ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

multiple chips on my Lexus ES300 front windshield - Repair options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 04:51 AM
VHTx2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple chips on my Lexus ES300 front windshield - Repair options?

Hello All,

I have multiple (4 or 5) chips/cracks (each damaged area is smaller than a dollar bill) on my Lexus 2002 ES300 (bought Oct 2001) front windshield. None of them have grown/growing bigger hence I neglected them in the past and may continue to do so.

Having said that, I am just curious what are my repair options? Shall I repair now or wait? Will my insurance (AMICA) reimburse me for multiple chips / cracks?

TC & TIA as always.
Old 09-21-11, 05:48 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A dollar bill is rather large!! The epoxy fix works very well on the small stone chips that don't spider out -- maybe a dime. Any actual crack in the glass is not reparable. The repaired small stone chips will often be almost invisible and the larger ones you may see but the point of the epoxy is to stop them from cracking.

Sounds like you have a bigger problems.

You would have to look at your insurance policy -- every company covers this differently and some states require a level of glass coverage.

Often on an old car the glass is in poor shape from sand and other objects hitting it -- so its better to spend the $200.00 on a new windshield than to try to fix a chip for $70.00. I had my 2000 es glass replaced for under $200.00 last fall
Old 09-25-11, 08:40 PM
es5240
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VHTx2011
Hello All,

I have multiple (4 or 5) chips/cracks (each damaged area is smaller than a dollar bill) on my Lexus 2002 ES300 (bought Oct 2001) front windshield. None of them have grown/growing bigger hence I neglected them in the past and may continue to do so.

Having said that, I am just curious what are my repair options? Shall I repair now or wait? Will my insurance (AMICA) reimburse me for multiple chips / cracks?

TC & TIA as always.
I think the laregest a crack can be is the size of a quarter. And if its in the line of vision they can not repair it because it could cause a glare. At least thats what they told me when i had a chip, and some chips are covered under your insurance. Give you insurance a call and they will send refer you some where.
Old 09-25-11, 10:15 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

$200 for a windshield? Was it OEM?
Old 09-26-11, 02:56 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

No....... the glass did not come from a Lexus dealer but was a quality USA made glass. With a car as common as the ES the glass is very inexpensive -- the aftermarket products are fine. Not that many companies make glass -- often the OE replacements comes form the same plant.

I have not found any benefit to ordering the OE glass -- But I will I often check the price to see the difference.

Key is to get US made glass -- not the Chinese stuff being brought in. This windshield in the ES can be switched out in less than 1/2 hour.
Old 09-27-11, 04:19 PM
VHTx2011
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot folks.

A few more follow-up questions.

1) yeldogt - where did you order your quality USA made glass from and how much did you pay and what about installation charges? Does $200 you quoted include installation as well?

2) how much OE glass will cost? Since my car is 10 years old I am NOT looking to buy OE glass. Just for curiosity.
Old 09-28-11, 08:58 AM
VHTx2011
Driver School Candidate

Update - I called a local company http://www.affordableautoglass.com/ and they told me it will cost $130 - if no rain sensor and $145 - if it has rain sensor. I have no idea how to find out if there is rain sensor on the front windshield or not.

He told me that it will cost me $55 to fix 4 -5 chips but there will be some traces of cracks or chips visible if looked carefully. So, the beter option is to get a NEW AFTER-MARKET glass with lifetime labor & parts warranty.
Old 09-28-11, 01:54 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

In my neck of the woods after a car is a few years old the pitting makes It not worth fixing many windshields once you price out the replacements. Especially when you can replace it for $200.00

I normally call a couple of shops and ask them to tell me the different glass prices -- they will tell you what the Chinese glass will cost vs the US glass vs the OE glass. Some of the national chains have additional options -- but most of it all comes from the same distributers.

The rain sensor is by the mirror -- you will only have it if you have rain sensing wipers -- this was unusual for the ES300 -- my 330's all have it.

$130 -- is very cheap .... I would bet Chinese glass ......... I would ask them about the quality ...it may have improved .......... the few I saw a couple of years ago had some distortion.
Old 09-28-11, 03:32 PM
VHTx2011
Driver School Candidate

"$130 -- is very cheap .... I would bet Chinese glass ......... I would ask them about the quality ...it may have improved .......... the few I saw a couple of years ago had some distortion." - Yes it is Chinese make. However, he told me that all front windshield MUST comply with strict DoT safety guidelines nd my car is 10 years old and hence makes sense to go with cheaper option.

Next I called SafeLite. SafeLite quoted me around $250. They did not tell me what is the make of the glass or who makes the glass when asked repeatedly.. The rep was just harping the same tune "we use only the finest .......and it has lifelong warranty.........".

Finally, I called the nearest Lexus dealer and his quote was - P + L for OEM glass $1600 approx..

Wow .................what a WIDE price range. Any suggestions as to which one to choose.

yeldogt - you mentinoned USA made glass - are you talking about OEM glass or non-OEM glass? Did you contact any national chain for made in USA glass and do you mind telling me which one bcoz when I say Made in USA they are getting confused with OEM. In fact, I am also confused. When you said made in USA glass - are you referring to expensive OEM or just CHEAP (in value as compare to OEM) glass made in USA but much better in quality and hence expensive than made in china cheap glass?

Last edited by VHTx2011; 09-29-11 at 01:00 PM.