ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

apparently bought a bad vehicle, input needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 11:42 AM
zosig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apparently bought a bad vehicle, input needed

hey all, new to posting but have been roaming for a while. i don't want to waste your time so here's the story and i appreciate all the help

05 es330 purchased cash from a toyota dealer as-is with ~62000 miles
at time of purchase defects noted were auto leveling headlight warning light, few small cuts in leather, loose front passenger headlight, and loose brake, no weird noise / sound with 2 test drives

car fax showed clean record, dealer reports clean record / title

also purchased the toyota extra care platinum 6yr 100k

registration and plate already in hand, waiting on title (any day now)

things done since: tinting / wheel lock / sun shade

sometime in between i noticed grinding noise coming from back wheel area (r>l) when going over speed pump, on uneven road, or pressing down on trunk, thought about bushing, control arm, struts...

took car in to a lexus dealer to check on the above issues and other minor thing and got a call back stating the vehicle's base was flooded in Maryland and it's gonna be ~ 2g to fix the base... F### me

what are my options now?

talk to the seller (toyota dealer) for return or reimbursement
SOL
sue

?

i actually took my time to look for a nice 05-06 es330. i went to many dealers and tested out many es330s and sad to say now this one was the best of all at that time ...
Old 06-27-11, 12:15 PM
DannyCO
Driver School Candidate

I think I would take it to another mechanic/dealer for a second opinion. How does he know it was flooded in MD, it didn't show up on the CarFax did it?
Old 06-27-11, 12:24 PM
zosig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DannyCO
I think I would take it to another mechanic/dealer for a second opinion. How does he know it was flooded in MD, it didn't show up on the CarFax did it?
that's what i was just thinking...

carfax has clean record, the lexus rep actually printed a copy of all lexus dealer visits / maintenance record since new and not abnormalities were seen on the report.

i have no clue where they got MD from honestly.. i'm going to pick up the car and take it to a closer toyota dealer for inspection and then to another lexus dealer for inspection if needed....

i also just got a call from the seller asking how the car is doing
Old 06-27-11, 12:34 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

sigh. . .I hate (strong word, but seriously HATE) shady people. . .was this dealership a "shady" dealership? or was it a more well known one? Also, was the CARFAX a real CARFAX? or was it one of those quick print out vehicle history reports?

Typically when buying a car they do have a refund option - however, it usually comes with a price. My '01 ES300 had a refund policy stating that I only had two weeks to return it, and any mileage over 150 miles from the original odometer reading would cost $2.50 for every additional mile. Luckily, I didn't have to return it!!! I'm so sorry though about the situation you're in. I've bought cars from dealerships (some quite reputable) that gave me everything I wanted to know - but they were very good at hiding the bad.

Now, whenever I go shopping for a car, I bring two people:

1. My mechanic bud John
2. My wife (she will ask a question 5 different ways just to see if the salesman knows what he's talking about - if he/she doesn't know, she'll go higher up lol)

If you can't return it, I honestly don't know what to say to help. All I can help out with potentially is giving you some advice for future reference. I'd bring people with me that know a bunch about cars - I don't know much about vehicles, so I now bring a mechanic with me to help me inspect. And my wife or someone that is good at interoggating. I don't always need her, but if I feel uneasy at ANY point, she's the one I call. Buying a car SHOULD be a pleasant experience. . .from the initial test drive, to the purchase, to the keys in hand, and many weeks down the road (my dealership calls me monthly to ask how I'm liking the car and if there has been any problems with it). And lastly, dealerships are supposed to repair (as much as they can) any cosmetic problems with the car. If it's a '05, there really shouldn't be ANY cuts in the leather or ANY problems with the auto leveling. . .There is that rare occasion that something may go wrong with the newer toyotas, but it's not often.

But back to your question. I would go into the dealership (don't call, because you'll end up on hold forever and that will just make you more irritated imo) and see if you can return it. You might have to pay to return it, but imo it's better to pay a few hundred to return it than a few thousand for damage that you didn't do. I would try to take it as high as one of the lead mechanics or the owner of the dealership. You should have been informed of this damage. Also, check over your warranty and see if it covers it.

