ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 04:51 AM
turtle54
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window issue

I seem to have a short in the wires that run thru
the door hinge that operates the master switch. Does anyone know
the way to get to these wires without too much trouble. Do I have
to take the door off? or should I take it to the shop? Any help would
be great. Thanks (93 es300)
Old 08-04-11, 07:42 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same car and had similer problems last year. I needed to find a couple of broken wires that were messing up my mirror control and door-locks. You need to get at the bundle of wires inside the rubber sleeve in the door jamb.
First, at the bottom of the carpeted panel just forward of the door, by your drivers left foot, pull gently upward and out. No need to remove the plastic trim extending upward from the door sill. This will expose the wiring inside the body cavity. There's some slack, not much, so you can pull each wire inward from the door/rubber sleeve.
Next, with a razor type knife, like a small X-acto, slit the rubber sleeve to allow you to see the wires running through from the door. You might be able to see a broken wire or one with exposed insulation, by gently pulling on them from the inside access hole, and by gripping each one from the rubber sleeve end and the inside end and pulling back and forth.
The above steps assume you don't know which wire(s) are causing the problem, and only address wiring from the door jamb to the inside harness, but may reveal the obvious one(s) with out doing anything more.
Next step would be to remove the door panel and do further diagnostics. Scroll down here to find my post on removing the panel https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post6506238 Once it's off the door, you can now trace each wire from the power window switch and hopefully locate the culprit(s). Panel removal is not hard to do, and in your case, would probably be the best thing to do, since the problem may be inside the door anyway (like a short to ground).
Once the problem wire is located, like a break or worn-off insulation, I'd recommend cutting it, stripping off the ends about 1/4", then either twist together ('rat-tale' splice) or twist lengthwise and solder, then tape. If the problem is inside the rubber sleeve, don't use a crimp butt connector. Too much stress on the wires from opening/closing the door, which caused the problem in the first place. If there's not enough slack to repair, add a piece of wire between the broken ends.
Post back how you made out. This forum works on contributions and feedback.