ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

need new struts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11 | 12:31 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new struts...

So I think my rear struts are blown...when I go over speed bumps there is a lot of bounce in the rear and it makes this noise(very hard to explain)...but I want a stiffer ride anyways. Any suggestions? I have had my es for a while now but still only really know about the honda game although I did do a swap in my ES about a year ago so Im not that incompetent in the Lexus game. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under 500 bucks doing all the work myself ofcourse. Not sure if I want just some stiffer struts and springs or go coilovers...what say you all?
Old 12-26-11 | 01:13 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm I guess for your budget to keep it under $500, it would be better to give a look at the Monroe Quick Struts, those might fit your budget.
Old 12-26-11 | 02:15 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeremy-KY
Hmm I guess for your budget to keep it under $500, it would be better to give a look at the Monroe Quick Struts, those might fit your budget.
Really? You can get full coilovers for a civic for around $500 bucks...they're not teins or anything like that but they're decent quality. You couldn't pay me to put monroe struts on my car....

If my budget is too low then tell me, like I said I've never bought any sort of aftermatket part for my car....
Old 12-26-11 | 04:46 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

Budget is too low. Unless you plan on installing them yourself. Then you could get KYB GR-2's which are supposedly very similar to stock ride. Coilovers your looking at about 1000$ uninstalled.
Old 12-26-11 | 06:05 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

Yes I plan on installing them myself
Old 12-26-11 | 06:06 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

I want something that will lower my ride as well as stiffen it up ...
Old 12-26-11 | 06:36 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CoryMiller
Really? You can get full coilovers for a civic for around $500 bucks...they're not teins or anything like that but they're decent quality. You couldn't pay me to put monroe struts on my car....

If my budget is too low then tell me, like I said I've never bought any sort of aftermatket part for my car....
Why not? I have the whole set on mine i just did. Drives better than before. Cost me ~540$ ish shipped. From www.rockauto.com
Monroe quickstruts - the whole deal. Didn't want to waste time with individual components only to pay the mechanicn in labor where i would think i'm 'saving' money in not getting new springs...

And yeah, the sooner you realize these aren't civics, the better. I know the honda game - and this isn't it. Mediocre coils are 1k for these. Tein springs are around 400$, Struts - depends where you go, give or take 100$/corner [on average] Strut mounts [next thing that makes noise] 70$/corner.

I want something that will lower my ride as well as stiffen it up ...
Coilovers then.
Old 12-26-11 | 07:49 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Hey Cory, I was more or less just thinking on the lines of just replacing your blown struts, Monroe Quick Struts I believe would have probably been the best bang for the buck, since you did say you wanted to stay within $500 range.

I've lowered my 95 Windom using KYB-GR2 with Eibach springs as well back in 07, those are a good combo as well, and the springs lowered the car by about an inch all around.

If you want to lower your ride as well as stiffen it up, then I would recommend looking at coilovers, you can get a good set for about 1k

I hope this helps you out =) don't forget to send pictures of your car too!!!
Old 12-26-11 | 08:11 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

I emailed a guy on here about some BC coilovers and he quoted me on $995 shipped to my door. From the looks of things that is a pretty fair price. I just didn't realize aftermarket parts were so much more expensive for these cars than Hondas....guess I'll get used to it.
Old 12-26-11 | 08:19 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Ahh sweet, heres a top tip, Look for the Toyota Camry Coilovers from BC Racing, They will fit your car, they also come with top mounts and adjustable camber plate for the front.

If you get the Lexus Spec'd BC Racing coilovers (the ones that I have(they are part# SKU R-13)) you'll need to dis-assemble your old shocks for the mounts, as they do not come with top mounts.

I believe the proper part# for the 94+ Camry Coilovers are Part# SKU C-06, with a spring rate of 7k (392lbs/inch) front and 3k (168lbs/in) rear.
Old 12-26-11 | 09:07 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

ahh...thanks for the tip. How is the ride? This is for a daily driver. The roads are pretty good out here in vegas, not too many pot holes just the occasional dip here or there. Why don't they come with the top mounts?
Old 12-26-11 | 09:21 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

ahh...thanks for the tip. How is the ride? This is for a daily driver. The roads are pretty good out here in vegas, not too many pot holes just the occasional dip here or there. Why don't they come with the top mounts?
Yep, this is for my daily, a 2001 Windom.

The Ride is great (once I get on the smoother roads in my country) Sadly in the Caribbean the roads aren't as smooth as they are in the USA.

The reason they don't come with top mounts is because BC racing, wants you to use the original mounts to keep the suspension geometry in spec, also, I believe original mounts also provide a quieter ride and less road feedback than the pillowball mounts, to my understanding, However I don't really know what the exact differences that pillow-ball top mounts offer, other than they are supposedly better.

For my install, I ended up spending a little extra and bought brand new mounts, which in the end turned out to be the best thing for me, because my rear mounts were pretty much dis-integrating.

However if you can get the ones with the top mounts you won't have to go through the extra step of taking off your old mounts.
Old 12-26-11 | 09:42 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

How much were your brand new mounts? Did you just order them from the dealer or an online dealer? I dound a website that sells OEM lexus parts at a fraction of what the dealer does. Bought an OEM outside door handle from them for 45% of what it costs from Lexus. Have to look up the site again, can't remember the name. I just won my fantasy football league and with that comes a nice $700 payout so I may be picking these up pretty soon.
Old 12-26-11 | 09:58 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

How much were your brand new mounts? Did you just order them from the dealer or an online dealer? I dound a website that sells OEM lexus parts at a fraction of what the dealer does. Bought an OEM outside door handle from them for 45% of what it costs from Lexus. Have to look up the site again, can't remember the name. I just won my fantasy football league and with that comes a nice $700 payout so I may be picking these up pretty soon.

I ordered my mounts through a local dealer, but in hindsight I should have ordered online instead would have gotten them faster, AND cheaper. I ended up paying close to $800 KYD for my parts.
Old 12-26-11 | 10:03 PM
CoryMiller
Rookie

and what's that equate to in USD?

Quick Reply: need new struts...