ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Swaybar Endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 07:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Swaybar Endlinks

So I noticed that I have too much play in the swaybar links on all four corners. I was a bit surprised to see that they are $70 each from the Lexus dealer that I use. Does anyone have a recommendation on which brand to stick with and where to get them? I want something that will last and perform as well as OEM.
Old 07-21-11, 07:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

I would strongly recommend you stick with OEM parts here. I've read too many stories of people going with Moog etc., and ending having to replace them again in short order. The problem with some of these aftermarket parts is you can't be sure of the quality, they can be made in different factories from different suppliers, so you may get a quality part, and you may get a very substandard unit. Moog is especially bad for this from what I've read.

So unless you want to do the job twice, just stick with OE parts.

edit - if I were to go with any aftermarket part here, I would go with Beck Arnley. Just my opinion.

Last edited by LeX2K; 07-21-11 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 09:29 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I see, it seems like everything on Toyotas should be only replaced with OEM. This is one of the reasons why I like this company, everything they make is done with quality in mind.

Now about the rear swaybar, mine is a litle corroded in the middle (under the gas tank). It seems like surface rust and not much else. Do you recommend replacing the whole thing since it's only $60 or maybe just sanding/painting over it?
Old 07-21-11, 09:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The rust doesn't really do any harm, I did a quick sand job and painted mine with a small brush, but only because I didn't like the way it looked. Paint or replace it only if you are worried about the appearance.

I also painted the end links, they come with a brass (I think) coating, but that won't last too long, so I lightly sanded them, masked the joints and painted with black automotive paint.
Old 07-21-11, 11:26 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I personally think the OEM ones are a waste. $140 for a pair of sway end links on a car that supposed to ride like a Buick? No thanks.

I got a pair at NAPA for something like $40, and it's worked great. Sway links are hardly rocket science, and they all eventually wear out. My factory ones were completely shot, and I didn't even notice until I went under the car and poked around. It takes all of ten minutes to change them out. Will the OEM ones last longer? Maybe, but my guess is I will still get several years out of them.

On some parts I understand only going OEM, and if money is of no concern, go for it. But on a car that's worth around $5,000, I'd have a hard time justifying it. If you're interested in crisper handling, you'd see a MUCH bigger difference with an aftermarket rear sway bay that's larger with cheaper aftermarket sway links, and it would also cost close to the same. Adding a larger rear sway bar really wakes up handling, and it has almost no ride penalty.
Old 07-21-11, 11:35 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
I personally think the OEM ones are a waste. $140 for a pair of sway end links on a car that supposed to ride like a Buick? No thanks.

I got a pair at NAPA for something like $40, and it's worked great. Sway links are hardly rocket science, and they all eventually wear out. My factory ones were completely shot, and I didn't even notice until I went under the car and poked around. It takes all of ten minutes to change them out. Will the OEM ones last longer? Maybe, but my guess is I will still get several years out of them.

On some parts I understand only going OEM, and if money is of no concern, go for it. But on a car that's worth around $5,000, I'd have a hard time justifying it. If you're interested in crisper handling, you'd see a MUCH bigger difference with an aftermarket rear sway bay that's larger with cheaper aftermarket sway links, and it would also cost close to the same. Adding a larger rear sway bar really wakes up handling, and it has almost no ride penalty.
What company would you recommend? I wouldn't mind having a bit of a sharper response.
Old 07-22-11, 02:05 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

THE OEM REAR SWAY BAR LINKS ARE THE WORST EVER!!!!!!!!

i repeat....DO NOT GET OEM REAR SWAY BAR LINKS!

the best replacement u can get are MOOG problem solver rear sway bar links
or Deeza Rear sway bar links. they both have a upgraded design that will make sure that u can remove it with ease.
Old 07-22-11, 03:57 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

u can see the links on the top left corner

the reason why i stress that they are better is that they have a better design.
OEM links, u tighten them by sticking a hex key in the middle of the bolt at the same having wrench off the nut. this is very very bad design because the hex hole always strips. I've had to grind/cut off 3 OEM rear sway bar links now because of this problem.

the moog problem solver has a different design where they built a welded in nut at the bottom of the bolt so u can stick ur wrench between the rear sway bar and the joint and simply wrench away and tighten it. u can easily take it off the same way.
Old 07-22-11, 03:57 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

plus...look at the size of that thing.....much much beefier than the OEM POS
Old 07-22-11, 07:25 AM
97'ES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moog has been great for me...
Old 07-22-11, 11:02 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Jeeez, so many different opinions. I'll try Moog, it's half the cost of OEM.
Old 07-22-11, 12:46 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Jeeez, so many different opinions. I'll try Moog, it's half the cost of OEM.
Moog is usually a good bet, they're the OEM supplier for several automakers. If anything, I would say the Moog ones are probably superior to the ones from the dealer. You could easily get away with even cheaper brands than Moog.

I'm definitely in the camp that the Lexus/Toyota branded ones are overpriced, especially for this type of part.
Old 07-22-11, 01:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting info about the Moog rear links. I am down on Moog because I know several people that have used them, and they didn't even last a year.
Old 07-22-11, 01:40 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

^it's because they forgot to grease it and install the 8mm grease cap bolt.

or they got the fake ones
Old 07-22-11, 08:29 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

On Rock Auto, they have several Moog endlinks. Which ones are the real deal?

Quick Reply: Swaybar Endlinks