ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

BUCKING is now GONE!!! FINALLY !!!! =D

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 01:02 PM
LEXUS3JR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up BUCKING is now GONE!!! FINALLY !!!! =D

So I bought a 95 ES300 and installed a 65k mile engine in it. Put a bunch of new parts including radiator, cv joints, and fuel filter. About 2 months after havinf the car, it started bucking when I would accelerate, The rpms, would jump up and dowm, and I would not dare floor the gas peda in traffic. God Ive been researching up and down and tried almost EVERYTHING!, TPS, coolant temperature sensor, replaced air intake elbow, checked for vaccum leaks, checked transmissin fluid, put in a new throttle cable, replaced injectors, changed sensors galore! cleaned the maf, replaced the maf, tightened battery clamps, I can't even remember what else. Ive been at it for two months trying to figure the problem out. FUNNy thing is, I had no check engine light, and the car would buck on acceleration, and sometimes just die on me, I didnt even have to go far, I could barely make it down the road. My brothers both being mechanics, thought theyd put both their heads together, checked here and there sensors and wiring, just diagnosing and all I could tell them was that the bucking, hesitation, or flat spot had only gotten worse over time. Anyway, heres what we found......drum roll please....

The ****ing strainer on the fuel pump had gotten so full of rusty paste that it just wouldnt get anymore fuel in to the pump itself, or however it works. The car would hesitate for lack of fuel. We sprayed it down with car carb cleaner and reinstalled and drove it a bit. On the 2nd run the bucking was gone! I could've cried I was so happy. I decided I needed to clean my fuel tank out, replace the srainer, and fuel filer. Tank is outside as I type, drying up.Please google on how to clean your tank if this is your case. Pull your back seat out and take the fuel pump out and take a look at the striner, if its clogged clean it off with carb cleaner and gve the car a few runs. Today my strainer, was already accumulating the pasty rust agin. I had to clea the tank out, and the gas looked so brown and dark, it couldve been mud. I hope this helps anyone who is having this issue, and will encounter it in the future. This just goes to show me that some people take sorry as care of their cars. Never will I let the gas go lower than a quarter tank. Sorry this was long, but after 2 months of diagnosing, in this 100 degree weather, I had to get my 5 minutes of "happy time" to share with you guys.
Old 08-01-11, 05:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

This is also a great example of why you shouldn't just throw parts at a car without first diagnosing the issue. I'm glad you brought up the fuel pressure/flow, because that's one thing I forgot about. That other guy should definitely check his. Thanks for the insight, it might come in handy with my car having 175k miles.
Old 08-09-11, 04:56 PM
LuvYurMthr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I will try this and if it works.... I might cry tears of joy. Thanks for taking the time to explain!!
Old 08-09-11, 09:22 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

wow never knew it could get that bad
congratulations on the successful diagnosis!

i'm glad i got my fuel tank rebuilt
it's was cleaned inside out, recoated completely in a urethane fibre mix.
all for the price of $175