I really hope this helps some. And good luck with this. Let me know how it goes!
Old 06-27-11, 12:34 PM
DannyCO
Driver School Candidate

If there really is a problem, will the toyota extra care platinum 6yr 100k cover it? If not, what does it cover?
Old 06-27-11, 01:06 PM
zosig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xXTimmayXx
sigh. . .I hate (strong word, but seriously HATE) shady people. . .was this dealership a "shady" dealership? or was it a more well known one? Also, was the CARFAX a real CARFAX? or was it one of those quick print out vehicle history reports?

Typically when buying a car they do have a refund option - however, it usually comes with a price. My '01 ES300 had a refund policy stating that I only had two weeks to return it, and any mileage over 150 miles from the original odometer reading would cost $2.50 for every additional mile. Luckily, I didn't have to return it!!! I'm so sorry though about the situation you're in. I've bought cars from dealerships (some quite reputable) that gave me everything I wanted to know - but they were very good at hiding the bad.

Now, whenever I go shopping for a car, I bring two people:

1. My mechanic bud John
2. My wife (she will ask a question 5 different ways just to see if the salesman knows what he's talking about - if he/she doesn't know, she'll go higher up lol)

If you can't return it, I honestly don't know what to say to help. All I can help out with potentially is giving you some advice for future reference. I'd bring people with me that know a bunch about cars - I don't know much about vehicles, so I now bring a mechanic with me to help me inspect. And my wife or someone that is good at interoggating. I don't always need her, but if I feel uneasy at ANY point, she's the one I call. Buying a car SHOULD be a pleasant experience. . .from the initial test drive, to the purchase, to the keys in hand, and many weeks down the road (my dealership calls me monthly to ask how I'm liking the car and if there has been any problems with it). And lastly, dealerships are supposed to repair (as much as they can) any cosmetic problems with the car. If it's a '05, there really shouldn't be ANY cuts in the leather or ANY problems with the auto leveling. . .There is that rare occasion that something may go wrong with the newer toyotas, but it's not often.

But back to your question. I would go into the dealership (don't call, because you'll end up on hold forever and that will just make you more irritated imo) and see if you can return it. You might have to pay to return it, but imo it's better to pay a few hundred to return it than a few thousand for damage that you didn't do. I would try to take it as high as one of the lead mechanics or the owner of the dealership. You should have been informed of this damage. Also, check over your warranty and see if it covers it.

I really hope this helps some. And good luck with this. Let me know how it goes!

this is a mid sized toyota dealership with pretty good traffic during my multiple visits. it's the legitimate carfax not some unknown history report system

1. sadly i don't have a trust worthy mechanic, or any, as i have done most of the works myself on my other cars. BIG MY BAD for not getting a pre purchase inspection i suppose...

2. I was as thorough as I could as that time, asking every little things and visually inspected multiple times for extended time, in the end that tells you i'm no mechanic at all... worse thing is there is no one in the house who is more inclined as far as auto goes (buying/selling/maintenance). i did take a family member in as the backup driver

i thought about PPI seriously but for some reason it was never in my head during the deal

i'm thinking about taking the car back from the lexus dealer with their "flood report" and take the car to a nearby toyota dealer and start the entire process again as if nothing has happened and try to get their opinion

the platinum covers everything except for daily wearing items (oil, filter, brake, fluids etc) but the problem is that they won't cover anything from flood damages (it's an insurance issue)

the entire buying experience was fine until we got a call from the lexus dealer about this "MD flood" today.

