ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Small wreck, Carbon Fiber Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 08:00 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Small wreck, Carbon Fiber Hood?

Hey guys got in wreck few monthes back and really need to go ahead and fix the Lexus, Ill post pics in morning but I fixed finder and blinker light but my hood is bent and beyond repair so does anyone know of a place that sells Carbon Fiber hoods for the Es 300, was only thinking those BC it might be cheaper idk, but after pics let me know about the Carbon fiber hood
Old 09-05-11, 08:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Please don't put a carbon fiber hood on your Lexus. They were never tested in a crash test, so it might end up being dangerous if you ever get into another crash. And they are just played out and do not fit the style of the car.
Old 09-06-11, 05:37 AM
juvenchan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a normal hood and place a carbon fiber film.
mine is a black hood..
someone said my car look cool.. but i really want it to get paint.
Old 09-06-11, 07:02 AM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

why oh why?!!?!? you do not drive a civic or an accord or an integra or an eclipse!! its a es, treat it like one!
Old 09-06-11, 10:43 AM
exxonham
Driver

Hey Hey dont jump too much on me, I do treat my car as a true Lexus but just dont have 6-700 for a new hood and paint so just thought a carbon fiber one would be cheaper, plus I cant even find one for the es, Well guess question is ansewered and carbon fiber hood bad idea, guess ill jsut drive it wrecked cause it doesent hamper the driving at all and doesent look too bad so,
Old 09-06-11, 10:59 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, nothing wrong with carbon fiber hoods.

and no, having a CF hood won't affect **** when it comes to crashes LOL. hoods are never meant to save your life when you crash.

only difference is that CF parts will break by snapping in pieces. regular body parts bend and deform.

i would totally get a CF hood if any manufacturer starts to make it, but i doubt that is going to happen.
Old 09-06-11, 11:17 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a carbon fiber hood on my Lexus, I guess it's now considered a honda/eclipse/something else? Hmm I would hate to say that to the LFA owners...
PS carbon fiber isn't a bad thing on cars. Mine happens to be painted and you wouldn't tell if you were to just take a look at it.
Old 09-06-11, 01:37 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TLDriver
I have a carbon fiber hood on my Lexus, I guess it's now considered a honda/eclipse/something else? Hmm I would hate to say that to the LFA owners...
PS carbon fiber isn't a bad thing on cars. Mine happens to be painted and you wouldn't tell if you were to just take a look at it.
The LFA was designed with carbon fiber in mind - it's an exotic super car, your ES is not. If it's painted, it's fine, but think about the fact that you changed your car's crumple zones.
Old 09-07-11, 02:55 AM
marcoes300
Lead Lap

+1 for fiber carbon hood
Old 09-07-11, 09:52 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

what a retarded thread.

"HEY i wanna get a CF hood... should i do it..."

:blah blah:

"okay lol they don't sell them anyways"
Old 09-07-11, 10:10 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
The LFA was designed with carbon fiber in mind - it's an exotic super car, your ES is not. If it's painted, it's fine, but think about the fact that you changed your car's crumple zones.
hood don't do wack when it comes to crashes.
Old 09-07-11, 01:23 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by EEngineer
lol, nothing wrong with carbon fiber hoods.

and no, having a CF hood won't affect **** when it comes to crashes LOL. hoods are never meant to save your life when you crash.

only difference is that CF parts will break by snapping in pieces. regular body parts bend and deform.

i would totally get a CF hood if any manufacturer starts to make it, but i doubt that is going to happen.
Haha ya well that was my main question was if they even make them, but I dont see them making them, and not too worried about it in a crash cause air bags still work and frame is soild as a rock so pretty sure it be safe but just saying cause it would prob be alot cheaper than, new primed hood and then paint back to factory but just trying to go the cheapest route
Old 09-07-11, 01:26 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

CF hoods are way more expensive.
aftermarket hoods are not very expensive. you can get one brand new for around $150~200. it'll come in as black primed. paint will probably cost around another $150 ~$200
Old 09-07-11, 02:19 PM
worldforgo
Driver

Call me crazy but wouldn't a junkyard be the best place to look. I bet a Camry Hood might even fit with a little love and adjustment.
Old 09-08-11, 10:29 AM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EEngineer
hood don't do wack when it comes to crashes.
umm, surely you are not serious?! if the crumple zone didnt exist, this hood has a chance of going straight through the windshield and into the front passengers throat. carbon fiber is stronger than regular body panel and should shatter on impact, therefore dissipate energy rather than reverbrating thru the body of the car and the passengers, but that is not the point. point is it looks ungainly and out of place on a decade old lexus es.

http://my.is/forums/f93/fender-bende...e-zone-421497/

i agree with worldforgo though, junkyard would b the best place to go. with some luck, you can even end up getting on in same color, saving you the paintjob.

Quick Reply: Small wreck, Carbon Fiber Hood?