ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suddenly 1 Speaker went out, 1 is at 20%

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 05:08 AM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly 1 Speaker went out, 1 is at 20%

'95 ES300

A few weeks ago my rear right speaker stopped working and my front drivers side speaker is at 20% power. Is this the cause of the stock radio?

I only listen to satellite radio in my car via FM transmitter. The tape deck quit working long ago. Even prior to the speakers going out, ive been looking into getting an aftermarket headunit, a simple one that has an AUX input for my Sat. Radio reciever. However, my understanding is that it is recommended to bypass the amp. and apparently it's not the easiest job.

Are the speakers out because of the lexus headunit and what is my best option considering my problem and the fact that i only listen to Sat. Radio. Thanks.
Old 06-28-11, 05:34 AM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Why dont you just change to a single din unit and use this kit for it, it comes with the wire harness to hook up to the car radio harness so you still be hooked up to your amp no need to by pass it.
Then you will know if you need to replace the speakers or the amp.

95 ES radio Kit w/amp harness
Old 06-28-11, 05:44 AM
immax01
Rookie

Originally Posted by MyEs300Yea
Why dont you just change to a single din unit and use this kit for it, it comes with the wire harness to hook up to the car radio harness so you still be hooked up to your amp no need to by pass it.
Then you will know if you need to replace the speakers or the amp.

95 ES radio Kit w/amp harness
From what I read about installing a headunit with that harness and not bypassing the factory amp is that there will be engine noise heard from the speakers.
Old 06-28-11, 06:22 AM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

im pretty sure there is a noise filter already wired with in the system, im going to do my whole system in a few days, changing mainly because i cant play MP3's on the stock unit.
I will let you know if i see a noise filter or if the new radio picks up engine noise.
Old 06-28-11, 06:35 AM
immax01
Rookie

Originally Posted by MyEs300Yea
im pretty sure there is a noise filter already wired with in the system, im going to do my whole system in a few days, changing mainly because i cant play MP3's on the stock unit.
I will let you know if i see a noise filter or if the new radio picks up engine noise.
Hey check this thread out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...fier-help.html

Everyone is saying that if you connect an aftermarket headunit to your stock amp, there will be engine noise. However, some people are saying that installing a ground loop isolator between the RCA cables of the harness and the radio fixes the noise problem.

If your noise filter doesn't work, a pair of GLI's would apparently work.
Old 06-28-11, 07:14 AM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Thats true, i had to use that before in some of my past cars, especially the older models 87 and under.
Old 06-29-11, 04:46 PM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

Did my radio today, i looked and couldnt find a noise filter in there, i knew i should have picked one up, oh well it will be ok for a few days till i get the filter.....I used one of those harness i sent you a link of, and its pretty easy, super easy you can do it blind folded
Old 06-30-11, 09:38 AM
kennruckey
Driver School Candidate

Please excuse me for jumping in here, but I don't know how to start my own post (Help with that would be welcome too). But my 6 CD Changer on my 1995 ES300 does not load the CD that are in it and it won't eject the stack. It tries but the door won't open and if it does the stack does not pop out. Any ideas?? Or maybe who I would need to send it to? Kenn
Old 06-30-11, 11:31 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kennruckey
Please excuse me for jumping in here, but I don't know how to start my own post (Help with that would be welcome too). But my 6 CD Changer on my 1995 ES300 does not load the CD that are in it and it won't eject the stack. It tries but the door won't open and if it does the stack does not pop out. Any ideas?? Or maybe who I would need to send it to? Kenn
Not worth having a shop try to fix it IMO. At least $100.00, better spent on a good working unit off EBay. Just take it apart and fix it yourself. I've fixed several of these, from different cars, and it's almost always dried grease or dirt that gums up the mechanism. With the case off, you should be able to watch it work if you spin the belt/cog that moves the ejection mechanism by hand, or sometimes with it plugged into the wiring harness. Observe carefully and you'll see where it gets stuck....or sometimes just a thorough cleaning and lube, at points where the factory put it, will work. I generally use white lithium grease.

To start a new thread, click the 'new thread' button at the top left of the forum banner. You need to be signed in of course.