ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Questions on ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 09:52 PM
92SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on ES300

hey
my brohter has a 98 es300 and plans on modding it... what are some good places or websites to find parts?..

and what are some good name intakes and exhausts?

thanx for your help
Old 10-06-02, 12:29 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

He can get some TRD parts from the '97-'01 Camry/'99-'03 Solara platform that will work on his '98 ES300: S/C, rear sway bar, suspension, strut brace, and muffler. For intake, there is RMM (www.rodmillen.com), Injen (www.injen.com), and RS Akimoto. These are all open air filter intakes, not cold air intakes. For exhaust, there is the Greddy EVO and Apexi World Sport full catback systems. Aside from TRD, there are also struts from Tokico and KYB, and springs from H&R and Eibach.

Luc
Old 10-06-02, 01:27 AM
92SC300
Driver School Candidate

thank you Luc.... are there any websites on where i can find these products?

thanks
Old 10-06-02, 03:57 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

No problem.

RMM: www.rodmillen.com only
For Injen, RS Akimoto, Greddy and Apexi, you can probably search for various online dealers such as Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) or ads in magazine that claim to sell those brands.

For TRD parts, there are a few online TRD dealers:
www.toyotaparts4u.com
www.partznet.com
www.etoyotas.com
www.toyota-parts.com

It doesn't hurt to get quotes and decide which one offers the best price. Just make sure to ask whether the equipment is in stock or not, otherwise, how long it will take. If the item is on backorder (Greddy), get the salesperson's name so next time you talk to him/her, you will get the updated information.

Luc
Old 10-06-02, 04:47 PM
92SC300
Driver School Candidate

ok Luc i dont want to be a pain but i got 2 more questions....
lol

intake and exhuast wont void the warranty rite even tho some products are not carb certified.? and if my bro gets them will he make da next inspection wit his mods?

and will all the camry parts fit his 98 es300?

thanx 4 being patient with me Luc.
Old 10-06-02, 07:38 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

No bother. I would've thought that the warranty has expired already on a '98, unless he has an extended warranty. From my understanding, unless the dealer can prove that the intake and/or exhaust caused the problem(s), those modifications will not void the warranty. As far as CARB legality goes, I think the ES will be able to pass emission since neither the header, y-pipe, nor catalytic converter are being replaced. Of course, if there is a CARB sticker, always carry it in the car in case the state needs proof; check with the manufacturers.

I just put the TRD/Bilstein struts and springs on my friend's '98 ES300 and I did compare it to my '98 Camry, and everything is the same (except for aesthetics, electronics, and comfort), right down to the engine. I even told him to get the S/C so we can "compete" with my S/C'd Camry.

Luc
Old 10-06-02, 10:42 PM
92SC300
Driver School Candidate

post some pics of the S/C camry , dam thing must be so sweet... well thanks alot Luc!
Old 10-07-02, 12:49 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

Well, my Camry isn't much to see on the outside, it's still stock looking and could never be told that it had any performance mods. I have yet to put the TRD body kit on. But here is the engine bay.

Luc
Old 10-07-02, 06:59 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*drool*...
what a sleeper.
i wouldn't mind gettin on of those on MY Lex.
hey Luc, how much did you pay for the S/C?
Old 10-07-02, 07:06 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I've read here, the Camry supercharger is not compatible with the ES. Or at least TRD says not to use it, I'm thinking it might be the compression, but it may be possible with some modification. I wouldn't attempt it without detailed consultation with someone very knowledgeable in this stuff. If he really wants to SC the ES and money isn't a problem, maybe he could swap the Camry engine and SC it, shouldn't be any problems I can think of doing that swap.
Old 10-07-02, 07:38 PM
zexen
Advanced

lol well i wasn't serious. i just wanted to know how much he paid for the S/C. the ES isn't even permanently mine. i'm still looking for one of the following
- Nissan 240SX
- Mistu 3000GT VR-4
- IS300
- Nissan Maxima

something RWD preferably. so i've had my eye on the IS300 for a while.

oh yeah one more question to add on here. does anyone know the HP at the wheels of a stock 92-96 ES3? i'm trying to compare it to my friend's Acura CL-S and show him his CL-S really isn't THAT fast. it says 260hp at the crank, but a dyno showed barely 200 at the wheels. does anyone have the WHP for the older gen ES300?
Old 10-07-02, 10:16 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

Yes, that's what TRD will say the S/C is NOT compatible only because they NEVER tried it. It will work on the '97 and '98 ES300 ONLY since it's the same engine found in the Camry and Solara V6. Since '99, the engine has changed to VVTi and dual throttle bodies, thus making the S/C plenum incompatible. The engine compression is the same. TRD will never try to install in an ES probably because the majority of owners won't do any performance modifications since it is geared towards comfort. They don't know if the connections on the ECU is the same or not.

