ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

First major problem with my 2001 es300

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 03:19 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default First major problem with my 2001 es300

Today I noticed an oil leak under the car and saw some drips coming from where the transmission bolts to the engine.. It appears to be engine oil, but am not sure. Could also be transmission oil.

Either way I assume it's the rear engine oil seal. Any ideas as to cost of repair and to what is involved. I am not equipped to do ths myself, and will have an independent do it. Should that be by an independent Garage or a transmission shop.

Does the engine need to come out, or just the transmission? Anyone here ha to deal with a similar problem lately?

Any other ideas.

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 11-26-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 08:39 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if you can remove the transmission without lifting the motor out. If it's either the engine rear main or the transmission input shaft seal then yes, transmission will come out. Get some dye and add it to the engine oil. Clean the engine compartment as best you can ( I prefer simple green). Drive it about 150-200 then check underneath with a black light. If the leak shows the dye then it's the rear main. If the leak shows no signs of dye then the leak is the transmission.
Old 11-26-11, 09:12 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Not sure if you can remove the transmission without lifting the motor out. If it's either the engine rear main or the transmission input shaft seal then yes, transmission will come out. Get some dye and add it to the engine oil. Clean the engine compartment as best you can ( I prefer simple green). Drive it about 150-200 then check underneath with a black light. If the leak shows the dye then it's the rear main. If the leak shows no signs of dye then the leak is the transmission.
I just put some white paper towels underneath, and will look again in about 1 hr.. Earlier at first glance it appeared to be engine oil, but will know for sure once the oil appears on the white paper towels.

I will also try and see if perhaps its originating from the rear valve cover gasket, and dripping down to where the transmission and engine connect. Sure hope so. I tried looking for a leak at the rear valve cover already but its hard to get a visual. Maybe a mirror will help.

But assuming the worst and that its engine oil, and it's the rear seal, than can I get it fixed by just having the transmission removed without lifting the engine?
Old 11-26-11, 09:14 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 2002 RX300 recently. The lexus dealer and Midas said about $1200 to replace gasket/seal. Midas recommended 'Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer'. After a couple of days or so, the oil leak stopped. I only paid about $44 including the labor and oil stabilizer. While they didn't guarantee its fix using oil stabilizer but it's worth spending about roughly $50 and see if it fix it. If you want to do it by yourself, it would be less than $50.
Old 11-27-11, 06:55 AM
97'ES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on the car? Have you ever replaced the rear valve cover gasket?
Old 11-27-11, 06:56 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to clean it off and see exactly where the oil is coming from. these engines do leak from the various covers on the heads

Did you recently change the oil? --- how many on the motor?

On an older engine I would see if the high mile oil makes any difference -- If not .. I try the conditioner the swells the rear main seal. I had great results with just using the HM Oil.

You can remove the transmission without the engine -- but you really don't want to be doing this if you can reduce it.
Old 11-27-11, 09:49 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

On other cars I have actually had really good luck with the seal conditioner type treatments, I would try the Lucas product and give it a few weeks.

You have to ask yourself whether it's worth spending over a thousand dollars on a repair for a car that's probably only worth $5k all because it's dripping a few pennies of oil per month.

My advice would be stick a pan underneath and keep an eye on it if it's the rear main seal (assuming we're talking about a small leak of few drops a week) I would rather put that money towards a more needed repair in the future.
Old 11-27-11, 11:45 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Thank you all for your replies and advise so far. So here is the latest and the mystery is growing.

I went to check this morning the drips on the white bowl paper that I put under the car, and its definitely engine oil. I was also able to see where its dripping from.

The problem is that its very hard to explain the origin of the drip without actually taking pictures and I can't do that until I have the car on a lift which will be tomorrow at a garage, I did manage to see it by shoving a mirror and a flashlight under the car. Basically, if you can picture it, the oil drips out about 2" in front (Looking towards the front of the car) of the Transmission oil drain plug. Its an Aluminum housing, and seems to be the same one that the transmission oil pan is attached to, but its definitely not from the transmission oil pan, (2" in front of it) and its definitely Engine Oil.

