ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car-puter: DVD, CD, MP3, the works

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02 | 01:15 AM
amrit50
Driver

Default Car-puter: DVD, CD, MP3, the works

Hey guys, check out my newest project. This is my old 500 MHz computer. It's my my mp3, cd, dvd player. I have replaced the factory radio w/ it. I have 1000's of mp3's on shuffle. Let me have your comments.

Last edited by amrit50; 10-04-02 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-04-02 | 01:36 AM
zexen
Advanced

that is cool. though the size of the computer in the back isn't all that good. me and a few friends found a mini-computer. it's for a 800mhz cpu and it's smaller than the new superslim laptop's these days. it'd be a lot nicer if there was a laptop used for this. and just upgrade the hd.
Old 10-04-02 | 01:58 AM
amrit50
Driver

ya, it's just that I had the computer already. If I were to buy that laptop, it would add like $500-600 to the project. If you send me some pics of your car, I'll make you a sig pic.
Old 10-04-02 | 03:19 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

where's your mouse and keyboard? if you have one... I like the screen. I would like to have a touch screen like that in mine, but just one that came with an indash dvd/cdplayer/mp3 player/satelite radio/am fm radio...

i like it, i couldn't afford it, but it's cool. i would try and kit some kind of cover for the things in the trunk, ya know?

one thing i have a problem is that it's not factory installed... which means that here in NC, if you have a screen in front of your driver's seat headrest, and it isn't factory installed... it is illegal for you to have it on while you are driving. so if i got pulled again, for having my screen on, and i had no cover or way to hide it, i would be screwed...

all you need now is wireless internet and satelite... oh is that thing next to your handbrake... your touch pad mouse?

Last edited by EGainer; 10-04-02 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-04-02 | 12:18 PM
amrit50
Driver

Ya, it's a touchpad mouse. I thought the law said that as long is it wansn't interactive that it was ok. I have wireless internet thru my cell phone and TV thru the tv card. I am waiting on the antenna.
Old 10-04-02 | 12:42 PM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

That's pertty sharp - with the hard drive mounted in the trunk - there is endless path of enhancements that you can have down the line.

Looks good!
Old 10-04-02 | 01:39 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

no, the police has a general statute that says.... g.s. - (whatever the number is) a monitor or television screen installed in front of the driver's seat headrest playing while the vehicle is in motion. I think some cops will let you get away with it if you have it on bluescreen or something, or if you can turn off the screen.... just don't get pulled with it. because i know you don't want to have to take that back out...
Old 10-04-02 | 03:38 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps you could fashion a trap door (nice little wood panel like the SC430 except snapped on by hand instead of motorized), or a blackout switch to the display, that could quickly conceal it in the event of an unscheduled "inspection" by the authorities.
The wooden panel could also be snapped on when parked, to disguise the system from would be thieves.
Old 10-04-02 | 05:01 PM
amrit50
Driver

I am in the process of re-mounting the screen so it is flush. I can turn it off w/ the remote. I wonder if that is good enough.
Old 10-04-02 | 05:03 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

damn man!!! that is nice....I always dreamed of doing that too! Are you an engineer or something??? how'd u do that?

My dad has a setup like that in his m5 with a Palm wired to his nav system....but yours is PhAT-er with the DVD n ish.

Last edited by XenonES3; 10-04-02 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-04-02 | 06:57 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

the screen being able to be turned off should be fine. see, mine is in my visor, so if a cop sees it at night, its too late, i cant just turn it off. he could pull you over and not even see the screen yet...

how big is the screen you have in there?
Old 10-05-02 | 05:07 AM
amrit50
Driver

it's a 6.8" I didn't think a 7" would fit.
Old 10-05-02 | 07:15 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Hey, that's awesome. Nice job!

What kind of screen are you using?

And how do standard desktop Hard Drives and CD-ROMs handle the shock from driving over bumps?
Old 10-05-02 | 12:33 PM
amrit50
Driver

It's a 6.8 moble audio. I've never heard of them. The resolution is kinda low. If i am turing around w/ the wheel all the way turned and going kinda fast, the hard drive doesn't like it. Otherwise, I haven't had a problem. The dvd rom sits in that case, and doesn't seem to be a problem either. Some guy told me that a standard hard drive could take about 2g's before there's a problem. It's also jammed in there in the trunk, so that might help too. It's still a quirky system. I will have it running better soon. I am still trying to make it wake up w/ the remote start.

Does anyone know if there is a product that saves enough power in your battery to start your car even if you leave an accessory on?
Old 10-05-02 | 04:52 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Try a capacitor.... they store large amounts of energy to be used, usually to fuel your subs when they hit hard, but i think if you put one between the battery and your starter, it might work.... I would get someone else's input on this first though, because i am just thinking here, i dont know if it would work and not hurt the car...

Quick Reply: Car-puter: DVD, CD, MP3, the works