ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES300 AVS Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 12:47 PM
byacs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 AVS Struts

I have the AVS system in my 97 es300. I need to replace the front left...or both front struts i guess would be more logical. They aren't that old...i replaced them with oem less than two years ago...but i hit a big bump and the front left is borked now....sounds like metal on metal if i hit a good bump.

I've read a ton of threads here and still am kind of grey on whether or not going with aftermarket will cause the whole dreaded trac lock light thing. I don't care if they are better or handle great...etc...i don't wanna see those frickin lights going off...period. If it takes oem...then i'll noob out and go oem. hehe

There is a mechanic i know that can do this on the cheap for me...but he says they need to be the kind that are already pressed...or "quick strut" i think they are called?

The few people here that say they had no issue with aftermarkets are always referencing the same couple of models...a kyb and a tokico...both of which look like they would need to be compressed when i look them up...like a standard strut.

I honestly don't know what mine were replaced with ...i'm looking at the cost per on the receipt...and it's $120 per...and i've seen signs of them being around twice that for oem avs struts...so makes me wonder.

Anyone know about the quick strut thing...and if i have options other than oem there?
Old 01-25-12, 12:57 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Quick strut is the entire assy. Most mechanics like these since they literally drop in, once you pull out the old ones.

Its a complete set, new strut mount, spring, struts, etc. all pre-assembled.

I just got a complete set two mos. ago, but my car is not AVS and Monroe makes these for non-avs cars. It ran me 500$ ish for all 4 new quick struts, install time was about 2hrs at my mechanic. If it was just struts, it would be at least three since you have to take them apart and reinstall new struts then place on the car itself... $$$

I would personally ditch the stupid avs system, and get normal struts. Worst comes to worst, remove the warning bulb.
Old 01-27-12, 08:48 AM
byacs
Driver School Candidate

From what i've read...it sounds like the people that have issues with the dash lights going on after they replaced the avs struts are those who probably didn't take care of the avs plugs/connector when taking the old avs struts out.

I remember reading somewhere before where lots of mechanics unknowingly break them when removing struts...causing a short...which starts the whole dash light battle. That at least explains why some have issue and some don't...so that's what i'm going with. Crossing my fingers.
Old 01-27-12, 10:17 AM
MyEs300Yea
Driver

I once replaced all 4 cushions, there for i needed to take off all 4 struts, i was very careful not to mess with the ABS cables that clip on the strut frame, once i completed the job i left all 4 struts unplugged and drove the car for like 3 weeks with out the plugs and not once i ever saw any lights on dash.
Old 01-27-12, 01:51 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Quick strut is the entire assy. Most mechanics like these since they literally drop in, once you pull out the old ones.

Its a complete set, new strut mount, spring, struts, etc. all pre-assembled.

I just got a complete set two mos. ago, but my car is not AVS and Monroe makes these for non-avs cars. It ran me 500$ ish for all 4 new quick struts, install time was about 2hrs at my mechanic. If it was just struts, it would be at least three since you have to take them apart and reinstall new struts then place on the car itself... $$$

I would personally ditch the stupid avs system, and get normal struts. Worst comes to worst, remove the warning bulb.
2 hours for all 4 struts?

How much did you pay in shipping and taxes when you ordered from rockauto?
Old 01-27-12, 02:59 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
2 hours for all 4 struts?

How much did you pay in shipping and taxes when you ordered from rockauto?
540$ cad
*but it was shipped to NY, so i drove down. 45min's for me. no point in shipping struts to canada, the shipment was made in two's over 50lbs each. X2, so that would be like 300$ to ship it here.