ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: How would you rank your ES300?
Great! Few problems, very reliable and enjoyable.
64.52%
Good. Enjoyable ride but few problems and issues
32.26%
OK. The ride is mediocre and the reliability is OK.
3.23%
Ehh. Not good, not bad.
0%
Bad. Lots of issues and the ride is kind of crappy
0%
Terrible! An awful car to own and a money pit.
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Rate your Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 01:42 PM
worldforgo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate your Lexus ES300

How would you rate your experience with your ES300 in the time you have had it?
Old 12-06-11, 03:09 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

superbly reliable, a huge money pit because i'm modding it too much.
crazy fun to drive but still has lots of problems haha
Old 12-06-11, 03:54 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2001 Windom/ES300

Great car, good on gas, only few issues i've had is a spongy ride, shock mounts tend to go out after a while, especially in the rear, while the stock suspension is comfortable it does gets boring quick, a quick change of the suspension components solves this problem. however that in itself can be pricy...

Overall satisfaction... excellent!! as you can't beat the reliability.
Old 12-06-11, 04:36 PM
jankiwi
Driver School Candidate

seems to be a great car so far
Old 12-06-11, 08:03 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I feel like you can't talk about reliability if you own a second hand, high mileage automobile. Only the cost of maintenance is relevant at that point. Having said that, everything I've done to my ES is completely reasonable considering its age. There is still a bunch of things I would like to do to it to make it flawless, but that all depends on my bank account.
Old 12-06-11, 08:11 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the car has gone through many harsh climate and i must say in return i got excellent ride and safety quality with few problems..but as the car is aging maintenance is a MUST. Therefore my experience has been absolutely great!!! i love my ES!!!
Old 12-06-11, 08:30 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience has been really great. Car needs a few new suspension pieces now from wear and tear, but overall no problems aside from regular maintenance. I also live in a harsh climate and the car still looks really good, outside and underneath. I've got 185,000 km and I'm pretty sure it will go 400,000 + no problem. Since I'm a nut I run Amsoil synthetic in it and change the oil every 8000 km on the dot.

If there's one thing I could complain about it's the cupholders, they are ****in terrible!
Old 12-06-11, 08:42 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
My experience has been really great. Car needs a few new suspension pieces now from wear and tear, but overall no problems aside from regular maintenance. I also live in a harsh climate and the car still looks really good, outside and underneath. I've got 185,000 km and I'm pretty sure it will go 400,000 + no problem. Since I'm a nut I run Amsoil synthetic in it and change the oil every 8000 km on the dot.

If there's one thing I could complain about it's the cupholders, they are ****in terrible!
haha ya they are indeed terrible..even with slight turn the bottle falls..so now i keep smaller size bottles instead..
Old 12-07-11, 10:50 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

My cup holders are broken, those things are useless anyway, I just keep a water bottle on my passenger seat.
Old 12-07-11, 04:44 PM
dmight
Rookie

187000 on my 96 ES300, been driving it for a year this week now. I can think of no reason to trade it. Looks good, rides great and quiet, low maintenance. Everything is stock as in no mods. Had to do front brakes and calibers, and a new radiator since I bought it. A little touch up here and there, And some very deep cleaning inside and out. 27+ mpg on the highway. doesn't leak or use oil. Like some of the others here, the cup holders are lacking, but I got some great Thermos stainless steal cups a while back as a gift and they sort of fit. LOL! Even though it's older and has some miles on it, I'm more than pleased. I think the worse thing about the car was when I first got it, had to remove the crappy aftermarket window tinting, and the interior was badly soiled, and the paint was very dull. I feel the car will last me at least 4 or 5 years if I want to keep it that long.
Old 12-08-11, 12:19 AM
Memo
Driver School Candidate

I love my es300. It's fast enough to be enjoyable and even with four struts in need of replacing, I feel the handling is reliable.

The only complaint that I have really couldn't be considered a complaint at all. At least, I don't think it goes against the car.
That'd be parts cost. I've had the car for almost 30,000miles and with it having 164,000 when I got it, I've been spending a bit here and there trying to make sure I keep the maintenance up-to-date.(timing belt is next)
I had gotten into a small accident and it's nearly impossible to find these cars in scrap yards. (Really, this is a GOOD thing.)

Like I said, it's to be expected with *any* older vehicle and especially a luxury car. So, there's really no complaints at all. I plan to keep this car until the engine dies and I'll probably put another one in after that!
Old 12-10-11, 08:19 PM
worldforgo
Driver

I have found part cost is quite reasonable compared to my prior car a Hyundai Tiburon.
Old 12-23-11, 11:16 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best car I've ever owned. love it!
Old 12-24-11, 10:21 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When it 's working it's great. The problems I've had caused the VSC to turn off, which is a bummer when you need it in the snow. The problems, which I fixed myself, were bad O2 sensors, bank 2 knock sensor and leaky valve gasket covers (when I switched to full synthetic). (everyone knows what a PITA it is to remove the rear valve cover.) Bought it with about 2 years ago with about 123K and now have 141K on it. Like I said when it's working I love it. Sometimes I just take it out for a drive.
Old 12-24-11, 10:26 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imherenow
haha ya they are indeed terrible..even with slight turn the bottle falls..so now i keep smaller size bottles instead..
Thats the one thing i could air some grievances about.
the cupholders suck!

Quick Reply: Rate your Lexus ES300