ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Shift boot on a auto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 01:09 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^LOL, haters gonna hate.
all the things in my car has a function. even the yellow headlight tint.
trying putting a boot on the auto shifter far from classy, it is simply dumb. It sounds like what a 16 year old kid would do to his car wishing it was manual instead of a slush box.
Old 09-28-11, 01:24 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

shift boot on an auto does not sound good imo. id leave it the way it is.
Old 09-28-11, 02:03 PM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
No more of a waste than yellow headlamps, lowering the car, adding led lights, or 18"+ wheels... our cars weren't designed like those either. I would submit that a well done shift boot for the auto stick would look much better and far classier than any of those other things...
Well said! except for the led lights, i could see them being brighter/better than the normal ones. They are more efficient after all. Are they worth it, thats a different topic altogether however!
Old 09-28-11, 02:44 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Leather transmission boots look good when done right. Unfortunately, it will be very hard to do on the ES.

Old 09-28-11, 02:48 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

^sure thing if the car is designed for a boot
Old 09-28-11, 04:27 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EEngineer
^LOL, haters gonna hate.
trying putting a boot on the auto shifter far from classy, it is simply dumb. It sounds like what a 16 year old kid would do to his car wishing it was manual instead of a slush box.
Nope, not hating at all but you missed my point completely. Let's try it this way... The ES was not designed as nor ever meant to be a high performance, sporty handling vehicle. So when you lower it to the point you can run over a beer can and tell what brand it is, put godawful big rims with rubber band tires on it and give it Porsche racer wannabe yellow tint to the headlamps... it strikes ME as something a 16 year old would do to what was meant to be a moderately performing, soft riding luxury cruiser. That doesn't make any of that less relevent or less appealing to someone who likes those things.

Putting a boot on the shifter sure seems a lot less innocuous than the above.... whether any of it is worthwhile really does depend on the owner. I personally prefer almost stock but I can appreciate the mods even if I would never do them to my own car.
Old 09-29-11, 08:52 AM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Leather transmission boots look good when done right. Unfortunately, it will be very hard to do on the ES.
damn, im loosing my touch it seems! is that a caddy?
Old 09-29-11, 09:10 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, not hating at all but you missed my point completely. Let's try it this way... The ES was not designed as nor ever meant to be a high performance, sporty handling vehicle. So when you lower it to the point you can run over a beer can and tell what brand it is, put godawful big rims with rubber band tires on it and give it Porsche racer wannabe yellow tint to the headlamps... it strikes ME as something a 16 year old would do to what was meant to be a moderately performing, soft riding luxury cruiser. That doesn't make any of that less relevent or less appealing to someone who likes those things.

Putting a boot on the shifter sure seems a lot less innocuous than the above.... whether any of it is worthwhile really does depend on the owner. I personally prefer almost stock but I can appreciate the mods even if I would never do them to my own car.
you mad? it's ok, don't be mad. haters gonna hate.
but be honest to yourself though, your narrow-mindedness is what makes you a hater. If you think that the ES300 is worthless when it comes to performance, then I've got to break it to you. You are WRONG! Maybe you just haven't seen that many cars not meant for performance but were built from inside out and outperform anything along their way.
Everyone mods their cars for their own enjoyment and the purpose is to get a better driving experience out of your car. With the work I've done, I've turned a $500 junker into something crazy fun to drive and I'm gonna continue to do so because I have a job that pays well. At this point I don't really care what you think about my car, and I doubt anyone else does.
Old 09-29-11, 09:35 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ i wish you were closer... i'd help with wrench time on that ES of yours...

