ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Antenna Prob Professional Help plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-02, 07:50 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Prob Professional Help plz

Hey everybody. I officially installed my new stereo all by my self and im a noob. I'd have to say after doing it one time i was cautious but if I were to do it again i would be in and out in a hour tops. Its a simple job. If anything, the hardest part was probably taking out the stock stereo.

Anyways everything works fine except for one thing.

The new stereo that i bought only has one slot for the power antenna, BUT I have 2 pluges to power the antenna, as I noticed after they are both important. The thickerone I fit into the stereo but the thinner plug I figured out powers the antenna to go up and down.

So the problem is that my antenna does not go up to get a better signal.

Any advise? If it helps anymore, its a 96 es300. Is there an adapter of some converter that i can get? for 2 plugs into one.

Also have to say, autotoys is a very good and reliable source for all your lex needs. There fast and very secure.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-02, 01:22 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

Hmm...that's odd, that smaller plug is just a diversity tuning for the OEM headunit, it shouldn't have anything to do with the power antenna going up or down from the aftermarket radio. Do you have a harness adapter? Typically, the blue wires from the headunit and harness should be wired up as that is the power antenna turn on.

Luc
Old 10-09-02, 09:32 AM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Yes, I installed the metra converter from the stock wires to the new stereo. The only porblem after i first installed it was i DIDN"T attach the blue//white wire=amplifier to the stereo because there was no available wire. Instead i used the power antenna wire to attack to the antenna//amplifier wire from the new stereo,

The problem was that after i finished there was no sound, so i decided to switch that wire with the metra blue white wire=amplifier with the solid blue wire=antenna. Then i got sound but the signal was bad.

Any suggestions. I went to see a technitian and he said that this model and the camry need an additional install for everything to work fine. Is this true?
Old 10-09-02, 11:16 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is right. The antenna gets more information from the stock headunit than just "up" and "down" as you can see by the extra wires attached on this example from the SC wiring diagram.

I know on my GS the antenna moves up and down a little bit depending on what station I'm listening to. Crazy. Here is an attachment to show you what I'm talking about.

source: http://www.lexusport.com/abutler696/
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
antenna.bmp (54.7 KB, 479 views)
Old 10-09-02, 03:25 PM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

So did you get an adpater to solve this problem, or do you suggest getting a new and more simple antenna installed?
Old 10-09-02, 05:27 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Adaptor is probably cheapest. Is that what the guy at the stereo shop suggested? He's probably going to build one custom, unless Toyota's have this problem, too. I haven't seen any on the shelves anywhere (adaptors that is).

Has anyone gone all Radio Shack on this problem and made their own adaptor?

I haven't actually replaced my stock headunit yet so I don't have any personal experience with this but I've been researching it for a while.

I've seen other posts about this, search the electronics forum if you haven't already. Sorry I don't know the definitive answer.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 10-09-02 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-14-02, 12:19 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY...er_antenna.htm
I found this website and it tells about installing an aftermarket antenna in an LS400. It reveals some of the secrets of Lexus power antennas from 92-96 so read through it and see if you can solve the prob you are having.

It explains how to use a low voltage trigger, which I think might be the answer.

Please let us know if this helps at all and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Pianoman72; 10-14-02 at 12:20 PM.