ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Egr vacuum modulator filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 07:31 AM
kmazz1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egr vacuum modulator filter

Want to replace the vacuum modulator filter with a similar material. Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-12, 04:37 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by kmazz1
Want to replace the vacuum modulator filter with a similar material. Any suggestions?
why replace the filter? Is the modular working? to test it apply vacuum to single in/outlet on bottom if it won't let you pull air out of it it's fine if it does then replace modular you can find used on certain year Avalon and certain pickups if you can't find a v6 camry
Old 02-06-12, 07:22 AM
kmazz1
Driver School Candidate

I need to purchase a hand held vacuum pump and will try the suggestion. I do not think the problem is with the modulator as the engine light reappeared after I cleaned the filter and reset the check engine light.
Old 02-06-12, 08:12 AM
VicsIS350
Driver

Talking

I need to purchase a hand held vacuum pump and will try the suggestion. I do not think the problem is with the modulator as the engine light reappeared after I cleaned the filter and reset the check engine light.
you don't need a vacuum pump use your mouth simply clean exterior of single outlet on bottom if once you breath into your lungs with outlet held by your lips into your mouth if it lets "air" pass as you breath in it's faulty. I had same situation on 2 v6 Camry engines...Emission problems are either EGR into engine or EGR out(meaning VSVs or vacuum lines)

you can test VSVs without removal just use longer vacuum line and a cup of water to see if open or closed by blowing into cup of water thru both in and out separately to see if working. When I had to test them I found out while ignition off VSVs are open when ignition on without turning on car engine on the VSVs close. So testing will prove they close if they don't then that VSV to me was faulty I replaced and next issue was modular which test proved it was faulty replaced and warning permanently gone

Last edited by VicsIS350; 02-06-12 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 09:10 AM
kmazz1
Driver School Candidate

Default Egr vacuum mod. Valve

So the VSV's are the ports on top of the modulator valve?: I have since found out that the VSV is a vacuum switching value from another post. I will test to see if it is working. (closing/opening)

Last edited by kmazz1; 02-06-12 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Found out where!
Old 02-06-12, 11:44 AM
VicsIS350
Driver

So the VSV's are the ports on top of the modulator valve?: I have since found out that the VSV is a vacuum switching value from another post. I will test to see if it is working. (closing/opening)
lol ok......................................
Old 02-06-12, 03:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The VSV for the EGR is the common problem. EGR modulator doesn't really go bad unless it's clogged or leaking which is rare. If you got a CEL on for EGR insufficient flow, first check EGR is working if yes, VSV is bad.
Old 02-06-12, 03:53 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The VSV for the EGR is the common problem. EGR modulator doesn't really go bad unless it's clogged or leaking which is rare. If you got a CEL on for EGR insufficient flow, first check EGR is working if yes, VSV is bad.

Maybe not common but I had both my 96 Camry V6 and my 96 Lexus V6 the modular was bad on both. On the Lexus the EGR VSV was also faulty...I suggest check not gonna kill you and maybe 20 minutes total to check and be sure I had no other issue then this and I did checks and also cleaned carbon from EGR and it wasn't issue..thru reading many threads none helped and mostly cause they mention mostly as EGR as fault...but showing what else based on experience it can help others. Cel I had was insufficient air flow and until modular and VSV was replaced the warning sign stood lite.
Old 02-06-12, 04:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

by all means check it. im just saying from my experience, i dont see many modulator go bad unless its leaking or clogged which i rarely see. the vsv is the one that provides vacuum to the modulator, so if thats not working, the pcm will trigger a code. plus there is a sensor on the vsv and thats how to computer knows. computer will not know if modulator is working or not. that's the techinician's job to find out.
Old 02-06-12, 05:01 PM
VicsIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
by all means check it. im just saying from my experience, i dont see many modulator go bad unless its leaking or clogged which i rarely see. the vsv is the one that provides vacuum to the modulator, so if thats not working, the pcm will trigger a code. plus there is a sensor on the vsv and thats how to computer knows. computer will not know if modulator is working or not. that's the techinician's job to find out.
ok I under stand your situation but mine started as a warning on my camry then thru 6 months of probing forums I find solutions little by little. Once I got Lexus it had same code so first thing I checked was Modular and test showed faulty then I applied vacuum to EGR thru a hose from modular and engine hesitated wanted to shut off so it eliminated EGR to engine so replaced modular and fixed for like a day then different code lead to VSV so thru asking I got ok answers how to test/clean I followed instructions but found my own easy none removal way to check EGR VSV it showed faulty so replaced fault gone and has yet to return.