ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Pic of my ES with lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 02:19 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok, my bad... ...I guess that's doable, but just take caution that's all since you don't have too much room in there. Or you can do this, put the car on jack stands, then use the jack to elevate the axle carrier from the bottom so the springs will compress, then put the clips on. Just a thought.

Luc
Old 09-25-02, 03:19 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, that is what i can do, except i dont have jack stands. I was thinking i could get some cinder blocks with rags on them to set the car on, then use the jack on the axle. I can only see one ring of the springs though when i look up in the wheel well. how can i get to more of the spring?
Old 09-25-02, 04:34 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by EGainer
yeah, that is what i can do, except i dont have jack stands. I was thinking i could get some cinder blocks with rags on them to set the car on, then use the jack on the axle. I can only see one ring of the springs though when i look up in the wheel well. how can i get to more of the spring?
you dont need more than 1 wheel up at a time do you?? you can use the spare tire changer jack thingie. just be careful when working with springs cuz my friend ended up with a purple and black thumb and half a missing thumbnail.
Old 09-25-02, 05:58 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

ooo, no i only need one wheel up at a time. i would jack the car up, take off the tire, lower the car down on some cinder blocks, then put the jack under the axle and jack up the axle and put the clips on then tighten them til the spring was compressed.... how do I get to more of the spring, all i can see is one coil...
Old 09-25-02, 08:02 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

err... do NOT do this one wheel at a time. those scissor "jack" 's provided by lexus can't exactly hold THAT much weight for such a long time. my mom had a bad experience with her scissor jack, so i'm not exactly lifting my car even high enough to change oil. get some jack stands. you might need them later on if you're a car fanatic as i am. they actually aren't that expensive, but if you might use them a lot, they'll be worth it.
Old 09-25-02, 11:02 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i would not leave the car on a jack for a long time... here was the plan. jack up the car, take the wheel off. get some cinder blocks with lots of rags on them, set the car frame on those. then, take the jack and jack up the axle. put the spring clip on and tighten it. remove the jack, put the wheel back on. and lower the car back down with the jack. the jack isnt used for a long time.

oh, im a car fanatic. but i dont change my own oil or anything. if i need the car up i pull two wheels on a curb. or i get those ramps

Last edited by EGainer; 09-25-02 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-26-02, 01:42 AM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

COOL !
Old 09-26-02, 02:05 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

Honestly, IMO, if you can only see ONE coil when the wheel is off and the axle is NOT even touched, compressing it will only create less room for you to try to put the spring clips on. It will be a hazard. You are better of paying someone to get it done.

Luc
Old 09-26-02, 02:53 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

yeah, i guess that made sense. I was just wondering how you got to yours... I guess I should just go for aftermarket springs. If I ever get a job i mean
Old 09-26-02, 03:48 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

I took the entire strut/spring assembly out, then used the compressor that I had displayed, and finally, loosened the strut nut to take the strut mounts, dust boots, bump stops, and couple of other various parts, before removing the springs. If you can actually take the entire assemblies out first, then just have a shop remove/replace the springs, so you can have some savings there. Again, I would advise against it if you are not sure.

Luc
Old 09-26-02, 10:19 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

what is the smoothest ride i can get from an aftermarker lowering system? I only need a 1.6 - 2" drop
Old 09-26-02, 02:13 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

If you plan on using stock struts, it won't matter too much what lowering springs you get, since it will still be smooth. However, if the stock struts cannot handle the lowering spring's rate, you will have a bouncy ride when you go over road imperfections, bumps, railroad tracks, etc. For a 1.6"-2.0" drop, you can probably get ones from Sprint or Intrax, but the Sprint may give uneven ride height. There is also the H&R Sport, which is advertised as 1.3"/1.4" drop. It would be better to get upgraded struts as well, especially with all those stereo equipment in your ES.

Luc

Last edited by Luc; 09-26-02 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-26-02, 05:08 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Ohh that reminds me, there are some speed bumps here at college that I bottom out on even when I go slow. Now I go really slow and don't hit, but even going a little fast I hit, while in other cars, they go over and dont hit...
Old 10-01-02, 10:46 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MAY BE A DONE DEAL

E gainer,

If you are bottoming out on a speed bump your springs could be shot!......You do have a 94 and they may have done their time. Shocks too. But like what was said earlier if you do a 1.6 - 2" drop you WILL HAVE TO change the stock struts. Personally I think that is too much for the ES if you have 17" rims or more...it looks out of proportion. I have the H&R's with a 1" drop all the way around....with 17" wheels and the fender well gap is perfect, nice and even all the way around the tire. I have pics in the gallery a close up shot of my wheel "NYC ES3 60-0 MPH concept".......If you are going to change the Springs on a 94 its best to kill two birds with one stone and do the struts also....KYB has an adustable damper strut that will fit on the ES....they sell it on tirerack.com...check into that..........1.2" or so is the max U wanna go with stock shocks......On the ES in my opinion IT NEEDS a drop with a little stiffer ride...that wishy washy floaty feeling it has stock is Crap........now my ES can whip those turns right and feel solid while doin it......when it was stock i felt like it was gonna go up on two wheels !!
Old 10-02-02, 12:13 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i've noticed that it happens a lot when people are in my car, my car sinks down a lot when people get in.... I don't have big wheels, just 15" factory chrome... What do you think a good drop is for this? Would factory or aftermarket springs and struts cost more?

Quick Reply: Pic of my ES with lowering springs