ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

rear noise....please help. TIA

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 11:31 AM
destined4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rear noise....please help. TIA

Greetings to all forum members.

I ran into an accident with the curb a few days ago (thanks to the indecisive driver infront of me) causing a broken trailing arm and a tilt wheel in the rear. I had the trailing arms and bolts replaced and an allignment from a shop a friend refered to, and everything looks fine an dandy. However, when I started driving I hear clunking noises (? - as in a flat). I had my car lifted and spun the wheel and it looked fine and no sign of rubbing. The mechanic said that it could be the wheel hub and bearing got damaged. Is it possible? Any ideas?? A new piece from the dealer is $320+tax. I found a used one for $128+tax. Should I get the used one instead, since I'm not so sure that it's the wheel hub and bearing. Any suggestion/ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

-LT
Old 10-19-02, 12:06 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok it definitely sounds like something getting into the way of the wheels turning. what year lex is it? im sure the mechanics tried to check everything but you need to get everything under there checked again til the problems found. i'd check: the brake system (rotors, calipers, hoses, lines), strut rods, stabilizer, the stabilizer link, wheel wells, actually the whole rear assembly. as for those parts your mechanic said, i'd replace them only after he lets you see that they are actually damaged. if you're not sure and *are* going to get the replacement, go with the used. let us know what you find out. good luck and sorry bout the incident with the curb.
Old 10-19-02, 01:01 PM
destined4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding so quickly.

It's a 1995. I would definately like to have this checked out. It's annoying as hell when I drive hearing that clunking/bopping sound in the back. What's interesting was that there was no noise when the car was lift and the wheel was spinning. And on the ground, no noise when it started rolling but as I accelerate the noise can be heard and it's louder and louder as I applied the accelerator.

Thanks for the suggetion. But how do I know if the bearing is messed up even if I see it unless it's bent out of shape. I guess I will probably replace the hub and bearing with a used, since the new one is pretty expensive and I did bang the wheel pretty bad against the curb with a little help from the rain that night. I will you know how it goes. Thanks again.