ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Front end rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 12:30 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Front end rattle

Hey guys,

I've been getting a front end rattle for some time now, something is definitely not right or loose. It's noticable at slower speeds when going over bumps etc, but at higher speeds you can't even notice it.

I took it into a shop today and the guy said the front end struts need to be replaced.

Does this seem possible?

Car is a 2001 ES300 with 185 000 km or 115 000 miles.

Also, the guy quoted me $ 800 bucks total for parts and labor to replace them. $ 530 ish for the parts alone. Any cheaper places to find them online?

Thanks
Old 12-02-11, 01:06 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hmm well from the symptoms looks like it could also be sway bar links..well thats what i had when i went over bumps and @ slow speeds..always check with a different mechanic or get 2nd opinion if you are not sure. if its sway bar links then its not expensive. plus i got it changed from a lexus dealership

Last edited by imherenow; 12-02-11 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 03:10 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeah it has to be the sway bar links/bushings. I have the same noise and I know my links are loose, I just haven't had a chance to tackle the job.
Old 12-02-11, 03:16 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by imherenow
hmm well from the symptoms looks like it could also be sway bar links..well thats what i had when i went over bumps and @ slow speeds..always check with a different mechanic or get 2nd opinion if you are not sure. if its sway bar links then its not expensive. plus i got it changed from a lexus dealership
I'm def going to get some more opinions, does the Lexus dealership do free evaluations?
Old 12-02-11, 03:17 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Yeah it has to be the sway bar links/bushings. I have the same noise and I know my links are loose, I just haven't had a chance to tackle the job.
How much are those to replace? Any good place to buy them?
Old 12-02-11, 04:03 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok keep in mind it could very well be the struts. Worn bearing plates will make a rattling noise when going over bumps. I know of no dealer that will do a free inspection. Depending on where you are I would recommend you talk to those you know and find a local place with a good reputation. Could be the links as well.
Old 12-02-11, 04:05 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

free???hmmm not sure i doubt it but u dont need to go to lexus guys..just go to like midas or someone private and have them look @ it too..
but u can call lexus ppl and ask them if they charge to have a look @ it..but i think they will charge..
for me i went for a timing belt change and i asked them to have a look @ the noise that the car was making and thats what they said that i need a new sway bars link..

u could ask toyota dealership to see if they sell/install the sway bar link ( if that is the problem) since the Es is same as camry ( in many aspects) ..lexus guys will charge a lot.
but i say just go to dealer ship for things like these kind of work....

Last edited by imherenow; 12-02-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 06:18 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't buy locally. Buy from rockauto.com [i REALLY love this site, went from one order to three within a month that's how much i saved.] Also, i had 210k on mine when it was time to change - so your roads may be slightly worse, etc, but its about that mileage to change them.

FWIW, i'd get the struts. Endlinks and bushings don't make that much noise.

This was my case, i went bushings, endlinks, and finally it was the struts - cheapest to priciest. For 2/3 the price of the struts i was quoted locally, i had all my bushings/links/struts replaced.

I'd suggest 'monroe quick struts' since it cuts down install time [lesser of two evils] springs last, but at the same time you'll be going back for strut mounts [another common issue]. Like i said, the mech. would spend a lot of time dicking around with removing/compressing reinstalling the new struts. Where the quick struts are literally, drop & replace.

Your call, that's my 0.02. And i've been dealing with these issues myself within the last month & a half. Drives wicked now, like a new car.
Old 12-02-11, 07:27 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Don't buy locally. Buy from rockauto.com [i REALLY love this site, went from one order to three within a month that's how much i saved.] Also, i had 210k on mine when it was time to change - so your roads may be slightly worse, etc, but its about that mileage to change them.

FWIW, i'd get the struts. Endlinks and bushings don't make that much noise.

This was my case, i went bushings, endlinks, and finally it was the struts - cheapest to priciest. For 2/3 the price of the struts i was quoted locally, i had all my bushings/links/struts replaced.

I'd suggest 'monroe quick struts' since it cuts down install time [lesser of two evils] springs last, but at the same time you'll be going back for strut mounts [another common issue]. Like i said, the mech. would spend a lot of time dicking around with removing/compressing reinstalling the new struts. Where the quick struts are literally, drop & replace.

Your call, that's my 0.02. And i've been dealing with these issues myself within the last month & a half. Drives wicked now, like a new car.
Yea I was looking at that site, you linked it in the timing belt kit thread. Can you give me the part numbers or links of the quick struts, bushings, and links? Just for the front. I'm curious to see what they come out to...
Old 12-02-11, 08:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ just select it from the list - you have many options... its all a drop down menu and then select which ones.

Oh yeah they have 10% discount codes too... if you end up there, lmk and i'll PM you the code they gave me [for buying from them]

Struts ran me;
CAD$ 596.94 [shipped to US, i have a 45min drive to the border] vs. 1100$ locally tax-in [this was the cheapest rate]
Bushings for the front & Stabilizer bars were ~46$ CAD

Also, I paid locally for my rear bushings & bars ~150$ so yeah - it sucked. Where i could've had the same for around 50$ from RockAuto...

Last edited by 01LEXPL; 12-02-11 at 08:20 PM.