The drip seems to originate at the bottom, out of seemingly nowhere, although there is a bolt there that attaches it to something, but I can't to to what. That bolt is wet with engine oil, and the oil could be coming from that bolt; It also seem to leak onto the Cat Converter, and than get burned off.

So at this point, based on the location of the oil drips, I don't think that I am looking at a rear engine oil seal issue, Or am I?

What could possibly cause engine oil to drip out at that location? The top of the engine, including both Valve cover gaskets are completely dry

Last edited by PFB; 11-27-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-27-11, 12:31 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97'ES
How many miles on the car? Have you ever replaced the rear valve cover gasket?
My RX has about 117K on it now. I have not replaced rear valve cover gasket before.
The leak was from the engine close to transmission.
So, the labor was the biggest part of the repair cost than the part itself.
Old 11-28-11, 11:31 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Here is the latest update.

I brought my car to a local Lexus dealer this AM to have him diagnose my oil leak problem. He lifted the car and saw the oil drips but was not sure if it's from the rear main seal or from the secondary oil pan cover (did not even know the car had such a thing).

He unscrewed a small inspection plate, but still could not tell for sure which of the two components is actually the cause of the leak. Either way he would need to remove the transmission to determine, and once removed, he will than change both the rear oil seal, as well as the secondary oil pan gasket. He will also need to re-allign the front wheels since the subframe will need to be removed in order for the transmission to come out.

The car is there now. They will work on it overnight, and it should be ready tomorrow AM

Total cost $1,000 plus tax. Does that sound right?

Thanks

Phil.
Old 11-28-11, 12:03 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

oh man, so much money for minor oil leaks...ouch.
but then if you want it to be perfect, then there's no other way.
Old 11-28-11, 02:22 PM
97'ES
Driver

I wish my dealer worked overnight lol... actually I don't because I wouldn't dream of paying their inflated prices. A grand Canadian is not too bad for that repair though.... You still haven't said how many miles on the car unless I missed it.....
Old 11-28-11, 02:44 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97'ES
I wish my dealer worked overnight lol... actually I don't because I wouldn't dream of paying their inflated prices. A grand Canadian is not too bad for that repair though.... You still haven't said how many miles on the car unless I missed it.....
Sorry forgot. It has 96k miles, (160k km)

That leak is something I didn't expect. It appeared suddenly out of the blue. This car is still by FAR the best car I've ever owned. Including several Mercedes' I've owned previously.

Last edited by PFB; 11-28-11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 06:21 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
Here is the latest update.

I brought my car to a local Lexus dealer this AM to have him diagnose my oil leak problem. He lifted the car and saw the oil drips but was not sure if it's from the rear main seal or from the secondary oil pan cover (did not even know the car had such a thing).

He unscrewed a small inspection plate, but still could not tell for sure which of the two components is actually the cause of the leak. Either way he would need to remove the transmission to determine, and once removed, he will than change both the rear oil seal, as well as the secondary oil pan gasket. He will also need to re-allign the front wheels since the subframe will need to be removed in order for the transmission to come out.

The car is there now. They will work on it overnight, and it should be ready tomorrow AM

Total cost $1,000 plus tax. Does that sound right?

Thanks

Phil.
The cost isn't overly bad but a good mechanic would not need to remove the transmission to make such an assessment. Hope it works out well. Good luck.
Old 11-28-11, 10:40 PM
97'ES
Driver

Originally Posted by mdbrown
The cost isn't overly bad but a good mechanic would not need to remove the transmission to make such an assessment. Hope it works out well. Good luck.
Definitely inclined to agree, shouldn't have to ever tear a tranny out and drop a subframe to diagnose an oil leak... 96k is generally early for a rear main on a 1mz. Do you use a quality synthetic oil? Good luck with everything let us know how it goes. I've gone through front and rear VCG's and that would be it, the rear leaked pretty bad. The associated seals with the timing belt looked like new after a life of Mobil One. I don't believe it to be coincidence.

Quick Reply: First major problem with my 2001 es300