ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

01 ES300 Steering Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 11:31 AM
LarsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ES300 Steering Slipping

Not sure if its related, but I had the transmission rebuilt about a month ago and when I got the car back I noticed the steering wheel wasnt as straight as it was before...no big deal, it didnt need a wheel alignment..and the car goes straight when I let go of the wheel.
Anyway, now I have an issue...when Im going around curves or bends in the road, or even making turns, the steering wheel slips a little. It happens when im going left or right...seems to happen easier when I go right though.
I called the transmission guy to see if he had a clue what it might be, but alls he said it that its not related to the transmission work he did (shocking I know lol) and that I could bring it to him to have it fixed, whatever the problem is.

Anyone have a clue what this slipping issue in the steering might be?
Old 12-08-11, 12:10 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsLexus
Not sure if its related, but I had the transmission rebuilt about a month ago and when I got the car back I noticed the steering wheel wasnt as straight as it was before...no big deal, it didnt need a wheel alignment..and the car goes straight when I let go of the wheel.
Anyway, now I have an issue...when Im going around curves or bends in the road, or even making turns, the steering wheel slips a little. It happens when im going left or right...seems to happen easier when I go right though.
I called the transmission guy to see if he had a clue what it might be, but alls he said it that its not related to the transmission work he did (shocking I know lol) and that I could bring it to him to have it fixed, whatever the problem is.

Anyone have a clue what this slipping issue in the steering might be?
If they removed the transmission, than they also had to remove some steering related components in order tolatke it out. Hence, a wheel alignment should have been done when the transmission work was completed.
Old 12-08-11, 12:29 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

if they removed the subframe to get the transmission out, hell yea it's related to the job he did!
get an alignment asap!
Old 12-08-11, 01:18 PM
LarsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car drives perfectly straight though...when I let go of the wheel, the cars doesnt veer at all. Im pretty sure an alignment is for fixing alignment issues..this isnt an alignment issue..its a steering issue...the steering wheel itslef is literally slipping a little bit during a turn either direction...the steering wheel slips about one inch. Otherwise, the car goes perfectly straight with no problem..no pulling to one side or the other..I dont even have to hold the wheel to go straight at any speeds.
Old 12-10-11, 08:23 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY way a steering wheel can "slip" is if you don;t grip it tightly, so I don't really understand the problem. IF the car is going stright and there are NO issues with when driving, how is it "slipping"?
Old 12-10-11, 01:05 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask someone to steer the wheel side to side while you look at the steering rack. If the rack is moving then the auto shop mechanics didn't secure it properly to the cross member.