ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suspension Help/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11 | 08:57 AM
xelphor
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension Help/Opinions

Hey guys, new owner of an older (2000) Es300. Has a few issues, main one I am looking at tackling currently is the suspension, needs new mounts but I figure if I'm going to do that much work to replace a mount may as well replace the strut assembly, car has 117k on it. Soooo, have been reading around on the net, a little bit here as well, going to do some more. But basically I am wondering who here has replaced their suspensions on their 300's and what product(s) they recommend getting or not getting.

Both Gabriel and Monroe have some rebates right now on their "quick struts" until the end of the month which is pretty sweet. Unfortunately due to the explosion of the internet everywhere you read someone says Monroe sucks, or Gabriel sucks, or KYB sucks, or Monroe is good, or whatever, you get the point. Just want to get it from people who have done this on their vehicles. As much information, installation tips etc is appreciated. I like the idea of the quick strut because, well, it's quick, no compression or horsing around. The last suspension I worked on I put some Koni Reds with Ground Control adjustable coil overs in my Z24 back in the day, so have a little experience doing the job on a different vehicle.

Basically looking to get the car back to a OE/stock original feel that will last. I don't want to have to rip the suspension apart again in 6 months etc. We'll probably ride the vehicle until it dies. Have other issues I need to bounce of your heads as well but this is goal #1. Thank you, appreciate the help.
-John
Old 10-23-11 | 09:54 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

I just bought a full set of monroe quick struts.

600$ shipped within the US... vs. 1100$ locally in canada for me... Plus the rebate is nice, but expiring soon!

If you want to get a real sense of quiet, get something like this too

COnsidering i spent 160$ on TWO rear end links... made me regret not buying the above and throwing out the ball joints. Also the sway bar bushings could be up fro a change and at less than 20$ might as well IMO.

One thing i haven't touched on my 130k 2001, is the trailing arm bushings as theyre still good, and the ball joints [which is a control arm entirely], or the front sway bar links. Other than that i swapped everything to new stuff in the last month and a bit [installing the struts this week!]

Hopefully she drives like new again!
Old 10-23-11 | 12:43 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

How to;
http://michalscheck.com/lexus/struts/struts.html
http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/sa.pdf
Old 10-23-11 | 02:52 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

It was my understanding that the quick struts were not made for the ES -- They list it for a Toyota ........ but the Lexus has a different spring.

Did you notice any difference with the different spring rate ? Ride height?
Old 10-23-11 | 03:21 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Apparently they do make them since i ordered them and they came up for a 2001 Lexus ES300, and had confirmation from Rockauto as such. If not I will find out this week...
Old 10-23-11 | 08:15 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

H&Rs and Tokicos

camry ones will work
Old 10-24-11 | 03:35 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EEngineer
H&Rs and Tokicos

camry ones will work

Are these quick struts or just standard struts? How do either of these compare to stock or to KYB??
Old 10-24-11 | 03:48 PM
xelphor
Driver School Candidate

Cool will be interested to hear how it goes. I read a forum from '07 online at lunch break today and it sounded like a nightmare, the guy ended up installing like 8 quick struts due to constantly getting defects.

Is there any place to purchase the OEM Lexus struts/parts? I think I found one last week but the websites or so horrible to navigate and tell what you are getting I wasn't comfortable using it.
Old 10-24-11 | 05:03 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ the dealer... the fact that they wanted to charge me 170$ for ONE rear endlink... yeah the stealership isn't getting my money.

I just installed them now, out with the old;
Old 10-25-11 | 01:11 PM
xelphor
Driver School Candidate

Nice, you'll have to let me know how they work the next few days. Also where did you order yours from? Need to order by Monday if I choose to go with these to get the rebate. Curious how the mounts are.
Old 10-25-11 | 01:50 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^ Much better... already love the ride again. Need to swap the bushings & end links in the front. Along with my AC compressor.

But again, thats all coming from Rock Auto. Local was 800$ for a compressor. **** that. toyota was charging only 445$ and thats dealer price.
Old 10-26-11 | 09:47 AM
AShepherd
Former Sponsor

AutoShepherd.com just started carrying KYB
and through the exclusive Club Lexus coupon code: LEXUS10, you can get 10% off all orders

plus free shipping for orders over $50

typically We've got the lowest pricing on the net, paired up with the best service
9.82 rating from reseller ratings
Old 11-04-11 | 02:40 PM
xelphor
Driver School Candidate

Alright 01LEXPL, here's what I got for install tomorrow.

- 4 Monroe quick struts
- that linkage pack off eBay you recommended
- front and rear swaybar bushings
- new windsheild washer pump

So question for you. I'm borrowing my coworkers impact wrench. What sockets do I need or do you recommend? Is it all metric or? Should I just buy regulars or deeps? Also the linkage kit I'm not exactly sure on your ideas for use for this and I didn't get or look at a Haynes manual at all yet. Are these linkages existing and being replaced or are they new altogether and going on? Think that's it. Appreciate any heads up or tips you can give before I dive in tomorrow. Just have to buy impact sockets. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-11 | 05:01 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Oh man, it was a bunch.

A few 21mm, a few 14mm, and the odd ones to take off odd stuff here and there.

Plus a wrench is good for removing the bottom of the strut from the hub assy.,

GL!
Old 11-04-11 | 05:10 PM
xelphor
Driver School Candidate

Sweet so you're telling me basically metric? Sounds good! Thx again.

Quick Reply: Suspension Help/Opinions