putting that on there after taking everything out just to get to it. The OEM gasket is a thick metal gasket, which I trust much more than the paper one I got with the kit. The OEM gasket is 6 dollars so it's not like it will set you back much. The paper gasket may or may not fail, but are you willing to take everything back out just to replace the gasket later on? I'd rather just spend the 6 dollars and have peace of mind.
Old 06-20-11, 09:07 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatES300
not sure if there was an actual issue with it, but I did buy a kit from ebay and had no problems with the water pump at all. however, the gasket it came with was literally some flimsy paper material. there was no way I was putting that on there after taking everything out just to get to it. The OEM gasket is a thick metal gasket, which I trust much more than the paper one I got with the kit. The OEM gasket is 6 dollars so it's not like it will set you back much. The paper gasket may or may not fail, but are you willing to take everything back out just to replace the gasket later on? I'd rather just spend the 6 dollars and have peace of mind.
Agreed. Also use only OEM cam and crank seals.
Old 06-21-11, 06:12 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishJoe
A gasket is a gasket. If you install it correctly, you won't have any problems.

I used the ebay water pump and gasket. Put a light coating of gray RTV on both sides and bolted it up. No leaks.
Not all gaskets are the same (i.e. material, thickness, tolerance, etc).
It is like saying all running shoes are the same.
Or all tires are the same.
Old 06-21-11, 01:19 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BDSL
Yes, there's no point in replacing a rear valve cover gasket with a non-OEM part.
Old 06-22-11, 07:50 AM
PolishJoe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
I've installed THOUSANDS of gaskets of different brands for all makes and models of cars throughout the years and I've never had a problem with any of them. I don't care if it's a rear main seal, valve cover gasket, cam seal gasket, etc.

I guess it may depend on the level of a persons mechanical aptitude, but if there's a chance someone might screw it up on installation, an OEM part is not going to save them.
Old 06-22-11, 07:51 AM
PolishJoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeLex
Yes, there's no point in replacing a rear valve cover gasket with a non-OEM part.
And why is that? You need a better explanation than that.
Old 06-23-11, 10:46 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

if there's a chance someone might screw it up on installation, an OEM part is not going to save them
Correct!

I've installed THOUSANDS of gaskets of different brands for all makes and models of cars throughout the years and I've never had a problem with any of them.
I don't doubt it at all.

My point is different though: I'm a car owner, not an auto mechanic. As such, it's not just about fixing a problem. It's also about durability and reliability. After 12 years my rear valve cover gasket started leaking. I don't think that would be a wise decision to replace it with a non-OEM gasket that could fix the leak for 1 or 2 years, especially considering the high $$ of labor paid. As you can see, car owners and auto mechanics have different point of views and that's the way life is...
Old 06-23-11, 02:41 PM
PolishJoe
Rookie

MikeLex, I'm not an auto mechanic, though I do have an engineering degree and work as an elevator mechanic/installer. I have however worked on cars as a hobby for the better part of 20 years. Many of my friends are auto mechanics or also interested in working on cars as a hobby.

The bottom line is that parts, especially such as gaskets (rubber, paper, metal, etc) will have very little to any difference in quality or tolerances when compared to OEM parts.

If you go to Lexus, of course they will install OEM parts in your vehicle. But most folks take their car to their local shop or mechanic. Those shops will 90% of the time use an aftermarket part from their local parts store if it's available, without any problems or reliability. If these aftermarket parts caused problems, don't you think these shops would avoid this and use only OEM parts?

Like I said originally, if a competent trained person with mechanical aptitude works on a car, it makes little difference if aftermarket or OEM parts are used. As an example, look at the aftermarket parts industry. Many folks are happy to swap out their OEM parts for some aftermarket piece advertised to increase power, handling, fuel economy, etc. Look at how many people choose to replace their stock OEM suspension with lowering springs, drop spindles, larger tire and wheel combinations. Do those folks think by altering their suspension geometry they know something that works better than Toyota engineers designed? I could go on with more examples but I think you get my point.
Old 06-23-11, 03:17 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

There are many types of rubber.
http://www.merl-ltd.co.uk/2003_materials/rubber12.shtml

Each have their chemical compatibilities, temperature range, etc

Same goes with metal. They have different grades and specs.

The thing is that you might not want to risk using some "aftermarket" parts for critical and "labour" intensive areas. i.e. front / rear main seals, cam seals. If they do crap out, it would cost a lot. Is it really worth saving the money? And people don't usually keep their cars that long or push their vehicles to max limit to see the reliability of the part. If it is something easy to get to (i.e. valve cover gaskets, thermostat gasket, brake pads/rotors, etc) by all means, save a few dollars there.

Btw, I am a mechanical engineer by degree. I have worked in aerospace/defense/water treatment/rail/security sector for a while now. I too have a hobby car (MR2 +330rwhp) and work on all sort of vehicles. And I have spent a lot of time and money fixing mistakes done by previous auto-mechanics because they were using improper sealants/gaskets...causing turbocharger failure and other problems $$$$..... I just do my own work now. I don't trust most mechanics....
Old 06-24-11, 12:15 AM
PolishJoe
Rookie

I hear you BDSL, I don't trust too many mechanics either and that's the main reason I learned to work on cars. Though I do have some friends that are great mechanics and they've showed me a thing or two throughout the years.

But it's always nicer to do things yourself if possible, knowing you can take your time, do it the right way and save some money.
Old 06-24-11, 05:45 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PolishJoe
I hear you BDSL, I don't trust too many mechanics either and that's the main reason I learned to work on cars. Though I do have some friends that are great mechanics and they've showed me a thing or two throughout the years.

But it's always nicer to do things yourself if possible, knowing you can take your time, do it the right way and save some money.
That was mainly the reason why I learned to work on cars too. First, it was too many mistakes/damages (i.e. long down time, expensive, and then potentially dangerous). If I am going to die in my car, at least I was the cause of my death....not some careless mechanic who just wants your money.

At first it was a learning curve with some initial cost (i.e. tools, mistakes, manuals, etc). But once into it for a while, everything is smooth and quick.
Old 06-24-11, 08:59 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I started doing my own repairs because my repair shop would over torque the studs whenever they installed a wheel. I would get a flat and have to break the stud off to change the tire.

My next big repair will be a timing belt water pump replacement.
Old 06-24-11, 10:08 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tomf
My next big repair will be a timing belt water pump replacement.
Well, it is your choice to go aftermarket or OEM parts assuming you know the potential risk....
Old 06-24-11, 10:30 AM
techtalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, I just want to express my discontent with eBay knock-off timing belt/water pump kits- I bought an after market kit for my Aunt's '97 ES300 and thought that the craftsmanship of a knock-off brand should be up to snuff. Much to my dismay, the welds on the water pump were sloppier than a drunken Tara Reid at a frat party Furthermore, the timing belt kit didn't even include the belt tensioner! Needless to say, I'm sticking with OEM Lexus parts from now on. If you shop around and buy the parts from Craigslist (new and local pick up only of course) or lexuspartsnow.com then the price disparity between OEM and after market is negligible.

Rant-off for now