ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Did I get ripped off with oil leak fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 08:25 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I get ripped off with oil leak fix?

My 2002 ES300 started to have a oil leak, so I took it into a local shop and they put dye in the oil and a few days later told me they found the lower oil pan gasket leaking and the front valve cover leaking. So, I got it fixed with them and here's what they charged:
Lower Oil Pan Gasket - $39.99 parts, $319.00 labor
Left Valve Cover Gasket - $45.47 parts, $154.00 labor

Can anyone tell me if these are reasonable prices they charged?
Old 12-31-11, 09:29 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

All that matters is that it's fixed and over with. It's not like you can do something about it, even if you did get ripped off.
Old 12-31-11, 10:52 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
All that matters is that it's fixed and over with. It's not like you can do something about it, even if you did get ripped off.
Just want to know if the shop is charging decent prices so I know whether or not to go back in the future.
Old 01-01-12, 05:58 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Standard labor time for replacing the lower pan gasket is 2.9 . For the left valve cover gasket is 0.7. Total 3.6 . I wouldn't say you've got ripped off, but I would think twice before going back to that shop in the future.
Old 01-01-12, 06:12 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslivin
Just want to know if the shop is charging decent prices so I know whether or not to go back in the future.
Good Point!
Old 01-01-12, 07:01 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

The only thing that worries me is that they didn't touch the right(rear) valve cover. My guess is that they didn't want to mess with it.
Old 01-01-12, 03:16 PM
Gchutes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my 97 in for a valve cover gasket leak and they charged me about 400 in total. My oil pan needs a reseal and they quoted me another 400 for that.

In short, no you didnt get ripped off, but you did not get the best deal.

My shop didnt put dye in my car, they got it up on the lift during an inspection and upon inspecting my calve cover they saw it was leaking, then showed me.
Old 01-01-12, 05:06 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslivin
My 2002 ES300 started to have a oil leak, so I took it into a local shop and they put dye in the oil and a few days later told me they found the lower oil pan gasket leaking and the front valve cover leaking. So, I got it fixed with them and here's what they charged:
Lower Oil Pan Gasket - $39.99 parts, $319.00 labor
Left Valve Cover Gasket - $45.47 parts, $154.00 labor

Can anyone tell me if these are reasonable prices they charged?
They waived the diagnostic fee though. so it is not a ripoff.
Old 01-01-12, 05:18 PM
lexuslivin
Driver

Originally Posted by yeskay
They waived the diagnostic fee though. so it is not a ripoff.
Yeah, they were charging $30 to diagnose the leak with the dye but they waived it.
Old 01-03-12, 07:05 PM
DCCyclist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Replacement

In reference to the oil leak and getting the pan fixed, has anyone had the entire lower oil pan replaced? I went to Lexus of Rockville today to have the oil changed only to find out that whoever did the last oil change ended up using a 1/2"bolt, YES BOLT, instead of a gasket for the drain hole.

The dealership wouldn't even touch my car after they saw that and I thought that they were trying to charge me for something I didn't need. To make a long story short, I then took my car to Pohanka Lexus and didn't even mention what Rockville said. They did however, tell me the same thing (and showed me as well), that the oil pan needed to be replaced. I was quoted a price of $720 to have the work performed and also received a second quote of $550 to have have the same work done.

Does this sound like a reasonable price to have the entire lower oil pan replace? Thanks!
Old 01-03-12, 07:27 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dide you go to a dealer or an independent shop to get the second quote? im not sure how easy, or not, the ES motor is to work on as ive never been under or seen underneath one. independent shops have a little more room to negotiate price as some do not use OEM parts or have lexus specific technicians. i have heard of a dealer refusing to work on a car because of its condition and my dealer has done the same in a very rare case ( ford dealer)
The following users liked this post:
skywriter4 (01-22-23)
Old 01-03-12, 07:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DCCyclist
In reference to the oil leak and getting the pan fixed, has anyone had the entire lower oil pan replaced? I went to Lexus of Rockville today to have the oil changed only to find out that whoever did the last oil change ended up using a 1/2"bolt, YES BOLT, instead of a gasket for the drain hole.

The dealership wouldn't even touch my car after they saw that and I thought that they were trying to charge me for something I didn't need. To make a long story short, I then took my car to Pohanka Lexus and didn't even mention what Rockville said. They did however, tell me the same thing (and showed me as well), that the oil pan needed to be replaced. I was quoted a price of $720 to have the work performed and also received a second quote of $550 to have have the same work done.

Does this sound like a reasonable price to have the entire lower oil pan replace? Thanks!
For a retail shop, sure... You could do it yourself of course, but its not the easiest on those cars (as evidenced by the above 2.9 labor hours)... Shop around, find out what the oil pan costs from the dealer and go from there...

All a drain plug is, is a bolt with a wide flange on it, some include gaskets, some do not... Are you sure it couldn't just be replaced with a new drain plug??? I am thinking their fear is that the bolt is in there because someone stripped the oil pan and jammed that bolt in there... the reality is that it could have been a bad drain plug replaced by a non-standard plug... Might be able to get away with just replacing the plug with a proper one... Might not... unfortunately only one way to tell - pull it out and see what it looks like...
Old 01-03-12, 09:17 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DCCyclist

That is the main reason one should do oil change at reputed places or DIY.