ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Challenging Semi-funcational Key Fob problem for 1997 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11 | 08:25 PM
Minnesota9
Driver School Candidate

Red face Challenging Semi-funcational Key Fob problem for 1997 ES300

So I really have scoured the boards looking for this exact issue but I cannot find anything. In part, because the search terms are a bit hard to be concise with. So, if this has been answered, my apologies, I have looked for about an hour a night for a week and cant come up with much of anything.

So, here is the issue. I bought a es300 for my daughter recently so she can haul my grandkids around safely. One of the features that was so important was the keyless entry so she didnt have to put everything down to get the keys out. Well, the only button that works is the LOCK button, it locks the car without a hitch. However, the UNLOCK, TRUNK, nor PANIC button work at all no matter how many times I try. The dealer is simply saying I probably dropped it, even though its obvious now that we think back, it never did work.

I took the fob apart and tried cleaning the connections but that did not help the situation. Could it be the battery? Seems odd that a battery would have the juice to perform one thing but not the other 3 on the remote.

So my questions are: I have tried doing the reprograming even though I didnt think that would do much to help considering it is already kind of programmed to lock the doors.

Should I order a new fob for $50 off ebay and try to program it, assuming that it will work?

Or should I assume that the problem is in my car, not the fob and simply bring it in?

Has anyone had this issue before?

Its become a bit of a saftey issue for my family so I am in a hurry to try to remedy the situation.

ANY input would be appriciated and your kindness will not go unrewarded. Thank you all for making this such an awesome forum.

Charles
Old 10-06-11 | 09:01 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Go to the dealer, parts department. They have a receiver that can tell you if the signal is good or not from the key fob. If the signal is good and strong the problem is with the vehicle. If it's not getting a signal from the non-working buttons then the remote is bad. They might charge you for this but we never did, we saw it as an opportunity to sell a key.
Old 10-06-11 | 09:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Try replacing the battery.
Old 10-06-11 | 09:49 PM
Minnesota9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Go to the dealer, parts department. They have a receiver that can tell you if the signal is good or not from the key fob. If the signal is good and strong the problem is with the vehicle. If it's not getting a signal from the non-working buttons then the remote is bad. They might charge you for this but we never did, we saw it as an opportunity to sell a key.
Thats terrific, I will try that. The only problem is I am 200 miles from a dealer so I was hoping I could do it all via mail. Any chance I can test the fob myself?

Thanks Again
Old 10-06-11 | 10:26 PM
Minnesota9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Try replacing the battery.
Could a battery consistantly power one of the four functions but none of the other three? It seems like it would control them all equally as poor as it ran out of juice, but I will try it anyway. THANKS!
Old 10-07-11 | 06:27 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Wow, 200 miles away. How about a Toyota dealer? Don't know if there's would be compatible but it's worth a try. Battery should only be $2 or less, certainly a cheap thing to confirm although I tend to think that's not it. No way that I know of to confirm operation, the tool they have is tuned to the frequency of the Lexus remotes and reads signal strength. If you have a non remote key to use in the interim you might see if the dealer would be willing to do this via mail.