*** just got a call lexus thinks all the lights, brakes, back noise are caused by rust from exposing to salt water, they are working on an official report which i can use

thanks for the input

Originally Posted by DannyCO
If there really is a problem, will the toyota extra care platinum 6yr 100k cover it? If not, what does it cover?
see above, thanks for the input

if lexus does generate this "official report" i wonder if it's a done deal or is there still a need for 2nd opinion ....
Old 06-27-11, 01:20 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

It would never hurt to get a second opinion. . .the worst that can happen is the 2nd opinion isn't what you wanted to hear so just go with the first

Also. . .I geuss I can see the "salt water" thing up there from maryland. . .it does snow extensively up there so perhaps the previous owner didn't do much to get the salt off. That's why I try to buy cars from the south (just for future reference that's what I would recommend, but if you didn't know anything about this maryland issue, it's not your fault)^_^
Old 06-27-11, 01:48 PM
zosig
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xXTimmayXx
It would never hurt to get a second opinion. . .the worst that can happen is the 2nd opinion isn't what you wanted to hear so just go with the first

Also. . .I geuss I can see the "salt water" thing up there from maryland. . .it does snow extensively up there so perhaps the previous owner didn't do much to get the salt off. That's why I try to buy cars from the south (just for future reference that's what I would recommend, but if you didn't know anything about this maryland issue, it's not your fault)^_^

big time, i knew it came from up there but never thought about the weather this car might have gone through... got a call again an "inspector" will make the final determination as to if the bads are covered or not (normal failure vs snow damage i suppose). you are right 2nd opinion won't hurt but i don't want to drag this issue for too long. now waiting for a call on that official report and inspector say so
Old 06-27-11, 01:57 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If a dealership sold you a car that has flood damage without disclosing it, they'll have to give you your money back, they've committed fraud.

I would run your own CarFax and see, there's also national insurance databases that keep records of this that you can access for free (talk with your insurance company)

If you discover the car has been in a flood, make the dealership you bought it from give you a full refund, don't let them just repair it, and threaten to call your local attorney general's office. You NEVER want to own a flood damaged car, way too many headaches.
Old 06-27-11, 02:04 PM
zosig
Driver School Candidate

Are they still at fault if they "did not know" about this flood? I want my $ back regardless but just curious.

I will run my own and report back

I don't want to own any car with any bad history. I'm either bad luck or just got screwed big time. Thanks.
Old 06-27-11, 02:17 PM
xXTimmayXx
Driver

Originally Posted by zosig
Are they still at fault if they "did not know" about this flood? I want my $ back regardless but just curious.

I will run my own and report back

I don't want to own any car with any bad history. I'm either bad luck or just got screwed big time. Thanks.
It is a dealerships job to know everything about the cars on their lot before they sell them; any dealership that "doesn't know" is either lying or completely worthless. . .

GO GET THAT MONEY BACK!!!
Old 06-27-11, 02:39 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Most dealers do very little inspection on the used cars they sell -- they do a once over and change the oil. The salt water is from the ocean/ bay -- thats a flood .........not salt from the roads ............ look at a map of MD!

They would not have sold a car with a flood title -- Did you call them up and discuss this? Maybe it was storm damage.

I find it hard to believe that a franchised toyota dealer would not take this car back if it had an insurance history of water damage.
Old 06-27-11, 08:46 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coulter
If a dealership sold you a car that has flood damage without disclosing it, they'll have to give you your money back, they've committed fraud.

I would run your own CarFax and see, there's also national insurance databases that keep records of this that you can access for free (talk with your insurance company)

If you discover the car has been in a flood, make the dealership you bought it from give you a full refund, don't let them just repair it, and threaten to call your local attorney general's office. You NEVER want to own a flood damaged car, way too many headaches.
^^^ Yup! Once they are aware they must. You bought the car as-is but under the understanding the car was ok. If that is not the case then you actually never had an agreement or contract.
Old 06-28-11, 11:14 AM
zosig
Driver School Candidate

official report will be finalized by end of day
received multiple photos showing extensive under body rust / corrosion damage (NOT covered by toyota extra care but that's not the issues now)
vehicle marked as dangerous to drive and will be held until i discuss the issue with seller... this is something major and easy spot per lexus so at this point seller let it slip it seems... i can't get into the details at this point until it's resolve but will keep thread updated...
Old 06-28-11, 03:06 PM
abobiznow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope it all works out. it must be such a hassle. good luck.

Quick Reply: apparently bought a bad vehicle, input needed