ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Nitrogen gas filled...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 10:49 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nitrogen gas filled...

has any one has nitrogen gas filled up in their cars instead of regular oxygen gas??? i have reading that its better?? any ideas??i have been thinking of changing it..
Also what happens if it blows out by nail..can i fill it up again with O2 air?
Old 10-21-11, 12:02 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Approx 70% of what you breath is nitrogen. When they filter nitrogen from the air to put in your tires it is better because it filters out any moisture or other contaminants. Nitrogen in and of itself is a slightly larger molecule and is a very stable gas. It will not leak out nearly as fast as air and it does not react to temperature nearly as much as oxygen. Is it better? Yes it is. Is it a major night-day difference? No it's not. All things being equal I'd prefer it but I wouldn't lose sleep if I chose not to as well and certainly wouldn't pay very much. If you get a flat or a low tire you can fill it with regular air.. as stated above air is approx. 70% nitrogen.
Old 10-21-11, 12:33 PM
imherenow
Racer

ya i think i will prolly switch it later on..since i check my tire pressure once a week. (on Saturdays )
Old 10-21-11, 04:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I used to have it in my tires on my Lexus, I noticed absolutely no difference, none. So in theory it is better, in practice I can't notice it, and how am I supposed to maintain my tire pressure with nitrogen? How many people have a nitrogen tank?

If you can have the tires filled and maintained with nitrogen for free, then go for it, otherwise don't bother.
Old 10-21-11, 04:54 PM
imherenow
Racer

i think i agree with ya and that was my concern too..for ppl like me who check my pressure everyweek and carry a compressor dont need nitrogen...but for ppl who dont value/care the importance of proper tire monitoring should go for nitrogen
Old 10-21-11, 05:26 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my engineer friend said a funny thing to me,

How do they install the tire, wet or dry?Huh? he explained: Unfortunately the idea behind nitrogen in tires was to eliminate the possibilities of water developing in the tires but the installation process negates the potential benefits.
Old 10-21-11, 05:28 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Below is an extract on the subject from a recent Consumer Reports Magazine.

"Pass on the nitrogen. Many car dealers and tire retailers will tell you adding nitrogen to your tires in place of plain-old air will help maintain the proper pressure longer. That may be true but whether you use nitrogen or air, check your tire pressure routinely. Our tests showed that tires will lose pressure whether filled with nitrogen or air. If nitrogen filling is free, there is no harm in using it, but why pay for it? Bottom line: there is no substitute for doing proper pressure checks."
Old 10-21-11, 05:34 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
Below is an extract on the subject from a recent Consumer Reports Magazine.

"Pass on the nitrogen. Many car dealers and tire retailers will tell you adding nitrogen to your tires in place of plain-old air will help maintain the proper pressure longer. That may be true but whether you use nitrogen or air, check your tire pressure routinely. Our tests showed that tires will lose pressure whether filled with nitrogen or air. If nitrogen filling is free, there is no harm in using it, but why pay for it? Bottom line: there is no substitute for doing proper pressure checks."
+1 every 250-300 miles on my 911.
Old 10-21-11, 05:35 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use nitrogen on my race tires since it is important to maintain a precise tire pressure for best performance. As the track and ambient temperatures rise, the nitrogen filled tire pressures are more stable.

As for daily driving, if you either have TPMS or you check your tires regularly, then there's not much of a benefit.

Old 10-21-11, 06:21 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would make sense for wheels that have dual valve stems so that you can pump in nitrogen as well as suck out any air that is not purely nitrogen.
Old 10-21-11, 10:59 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny I think this is one subject everyone agrees on. Well done!
Old 10-22-11, 12:45 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
This would make sense for wheels that have dual valve stems so that you can pump in nitrogen as well as suck out any air that is not purely nitrogen.

I haven't been aware of any wheel with 2 valve stems??

Unless you have the ability to suck all the air out and create a vacuum, there will always be some mix of oxygen and nitrogen, even with 2 valve stems. As long as there is 0 lbs of pressure before the tire is inflated, then fill the tire up with nitrogen to say 50lbs then the oxygen ratio will be very low. Then you can deflate the tire to the desired pressure, say 32 lbs and that should be sufficient.
Old 10-22-11, 11:49 AM
mrbobbyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nirto fill

Hello; I've had Nitro Fill in My 20's on ES for almost two years and I get them checked every 3 months or so, and lose only 2 pounds each tire. What I like is lifetime fill I just go in they check the tires and fill them.Also better ride with these tires,
People ride in my car say your car rides so smooth .Anyway that's my opinion.Also helps gas mileage,I average 19-21 MPG depends where I go. Thanks,Bobby

Last edited by mrbobbyd; 10-22-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-22-11, 12:03 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by mrbobbyd
Hello; I've had Nitro Fill in My 20's on ES for almost two years and I get them checked every 3monthes or so, and lose only 2 pounds each tire. What I like is lifetime fill I just go in they check the tires and fill them.Also better ride with these tires,
People ride in my car say your car rides so smooth .Anyway that's my opinion.Also helps gas mileage,I average 19-21 MPG depends where I go. Thanks,Bobby
hmm u get 19-21..ya i get 21 too..sometimes 19ish during winter seasons..is it bcoz u have 20s tha t u get 19-21mpg?
Old 10-22-11, 01:57 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

If you get 19-21 you must be driving it hard or you live in a city. I'm averaging 25-26 with mostly highway driving.

Nitrogen is a marketing scheme, unless you go to the race track.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen gas filled...