ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Painting 'lower' body panels--appreciate some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 07:13 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Painting 'lower' body panels--appreciate some help

My car got scrapped pretty badly on the right front corner and passenger side door by a drunk girl at a Homecoming afterparty last night -i'll post pics soon

anyway, i need to repaint it but the scrapes 'go into the plastic' so i'm afraid repainting won't cut it because it will leave grooves in the plastic.

here's the help i would appreciate------> since i am repainting the bumper/moldings, i also want to paint the black plastic underneath the plastic body cladding (it goes about ".25-2" down depending on different areas of the car). Since my car has a light color I think it would look cool and give it 'as close to a body-kit' look as possible It's not much area, but anything would help...

i'm no expert here, so i'm wondering if anyone knows the procedure to paint this....thanks
Old 10-07-02, 02:01 AM
themasta3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless this "drunk" girl is one of your good friends, you're screwin' her, or you're gonna be screwin' her soon, i'd file a claim w/ her insurance company and let the body shop worry about the repainting, plus you'll get a brand new lower panel. i don't mean to sound like an ******* or anything if this girl is in fact your friend, but if my friend scraped my ES, even if she was a girl, i wouldn't be havin' that. you shouldn't have to worry about any of the responsibility, that should be her problem, but that's just my 2 cents.

Curtis
Old 10-07-02, 02:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, get insurance to take care of the panels if you weren't gonna already, maybe you can get it painted one-tone for some extra while the insurance is paying part of the bill.

I don't think the underbody pieces would look good painted, they're not really "pretty" and IMO aren't meant to be noticed.
Old 10-07-02, 05:03 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are totally right about working through the insurance, but problem is I DIDN'T see the accident. I was told by a couple people who witnessed it that some girl who was definately under the influence clipped my car. And, since I didn't see it, and other people couldn't give me a description of the girl or anymore info on her vehicle besides the fact it "was an SUV".....there isn't much I can do besides classifying it as a hit and run, I looked at the scrapes again and it doesn't seem as bad as I thought.

As far as painting the underbody plastic, I dunno, it seems to follow the curves of the car well....maybe photoshop can help
Old 10-08-02, 06:59 PM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

Sad to hear such crap - but a girl in a honda civic clipped my car last year - I checked with 2 auto body shops (1 is certified for painting only Lexus vehicles) and they told me that it would cost nearly the same to replace the moldings rather than paint them. Since both auto-bodies quoted me "almost" the same figure and showed me the price for my left-rear molding ($188). I decided to replace it.
The scratches on the paint is something totally different - I had to get that part repainted. Lexus provides a high powered gloss in the paint so if it is un-noticeable - don't rush to empty your pockets.
Old 10-10-02, 06:14 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lex Diamonds

The scratches on the paint is something totally different - I had to get that part repainted. Lexus provides a high powered gloss in the paint so if it is un-noticeable - don't rush to empty your pockets.
...does that mean repainting is expensive?

I think I may hold out for a while....see if I can get a custom body kit....otherwise it would be stupid to paint the body panels.

-speaking of insurance..are aftermarket body kits covered by insurance?
Old 10-10-02, 09:11 PM
blux
Pole Position

Yes, and no. Most people with a lot of cosmetic modifications have someone from the insurance company out to look at there car, to determine that you actually do have what you say you do. Like for instance your car is usually only insured to what its worth, and if you add some bad-*** rims, body kit....etc....and your car gets damaged, they will only insure what that value was.....yeah anyways, have it looked at if you got all of the goods cuz then if someone rips off your rims or whatever you will have em insured...

I hope that made sence, but call em up and ask...
Old 10-11-02, 10:52 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by blux
Yes, and no. Most people with a lot of cosmetic modifications have someone from the insurance company out to look at there car, to determine that you actually do have what you say you do. Like for instance your car is usually only insured to what its worth, and if you add some bad-*** rims, body kit....etc....and your car gets damaged, they will only insure what that value was.....yeah anyways, have it looked at if you got all of the goods cuz then if someone rips off your rims or whatever you will have em insured...

I hope that made sence, but call em up and ask...
aight, thanks a lot man.