ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Please Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 03:27 PM
vanhouang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Please Help!

I dont know much about cars so bear with me. I have a 94 lexus es 300 and ever since I bought the car about 8 months ago ive been hearing a rumbling sound in the rear. It doesnt matter what speed im going its always there and it gets really loud when I go over big bumps. I thought it could be the bearing cause I did the "play" test and the wheel has quite alot of play.
So I took the wheel off and started moving the hub around and it seems like it's loose where the bushings are. If where the rubber part is the bushing. I talked to the guys as advance auto and they think it's either, bushing's, trailer arm, bearing or torsion arm. I really dont wana be throwing all this money at it when im not for sure.

Any help would be great. Ive been trying to diagnose this problem for awhile with no luck.
Old 10-16-11, 05:12 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you don't know much about cars why would you attempt to diagnose it yourself and, from what it sounds like, fix it yourself? If you want to learn get with someone with some experience. If it's bushings or balljoints it's not something you should attempt if you don't have any experience. The rubber part is the bushing but it depends on what rubber part you are referring to. Get an experienced eye to check it out....
Old 10-16-11, 07:00 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The first thing to "learn" is that things don't get better!

Take the car to someone who can tell you what is wrong -- and get it fixed. Ignoring problems like this can be dangerous as the bearing can fail and you can loose a wheel.

The most expensive way to fix a car is to throw parts at it -- the second ............ not fixing things when they first pop up -------- simple cheap fixes eventually turn into expensive fixes
Old 10-16-11, 08:25 PM
vanhouang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that was alot of help.

I guess I should of said I didnt diagnose the problem myself. My dad was the one who said it was probably the bushing and he's been tinkering withcars his whole life. and then I went to advance and they said it might be that and like three other thngs.

Im not getting any good advice about how to go about this. I dont want to throw money at it but it seems like I got no choice. I have a feeing if I take it to a shop there gon over charge me and prolly not even fix it.
Old 10-16-11, 09:09 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not trying to be negative but you do not have the knowledge to be able to explain what is going on and what you see in terms that would allow one to help you. That should be a red flag to you that you really need someone more experienced to look at the car and determine the source of your concern. Otherwise you are asking us to guess based on an extremely vague description.
Old 10-17-11, 12:25 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The common noise in the rear of many Toyota products is a $15 fix and about 1/2 hour in time-- but it will not cause the wheel to move.

The hub should not move -- from your description I do not know if the the whole hub is moving (not good) or just the spindle (dangerous). A few different things could be happening.

A bad bearing will eventually destroy the rest of the hub --- then you are looking at a bigger fix.

Not trying to be harsh in my tone. Ask a few people for shop recommendations and pick one -- This is not difficult stuff. If the wheel has actual play this will also affect your tires.
Old 10-18-11, 12:56 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Hub, If it is loose, the bearing may be shot. I picked up a known good used one swapped it out for $50, dealer wanted $250. Just make sure your properly torque it down.