ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

noise when turning left while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 03:30 PM
gulffishin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when turning left while accelerating

Hey guys, I have an 03 ES300 with about 145K trouble free miles I noticed over the last 6-7 months that whenever I am holding a left turn and accelerating at the same time (like on an on-ramp) I get this very faint noise coming from the steering column area.

It only happens when I am accelerating and turning left, not just turning left into a parking spot or accelerating in a straight line and not when I turn right...

It's hard to explain the sound it's kind of a vibration or rattle like sound.

Do you think this a sign of something serious, or just a harmonic vibration that I never noticed before?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-18-11, 05:42 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check you CV Boots/Joints, they may have torn emitting noise and worse sprayed out all the grease onto your wheel wells.

If just the boots, it is a pretty easy fix, it you lost your grease you can replace it but make sure it is the same brand/type. some grease are incompatible with each other.
Old 11-19-11, 09:27 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Most likely the left axle is bad (CV boots). It's easier to just replace it than to attempt repair. I believe Lexus sell them for about $200.
Old 11-19-11, 12:24 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gulffishin
whenever I am holding a left turn and accelerating at the same time (like on an on-ramp) I get this very faint noise coming from the steering column area.

It only happens when I am accelerating and turning left, not just turning left into a parking spot or accelerating in a straight line and not when I turn right...

It's hard to explain the sound it's kind of a vibration or rattle like sound.
Mine does a loud rattle inside the steering column only when I'm turning (even slightly) to the left over a bumpy road.
Old 11-21-11, 05:33 PM
gulffishin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the CV boots, and they didn't seem to be torn. I also rolled down the windows and drove around in a parking lot trying to replicate the sound. I could hear the sound with the windows up, but could not hear anything outside the car...maybe the wind noise was too high.

I'm thinking of getting my struts changed soon, and I will let the dealer check it out while I am there.

If it's too expensive then.... I have been wanting an LS for a while anyways

I had the steering intermediate shaft replaced under my certified warranty many years ago, but that sound was a lot louder than this one.

Last edited by gulffishin; 11-21-11 at 05:52 PM.