ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

First major problem with my 2001 es300

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11 | 11:57 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Just got my car back from the Lexus dealer. Here are my final comments and observations.

The final cost was $900 plus tax. This amount included about $100 of materials as well as a wheel alignment which is mandatory if the sub frame is removed. This was my case as the transmission needed to come out in order to change the rear oil seal.

Once the transmission was out the mechanic confirmed that the problem is indeed the rear oil seal, but he allso noticed that the transmission seal was starting to leak, so they changed that as well at no additional cost for either parts or labour.

All in all they hanged the rear oils seal, the transmission seal, a couple of gaskets and bolts for the exhaust pipe which also had to be disconnected, did a wheel alignment, washed my car, drove me home last night when I dropped it off, and picked me up this morning when my car was ready.

With the exception that they sprayed the inside of my car with some awfull smelling car fresher, the experience was excellent.

The main advantage of bringing the car to a Lexus dealer is that they typically know what they are doing and have the necessary parts and tools in stock should additional parts be required ( ie: the transmission oil seal). Of course the disadvantage is the additional cost compared to an Independent garage.

Overall my experience has been excellent, Nothing went wrong, but I am now down $1000,00

Also when I dropped off the car yesterday, I overheard two Service advisers complimenting the car how good it looks, and one of them even saying that it's the nices 2001 Lexus he ever saw. They did not know that I overheard them, nor did they know that it's my car. So that at least cheered me up.

Thank you all for your feedbacks

Phil
Old 11-29-11 | 12:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

$1000 is a good deal for all that work. Honestly, I don't think I would do it if someone paid me a grand. Well I would consider it, but it is a lot of work, especially for a backyard mechanic.
Old 11-29-11 | 12:54 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
$1000 is a good deal for all that work. Honestly, I don't think I would do it if someone paid me a grand. Well I would consider it, but it is a lot of work, especially for a backyard mechanic.
I am in Canada, and I think that the way that this specific Lexus dealer operates, is that they have a pool of retired Lexus mechanics that are willing to be on call for overnight work. Each such mechanic with his own specialty. So when they need an overnight mechanic with the specific expertise required for my rear oil seal leak issue, they would call him in to perform the Job overnight.

This is probably less expensive for them as they would only call them on a need be basis, and I benefit as well as I am getting a mechanic with the relevant specific expertise.

Either way it was truly a great experience.
Old 11-29-11 | 01:01 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

well, for $1k, if you get the service and peace of mind you expected, it's worth every penny.
Old 11-29-11 | 02:06 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

The price was fair. Forgive them for the freshener
Old 11-29-11 | 06:37 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Excellent price and service. Glad it worked out for you. Wish our local dealer was like that...
Old 12-03-11 | 12:32 AM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

A few years ago, when a moderate DIY family member went to Toyota stealer to replace timing belt on his Camry. Several weeks later this mystery small oil leak/drip under his car. Back to the dealer and complain they wanted $500+ to replace crank/camshaft seal something like that.

It took a few weeks to find out where it came from. There was one special was bolt which was not really tight that cause the oil leak/drip. It locates always up between engine and transmission when you are looking from under the car. Tight the bolt and never see the oil drip again for last two years.

PFB: I am not a PI. Did you replace timing belt recently? The mechanic/ garage who worked/serviced on your car may or may not intend to do this or it is a real leak on your car. But, I would become to concern and suspect when a mechanic says he would works over night on your car in a dealer environment. Small independent garage may be, but not in a stealer property.

Last edited by TOLex168; 12-03-11 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-03-11 | 05:06 AM
imherenow
Racer

did they give u loaner car? they should
Old 12-03-11 | 05:58 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TOLex168
A few years ago, when a moderate DIY family member went to Toyota stealer to replace timing belt on his Camry. Several weeks later this mystery small oil leak/drip under his car. Back to the dealer and complain they wanted $500+ to replace crank/camshaft seal something like that.

It took a few weeks to find out where it came from. There was one special was bolt which was not really tight that cause the oil leak/drip. It locates always up between engine and transmission when you are looking from under the car. Tight the bolt and never see the oil drip again for last two years.

PFB: I am not a PI. Did you replace timing belt recently? The mechanic/ garage who worked/serviced on your car may or may not intend to do this or it is a real leak on your car. But, I would become to concern and suspect when a mechanic says he would works over night on your car in a dealer environment. Small independent garage may be, but not in a stealer property.
I Did do a timing belt Service at the same Lexus Dealer about 6 Weeks Ago. At that time I was able to watch what the Mechanic was doing (Behind a glass Window) and they even called me in several times to show me their work in progress. They knew that I was watching them the whole time. They were nowhere near the rear seal area, so there is no way they could have caused that leak.

In terms of the rear main seal leak repair, I was not there since they were doing the Job overnight, so I have to trust them that it was not just a loose bolt but that they truly lower the transmission and changed the rear engine oil seal.

I am concerned however as to why it happened. The car has only 96K Miles. And has been maintained with Synthetic Oil (Mobil 1 Extended Life 5 W30 every 3K Miles). Especially as I did extensive searches on this site and did not find ANY ES300s with a leaking rear Oil Seal issue.

Many RX 300s with leaking rear oil seals but not one ES300. So now I am thinking that there is something else going on. Perhaps excess pressure in the Crankcase, which caused my Seal to blow. (Excess Blow by)

So I will start a new Blow By thread on this shortly, and will be looking for additional feedback

Last edited by PFB; 12-03-11 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-03-11 | 06:01 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by imherenow
did they give u loaner car? they should
They did not have a loaner car available at the time, but since the work was to be done overnight, and be completed the next morning, they offered to drive me back home, and pick me up as soon as the car was ready the next morning. This they did.
Old 12-04-11 | 08:03 AM
TOLex168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
I Did do a timing belt Service at the same Lexus Dealer about 6 Weeks Ago. At that time I was able to watch what the Mechanic was doing (Behind a glass Window) and they even called me in several times to show me their work in progress. They knew that I was watching them the whole time. They were nowhere near the rear seal area, so there is no way they could have caused that leak.

In terms of the rear main seal leak repair, I was not there since they were doing the Job overnight, so I have to trust them that it was not just a loose bolt but that they truly lower the transmission and changed the rear engine oil seal.

I am concerned however as to why it happened. The car has only 96K Miles. And has been maintained with Synthetic Oil (Mobil 1 Extended Life 5 W30 every 3K Miles). Especially as I did extensive searches on this site and did not find ANY ES300s with a leaking rear Oil Seal issue.

Many RX 300s with leaking rear oil seals but not one ES300. So now I am thinking that there is something else going on. Perhaps excess pressure in the Crankcase, which caused my Seal to blow. (Excess Blow by)

So I will start a new Blow By thread on this shortly, and will be looking for additional feedback
Even they really did the work, but I would still concern about their ethic that the stealer/mechanic wants to milk your car every a few months.

Right now, my 05 ES330 with 110Kmiles and has not replace timing belt yet. Yes, I know it is VViT, and I take a chance to write off if the timing belt breaks. I will do it the spring with the Lexus power steering recall. I am back in Toronto, and I could not find/know one independent/stealer that trust worthy for timing belt especially with US car.