ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 01:06 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^you've gotta be kidding me.

those things are a waste of money.
Old 09-15-11, 01:10 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

The problem with this idea is that most people who think of it really have no idea how much air gets pumped by the engine during its normal operation. The engine acts as a big air pump and is capable of moving huge volumes of air all on its own. With that in mind, any electric fan that you place in the path of the intake is only going to act as an obstacle to efficient airflow and not provide any level of boost whatsoever. In order to provide boost, the fan has to be able to force more air through the intake than is already being sucked and that's simply not going to happen with some off-the-shelf computer fan or bilge exhaust blower or whatever else you've found or had marketed to you.

Electric Supercharger

Now that you realize how futile the idea of an electric supercharger is, consider the dangers. If you place something in the intake path between your air filter and the engine and that thing isn't made to be there, you now run the risk of having it break and send unfiltered pieces into your engine, potentially causing catastrophic failure. I would hope this is more than enough to discourage experimentation in this area.

As a general rule, if something seems too good to be true it generally is. Modifying a car to add power isn't a cheap endeavour and most of these sorts of shortcuts will only end up burning you in the end.

Interestingly, the company from whom I got that image above even has a small disclaimer on their site with a list of cars that showed no gain from their units. The list included GM's 2.4L engine in both the Grand Am and Cavalier Z24. I suspect it likely includes all cars from ripped-off customers who bothered to get the system dyno tested.

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturbo.aspx
Old 09-15-11, 02:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOnion
I'm just gonna keep it low-budget and buy one of these:
http://www.bestelectricsuperchargers.com/
I know that the website is lying and I won't actually get 50hp from this piece of crap, maybe 10 at the most. But if I combine this with my existing ram-air intake and get a custom exhaust job, I can maybe pull off 30hp (?).
Come on man, that stuff is waste of money and a gimmick..

Learn the hard way i guess...
Old 09-15-11, 03:40 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
Wow. Thank you, that makes alot more sense. I didn't think those things would work very well, but apparently they actually make airflow worse. I would have wasted $100.
Old 09-19-11, 04:19 PM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

I can't believe I'm actually reading and responding to this post.......

I'm just gonna keep it low-budget and buy one of these:
http://www.bestelectricsuperchargers.com/
I know that the website is lying and I won't actually get 50hp from this piece of crap, maybe 10 at the most. But if I combine this with my existing ram-air intake and get a custom exhaust job, I can maybe pull off 30hp (?).
Old 09-22-11, 02:58 PM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanhavie
I can't believe I'm actually reading and responding to this post.......
late but u did come around i see!! best way to learn is doing it, so please Alpha, go ahead and blow $4000 on getting a 50 hp gain on a 17 year old entry level family luxury sedan, which would make you oh-so-cool with the ladies! after all, that is what its all about isn't it?

funny how age changes you, 10 years ago, i might have actually thought abt this for a second, now i wont give it a second look! there are way nicer things to spend your money and time on in this world! i know i know, "sound like your grandpa" bla bla bla, but hey, truth is the truth!
Old 09-22-11, 06:25 PM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

Trust me, I know. I make barely over minimum wage, and work about 20 hours a week. There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm dropping $4000 for some over-hyped supercharger. That's why I wanted to get a used OEM supercharger from eBay for like $300. But I'm gonna ask some professionals to see if that's even possible.
Old 09-22-11, 07:01 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
sadly the post above is right

but then, you can always supercharge your car

TRD supercharger is much easier to play with
Didint Tony Twin Turbocharge his camry before switching over to the big HKS T51? i remember seeing a video of it.
Old 09-22-11, 08:41 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

^he did, and since the s/c was used, it needed a rebuild after about a year with the twincharge setup.
and then the s/c came off and T51 SPL was put on.

he's putting the s/c back but he's too busy making money...has no time

it's a bummer ....my exhaust job got pushed until mid october...
Old 09-24-11, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TS, turbo or s/c is a waste of time and money on the ES platform. If you have the funds, go ahead, but you said you wanted to keep it simple. You want performance? Just keep up the maintenence and your lexus will perform outstanding or next to manufacter spec. Forced induction is no joke, you have to pay to play.
Old 09-25-11, 06:10 AM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

Case in point.... don't do anything to the car. Keep driving it until you have the funds to support modding habits.

There is no inexpensive way into modding.

Trust me, I know. I make barely over minimum wage, and work about 20 hours a week. There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm dropping $4000 for some over-hyped supercharger. That's why I wanted to get a used OEM supercharger from eBay for like $300. But I'm gonna ask some professionals to see if that's even possible.
Old 09-25-11, 08:45 AM
AlphaOnion
Pole Position

I think I'll do that, thanks guys.