ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92-96 Radio and Climate light bulbs - LCD backlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 07:27 PM
V8Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the ES300...does the LCD climate display (not the buttons)
have screw in bulbs.....or do they have to be soldered in?
Old 11-09-02, 07:31 PM
khark
Driver

They are soldered in.
Old 11-09-02, 07:41 PM
V8Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Im curious if any of you own or been in an SC? I am wondering if the bulbs are the same.....or if the color and brightness is the same, as this is a big problem with the SC too.
Old 11-09-02, 07:59 PM
khark
Driver

I own a '95 SC400 and a '95 ES300.
Old 11-09-02, 08:21 PM
V8Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Would you say the brightness and color of the climate controls bulbs in the ES and SC are the same then?
I just want to know if the ES bulbs will work in the SC and be the same brightness and color.
Actually, you have a 95....so your lights are amber arent they in the SC?
Old 11-10-02, 01:08 PM
khark
Driver

Originally posted by V8Soarer
Would you say the brightness and color of the climate controls bulbs in the ES and SC are the same then?
I just want to know if the ES bulbs will work in the SC and be the same brightness and color.
Actually, you have a 95....so your lights are amber arent they in the SC?
Someone changed the control in my SC before I bought it, they must have used an earlier one because the lights are blue.
Old 11-13-02, 02:36 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

awhiteboy....you mentioned a lot of the other bulbs you had used burnt out quickly. How do you know these Pioneer ones wont either?
Also, how do you know the Pioneer bulbs are the exact same ones that were used before? I was told the bulbs were made by Denso.
Old 11-13-02, 05:37 PM
TexasES300
Driver School Candidate

Default reply

mjr24.....that is what I thought. So which bulb is the original ? If not, I'm going to local auto store and buy the bulb that fit and have the same size
Old 11-13-02, 08:59 PM
awhiteguy
Driver School Candidate

Default The Original Bulb

The Pioneer bulb is the original bulb. The 92-96 stereos were made by Pioneer. Denso probably designed the climate control jointly with Pioneer to make sure that the color and brightness matched.

awhiteguy
Old 11-13-02, 11:01 PM
awhiteguy
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention something. The pioneer bulb is the original for the radio (made by pioneer). I know it is also the right bulb for the climate control because I measured the voltage going to the climate control bulbs and it is also 8 volts.

As I mentioned in a previous post, you can't find 8 volt bulbs at the auto parts store. Most likely 12 volt bulbs won't be bright enough.

I suggest you do the job right the first time and order the ORIGINAL bulbs - CEL1247.

I'm just trying to save you guys from tearing it apart 3 or 4 times like I did.

Good Luck,

awhiteguy
Old 11-17-02, 04:54 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

No I believe you, I just wanted to make sure. I ordered the bulbs last week.
Old 11-21-02, 12:39 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, I have those 3 bulbs from Pioneer for sale, unopened. I just got them today from Pioneer after reading this thread but they were not the same bulbs as are in the SC. So if you guys want to pick these bulbs up email me at mjr52521280@aol.com or PM me.
Old 03-22-03, 12:34 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Default Well I must be doing something wrong..

Originally posted by awhiteguy
It is not very easy to do, but here is how.

Once you have the climate control apart, take all the screws out that you see (that hold the front cover to the board). Then I think there are three screws that hold the white lcd housing to the board.

CAREFULLY bend the entire lcd back, using the white housing to hold on to. You will see the place where the three bulbs are attached to the board.

Bend the lcd back enough to remove the white housing completely. It will make it much easier to solder the new bulbs in place with the housing out of the way.

Order the new bulbs from:
Pioneer Parts 1-800-457-2881
Part # CEL1247

I did this several times and the lcd didn't break, so just be careful and you should be fine.
Because I ordered the exact bulbs removed the old ones, solidered them in and nothing.. NO light at all.
Old 01-07-04, 05:07 PM
awhiteguy
Driver School Candidate

Default No Lights = Bad Diode

BigRich,

About a month ago the lights went out on my climate control. I traced it to a bad diode on the opposite side of the board from the 7808 voltage regulator (big 3 pin chip that provides 8 volts for the lights). They (2 of them) are surface mount diodes, but I just replaced it with a standard through hole mount 1N1004 from Radioshack by snipping the leads really short and bending the leads down to touch the board. The length of the replacement part plus the leads were about the same as the original surface mount diode. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't think about it.

Anyway, if you replaced the bulbs, I'm sure you can do this too. Just make sure you mount it in the correct direction, which is marked on the pcb. Also, before desoldering you can check to see if it is bad by shorting across each diode individually with a wire. If the lights come on, then it is the diode that is bad. If you have a meter, you can also measure the resistance. A good diode will measure infinite resistance in one direction and a very low resistance in the other direction. My bad diode measured infinite in both directions, which means it failed open, and explains why the lights were not on.

Good Luck,
awhiteguy
Old 01-14-04, 12:51 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

my climate control lights are out as we speak, i took it apart... but how the heck to you get to the bulbs!?

Quick Reply: 92-96 Radio and Climate light bulbs - LCD backlight