ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

96 Es300 Head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 06:46 PM
Beav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Es300 Head gasket

Hey guys, I had a thread going about my overheating problem. I thought it was fixed but turns out it is the head gasket. I have gotten 1 quote for about 1300 w/o head work. I really don't want to put that much into this car at 198k miles so I'm debating tearing into it myself. I havn't ever got this deep into an engine and am looking for some advice on the best way to learn. Is there a manual I should buy that will have step by step instructions? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-15-11, 07:14 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

If you haven't gone that far in an engine before than I don't recommend doing the job yourself....You don't usually buy just a headgasket and start a job like that; there are a whole bunch of other seals and parts that you need and might as well change since you're already that deep into the engine. Most of that requires some sort of experience and knowledge...

Haynes has a manual....

Good luck
Old 09-15-11, 07:18 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had to change the headgasket on my RX300 but it was under extended warranty so i went to Midas but they somehow messed up my transmission due to some electrical problem ..anyways so i went to Lexus instead. Since it was all under warranty everythin was covered. So i recommend for gaskets u should go to Lexus..unless u or your friend is very knowledgeable in that area..
Old 09-15-11, 07:32 PM
Beav
Driver School Candidate

Ok, maybe I'll get the manual and look through it. Wouldn't hurt to have it around provided I keep the car around. I was expecting an estimate closer to 800 for some reason, 1300 is kinda eating at me.
Old 09-15-11, 07:51 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

I would befriend a mechanic, if I were you. loool
Old 09-15-11, 08:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Well it really depends on how much the car means to you. If it's in a bad state, I would part it out, or try to pass it on to someone else. This repair is probably more than half of what the car is worth. Me personally, I would try to repair the head gasket, if that's the only thing wrong with the engine, but the thing is - you could be looking at a warped head, which will require machining or a replacement part.

You probably already know this, but removing the head requires the removal of the majority of engine pieces. You're talking exhaust manifold, intake manifold, timing belt, camshafts, etc... If I was going to go that deep, I would replace every possible seal/belt before putting it back together, but that would only raise the cost of your repair.

If you can't justify spending $1300 on a head gasket replacement, I suggest you find a new car. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 09-15-11, 09:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't recommend "feeling" your way through a job like that, replacing a head gasket on a modern car is about a difficult a job as it gets. I think you'd end up really frustrated.

I would take a serious evaluation of how nice the car really is, at 200k miles, you could be looking at a transmission next. I'd probably sell it as a "mechanics special" and move on, unless it was especially well taken care of and you really liked it.
Old 09-16-11, 03:23 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

200k miles is nothing for a Lexus/Toyota, it's still getting broken in. Get it fixed! Take it to another shop for another estimate.
Old 09-16-11, 11:17 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
200k miles is nothing for a Lexus/Toyota, it's still getting broken in. Get it fixed! Take it to another shop for another estimate.
I hear people say things like this, and as well made and engineered these cars are, that kind of mileage does matter.

I can guarantee you every suspension component needs to be replaced if they haven't been already, from tie rods to control arms to struts/mounts, random bushings, CV joints, etc. Already your looking at well over $2k in work if you're taking it to a shop.

Also, automatic transmissions just wear out over time, and 200k miles is pushing it, even on ones that have been taken care of. That's another $1500 plus repair if your transmission goes South. And you also have to add the cost of the needed head gasket repair.

Lexus are about as good as it gets when it comes to reliability, but even well made cars have issues when you get to that kind of mileage that have to be addressed.
Old 09-18-11, 08:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

200k is not pushing an auto transmission (at least not a asisn made transmission). Look at my signature, these transmission are tough.

Suspension: It depends on where you live, and where you drove. So your statement is wrong. I can guarantee that not every suspension part needs to be replaced at 200k miles.

200k miles is nothing in this day and age. I remember the days when 75k was considered high mileage.
Old 09-18-11, 09:17 AM
BradTank
Racer

200k is not pushing an auto transmission (at least not a asisn made transmission). Look at my signature, these transmission are tough.

Suspension: It depends on where you live, and where you drove. So your statement is wrong. I can guarantee that not every suspension part needs to be replaced at 200k miles.

200k miles is nothing in this day and age. I remember the days when 75k was considered high mileage.
I also have to disagree with you.

Lexus makes great cars but 200k miles means things start wearing out and breaking down. Period. Sort of like why he's replacing a head gasket. Things like that just start happening more often, it doesn't mean there was some sort of defect.

"Asian made" doesn't mean it's invincible, go look up all the problems Acura and Honda has with their transmissions. Automatic transmissions have clutch packs inside that are like brake pads that can slip and wear out over time, in addition to all sorts of problems. Ask a transmission technician how much faith he would put in an automatic that was 16 years old and had over 200k miles.

I can also GUARANTEE you that most suspension parts will need to be replaced if it hasn't already when a car is nearly 16 years old and has 200,000 miles, unless you just want to ignore it and take your chances. Suspension parts wear out over time and miles. My car is newer and has around 130k miles, and the previous owner drove like a grandma, but I still needed to put all sorts of new suspension parts in it over time. That's just considered normal. The rubber breaks downs, the joints start getting loose, the struts wear out, etc.

100k miles is not as big a deal, but 200k miles is a big deal, especially if the major components have yet to be replaced. You can certainly go well over that, but usually it becomes a matter of how much you want to spend to keep a $2,000 car going. Your risk factor goes up dramatically that you're going to have expensive repairs (like this head gasket), especially if you haven't been the owner all 200k of those miles and you don't know how it was maintained.
Old 09-18-11, 09:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't say "Asian" made i said asisn made. It's a manufacture for top notch transmissions. Not what you would find in a honda or acura.

I can agree that after 16 years old you would need suspension parts. But, I said after 200k miles you wouldn't need it. << Age will cause more wear and tear than miles, is what I was saying....

I still believe 200k is not a big deal, not just for Lexus. But, for all Japanese brands. And even for the new Ford's (domestic).

Last edited by hypervish; 09-18-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-18-11, 09:42 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

200k miles isn't exactly a non-factor but I certainly would not reject a clean Lexus because of it. I rebuilt the engine in my 733i at 275,000 miles and could've kicked myself as it easily could've gone another 200k miles. Consider the cost of a timing belt or 60k mile service... not cheap and you are doing that on a relatively new car. Bottom line, good car or bad car.. they are all money pits. Throw yours down a pit that you like...
Old 09-18-11, 11:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

I didn't say "Asian" made i said asisn made. It's a manufacture for top notch transmissions. Not what you would find in a honda or acura.

I can agree that after 16 years old you would need suspension parts. But, I said after 200k miles you wouldn't need it. << Age will cause more wear and tear than miles, is what I was saying....

I still believe 200k is not a big deal, not just for Lexus. But, for all Japanese brands. And even for the new Ford's (domestic).
It's actually spelled "Aisin" if you're talking about the specific manufacturer, and they also make many automatic transmissions for Chrysler so they're hardly all bulletproof.

I think it's foolish to not to be at least cautious about putting money into a car with that kind of mileage, it can quickly turn into a situation where you're putting $5k into a $2k car that's a hooptee, but that's why you have forums so you can express different opinions.
Old 09-18-11, 01:45 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

I agree with Hypervish

I have 195,xxx miles on my Lex with original engine/transmission and I don't think it's a big deal and it even drives smoother and runs better than some new cars!

Although I have to add that EVERY suspension component is new and MOST of my steering system is new too!

Every car will eventually need work done to it at some point.....

Quick Reply: 96 Es300 Head gasket