TRD USA didn't know if the their own struts and springs will work on my friend's '98 ES300 when I called, and guess what, they fit PERFECTLY. Yes, it is a big gamble for any ES owner to venture out on their own since it's not advertised for Lexus. Of course, if the ES has the adjustable suspension, then having the upgraded suspension would be useless.

This is not a flame on ES owners, it's a flame on TRD USA for their lack of knowledge. BTW Zeta, I paid about $2200 shipped for the S/C back in May 2001 during a group buy from 21 Camry/Solara owners. It took me and my friend about 10 hours to install it, since we took our time and made sure everything was done right. Now, the S/C kit would probably be around $2500 WITH a dynamic tensioner (a feature not available then) to keep the belt at proper tension. The last thing that I need to check is the ECU on my friend's ES, to make sure that the EBC (electronic boost controller) can be tapped in.

Luc

Last edited by Luc; 10-07-02 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 12:18 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default differences between MCV10 and MCV20

What changes were made to the 1MZ-FE engine between the MCV10 (94-96) and non-VVTi MCV20 (97-98)?
I know the 97 had a HP boost, a different engine cover (possibly a different intake plenum) I'm just curious, the engine in the S/C Camry picture looks closer to the model found in my '96, than in the '97ES.
Wasn't there a HP gap (MCV20) between the ES and the Camry, with the ES at 210 and the Camry around 190? Different ECUs? I'm not intricately familiar with the 1MZ-FE engine.

Correct me if I'm using the chassis codes wrong, I think MCV10 is Camry/ES 92-96, MCV20 is Camry/ES 97-01, Solara 99-03? Is the Avalon, with the stretched wheelbase, a different code?

Last edited by squarehat; 10-08-02 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-08-02, 12:18 AM
zexen
Advanced

that's not that bad of a price. sure is cheaper than a turbo... without the turbo lag too. well i don't have the money to actually do this. but i was also wondering. hey luc, how much hp does it add to the wheels from stock?
Old 10-08-02, 12:54 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

For the '94-'96 1MZ-FE, yes, the S/C will fit, HOWEVER, there will be problems. There was one brave soul who retrofitted onto his '95 Camry, but he had problems: S/C's EGR pipe does NOT fit (emission potential problems), low rpm idling, car dies when A/C is on, and probably a few more, but those are the ones I remember.

The chassis codes you posted are correct. In addition, someone has installed one on his '98 Avalon with no problems at all. So the same situation exists for the '97-'98 Avalon compared to the '97-'98 ES300; and '99 Avalon started having VVTi, whereas '95-'96 Avalon will exhibit the same symptoms as the '94-'96 Camry.

I personally don't look at the rated HP numbers too seriously, since it is more of a selling point. AFAIK, the OEM muffler plays a part also, since it is claimed that the non-Camry ones have a valve that opens up to allow better flow at higher rpm, so you'll see some same year vehicles with 200-HP ratings. With VVTi and most likely some ECU adjustments, 210-HP ratings came about.

With just the S/C, you will get about 25-30 HP to the wheels on an automatic, which isn't a lot. With upgrades such as a smaller S/C pulley (more boost, stock is 4psi), freer-flowing y-pipe and catback, and S-AFC, owners with 5-speed manuals have shown up to achieve about 270 at the WHEELS. Unfortunately, I am limited by the automatic transmission (and budget), and doing a M/T swap doesn't seem too feasible on a soon-to-be 5-yr old car. But having the S/C has definitely given the mid-range a good boost when passing power is needed.

Luc

Last edited by Luc; 10-08-02 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions on ES300