You're in JDMr too eh?
Old 09-29-11, 09:37 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you mad? it's ok, don't be mad. haters gonna hate.
but be honest to yourself though, your narrow-mindedness is what makes you a hater. If you think that the ES300 is worthless when it comes to performance, then I've got to break it to you. You are WRONG! Maybe you just haven't seen that many cars not meant for performance but were built from inside out and outperform anything along their way.
Everyone mods their cars for their own enjoyment and the purpose is to get a better driving experience out of your car. With the work I've done, I've turned a $500 junker into something crazy fun to drive and I'm gonna continue to do so because I have a job that pays well. At this point I don't really care what you think about my car, and I doubt anyone else does.
You must care as you persist in this thread. Once again, I do not hate. Don't know you, don't know your car. Not sure where you get that I'm narrow minded as I'm not the one "hating" on someone for wanting to put a shift boot on their car. You lower a chevette and put low profile tires and larger wheels on it and it will perform much better.. would you then contend that Chevrolet designed it with performance in mind? Your narrow mindedness is showing full force. Many people mod their car strictly for asthetics alone unless you are going to inform me as to how neon lights under the car and under the dash enhance the vehicles performance.

BTW, stick to what I say and not your interpretation of it. I never stated that the ES is worthless when it comes to performance. I'm glad you like your car, I'm sorry that you feel you have to attempt to jam it down my throat for no apparent reason. Just for the record, I have likely worked on and forgotten more cars than you have ever touched... what does that have to do with anything?

To use your own words "Everyone mods their cars for their own enjoyment" so if someone wants to put a shift boot on their car why does that deserve your ridicule but doing the boy racer yellow headlamps is beyond reproach? You can call me a hater if you wish... but don't be such a hypocrite.

BTW, you can reply to this if you wish but I'm done with this thread.

Last edited by mdbrown; 09-29-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-29-11, 10:29 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by polatok
damn, im loosing my touch it seems! is that a caddy?
It's from an Infiniti.
Old 09-29-11, 12:27 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^ i wish you were closer... i'd help with wrench time on that ES of yours...

You're in JDMr too eh?
haha, that would be nice.
yea i'm on jdmr, but i rarely post just because i'm not super knowledgeable about Hondas.
I know the basics, but those guys on jdmr are hardcore honda fans.
Old 09-29-11, 12:34 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

You must care as you persist in this thread. Once again, I do not hate. Don't know you, don't know your car. Not sure where you get that I'm narrow minded as I'm not the one "hating" on someone for wanting to put a shift boot on their car. You lower a chevette and put low profile tires and larger wheels on it and it will perform much better.. would you then contend that Chevrolet designed it with performance in mind? Your narrow mindedness is showing full force. Many people mod their car strictly for asthetics alone unless you are going to inform me as to how neon lights under the car and under the dash enhance the vehicles performance.

BTW, stick to what I say and not your interpretation of it. I never stated that the ES is worthless when it comes to performance. I'm glad you like your car, I'm sorry that you feel you have to attempt to jam it down my throat for no apparent reason. Just for the record, I have likely worked on and forgotten more cars than you have ever touched... what does that have to do with anything?

To use your own words "Everyone mods their cars for their own enjoyment" so if someone wants to put a shift boot on their car why does that deserve your ridicule but doing the boy racer yellow headlamps is beyond reproach? You can call me a hater if you wish... but don't be such a hypocrite.

BTW, you can reply to this if you wish but I'm done with this thread.
so angry LOL
yea, don't waste time here. go job hunt buddy!
Old 09-29-11, 04:14 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

..............ANYWAY........i like the idea of a quality leather boot shifter on an ES. my mother has a leather boot on an auto trailblazer chevy. dont see the problem.
Old 09-30-11, 11:39 AM
polatok
Driver School Candidate

^LOL, haters gonna hate.
Im genuinely curious, what function does the yellow headlights provide?

You seem awefully self-confident(read: conceited). Its one thing to differ on opinions on how to mod your car, but it seems extremely low to attack somebody else on the basis you have a "good" job and have more funds to do so, thus be automatically better at it. Whats next, you are going to want to compare account balances and net worth too?! Thats a dangerous game to play buddy. This is a car forum, I think we should all be sensible and stick to the topic at hand, es300!! One might not like your 18 inch bling-blings and yellow headlights, but if that makes you think they are haters rather then them having (arguably)better taste than you, then you have another thing coming.

Quick Reply: Shift boot on a auto?