ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2005 Lexus ES330 Service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 03:19 PM
SGLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Lexus ES330 Service?

Hey guys I got my dads 2005 Lexus ES330 with 115k. How could I check If the timing belt has been done? The regular maintenance has been done up till 75,000 Miles at lexus dealership then it shows the 90k being done. Do you think there is a good chance its been done already?

Thanks
Sath,

Last edited by SGLexus; 03-25-12 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-25-11, 10:18 PM
dmight
Rookie

Most dealers and other shops put a sticker someplace in the engine bay telling mileage and/or date timing belt was done. Sometimes they don't and sometimes the sticker comes off and gets lost. At 75000/90000, the belt is due to be changed. Other postings here go into detail on what each think should be done at the same time and why. Do a quick search to read these posts.
Some belt manufacturers actually put a manufacture date on their belts, month and year, Remove TB cover and turn engine until brand name and numbers come up. If the date is there, you can figure average yearly mileage on your car and then figure fairly close to when the belt was changed. If you want to trust that is up to you and you only. For peace of mind, when in doubt, just change the darn thing, a lot cheaper than a new engine and all the pain that is. I've seen figures on this board for 800 and beyond for the job, at the dealer. Usually around four hours labor plus parts. Most recommend water pump, tensioner, idler pulleys, etc at the same time because they're all right there and work together. I'm torn on that one, but that's me.
With the miles, it's a flip of the coin if it was done or not. Do you have any way to access the previous records themselves. Lexus.com might be able to help. I registered there, on advice from another member in this board, added the VIN of my 96 ES300 and brought up every visit to the dealer(s) from the time the car was a new car prep to about 6/5000 miles months before I bought it!
Old 09-26-11, 02:52 AM
SGLexus
Rookie

Default Lexus dealer?

Hey thank you so much for the reply. Is there by signs that it could break or if I take it in Friday to dealer is it okay? Woul you reccomend going to Lexus dealer?
Old 09-26-11, 07:25 AM
dmight
Rookie

I'd say, "Dealers know their brands best" and most of the time that's true. They know how to do what job and when, with updates on data and equipment. It's quite possible that a dealer can check records to see if a belt and/or associated work has been done. Independent shops don't have this access or even the network, or don't bother.
Usually, a timing belt will not give any warning when it's finished. I have seen them skip a tooth or just stretch and cause slight changes in timing, but that's very rare. Like I said "usually" they're working fine, then broken. That's why it's always advised to change them at a certain time and age. Warranted, that is usually on the early side of error. I wouldn't lose sleep over it between now and Friday, but for peace of mind and all, I have things checked and corrected if necessary asap.
I'm of the same dilemma with my older ES300, mileage dictates that it's due for the second replacement TB, but the car runs finer than fine. I have a list of all the times it's been to the Lexus dealer from the time it was delivered from the factory to the last visit about 5 months before we bought the car. Unfortunately, I have the list and work order numbers, little or no description of what was done each time is available to me. So, for peace of mind, last Friday, I bought all the parts to do the timing belt and associated parts, and plan on doing the job this week. If I stumble across new information, my plans will change, if not, I'll tear into the job, see what I can see and go from there. I have an advantage of being a retired "wrench", own all my tools and equipment, and luckily am in fairly good health so can and do most of my own work still. That will save me well over $600 on this job.
I hope I've helped you some and not confused you a lot. :>) Looking forward to reading what you found out and ended up doing
Old 10-01-11, 02:12 PM
SGLexus
Rookie

Default Got some quotes

Hey dmight got some quotes today. Lexus dealership here in dublin,ohio wanted about $1050. Toyota dealership said just water pump and timing belt they could do for about $790. What do you think? Anything else need replacing?

Thanks
Old 10-01-11, 07:50 PM
dmight
Rookie

Originally Posted by SGLexus
Hey dmight got some quotes today. Lexus dealership here in dublin,ohio wanted about $1050. Toyota dealership said just water pump and timing belt they could do for about $790. What do you think? Anything else need replacing?

Thanks
Well, there are a couple of things going on here; Lexus is probably a bit higher on labor rates per hour. I imagine they're looking to replace the belt, water pump, pulleys, tensioner. Maybe cam seals, too. Toyota probably quoted the belt and recommend doing the water pump at the same time. Be prepared for them to call and want to ad a tensioner, maybe the pulleys and cam seals. Here's the thing. If you don't do your own wrenching, especially on this sort of thing, it can save you money down the road and give you some peace of mind by going on and doing all this at one time. On the other hand, I can do this myself and I don't like spending money just because it's recommended. I understand preventative maintenance and all that, but I also understand productive marketing.
I think, in the end, it'll run about the same, either place

Do a bit of a search on this board and find out what others think. And take what they say into consideration. Plenty of intelligent people on here.

I base what I think and say on me being able to do 90% of my own work, and I don't have a bottomless pocket book to draw from, so I can, and do, look at all this from a bit different point of view.
Old 10-03-11, 03:59 AM
SGLexus
Rookie

Default Alright will check into

Hey Thanks for the update we are also going take it tithe dealer where we bought it and ask them before we fork over 900 lol I'll keep you posted and I am not a handyman at all lol
Old 10-07-11, 01:02 PM
SGLexus
Rookie

Default Update

Hey I took it in to Local Lexus dealership and they did timing belt alone for $550 and said everything else looks good so I'm pretty happy going to go pick it up tomorrow .plus I got a Lexus RX350 Loaner car which now we are considering getting since we need an suv too.

Thanks for your help dmight
Old 10-08-11, 06:55 AM
dmight
Rookie

Originally Posted by SGLexus
Hey I took it in to Local Lexus dealership and they did timing belt alone for $550 and said everything else looks good so I'm pretty happy going to go pick it up tomorrow .plus I got a Lexus RX350 Loaner car which now we are considering getting since we need an suv too.

Thanks for your help dmight
Well, that was even better than what you were first looking at and quoted! And it sounds like you got an honest tech, too. Probably didn't make one bit of difference in the way your car runs, but makes a big difference in what you're thinking about, right? Not thinking and worrying about timing belts anymore. :>).
I remember years ago, my Dad took his car to the dealer for some warranty stuff and they gave him a loaner car just like his except it had a bigger engine, more options on it. He drove it a few days then went back to the dealer to pick up his car. When he got home that evening he was still driving the loaner, he got back to the dealer, got his car and was about half way home and decided he liked the loaner better, turned around and went back and traded up. I hadn't thought about that in years and you mentioning the RX350 brought it to mind. :>)
My job on my car got cancelled. Finally got to take it apart to see what was what. Got it all exposed and everything looked to have been replaced recently as in looked brand new, even the belt. So I just buttoned it all back up. Returned all the parts for refund, except the new belt. I don't know why I kept that, but I did. LOL! I'll be in Evansville next week and for grins, I'll stop by the dealer there and see if they will give me information on the work order numbers I have on the car.
Glad the deal worked out well for ya, SGLexus. Sounds like you've got a decent vehicle (maybe another coming!) found a good place to get your work done. Saved a little money. Made some friends.
Old 10-10-11, 03:32 AM
SGLexus
Rookie

That's great that your car is looking great! I got mine back and it looks and drives amazing .Still miss the height on the rx350 lol. The old belt looked great kept as suvenior. I guess we will never know if the old owners changed it . But my dad was suprised that I got it done for that price.