ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rating of Headlight Lens Cleaners from Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 02:39 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rating of Headlight Lens Cleaners from Consumer Reports

Just read a review of Headlight Lens Cleaner effectiveness on Consumer Reports. They did a complete test and below are their bottom Line findings:

Bottom line (From Consumer Reports Magazine)
The Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit provided the best and longest-lasting results. The 3M kit, though trickier to use, provides similar performance at a lower price. The Turtle Wax kit costs less than half the cost of the top-performing Sylvania. But neither the Turtle Wax nor the Fast Brite, a kit marketed through infomercials, held up as well as the other two.
Old 01-31-12, 04:15 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i found this too..but it sucks..lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abaCM...3bFAAAAAAAASAA
Old 02-01-12, 11:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

They still look a little hazy in the video. What was the time frame for testing how long they last?
Old 02-02-12, 12:27 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know... I do wonder what the testing period was though.
Old 02-02-12, 04:49 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Good to know... I do wonder what the testing period was though.
Below is the complete article from consumer Reports
============================================
As people keep their cars longer, oxidation of commonly used plastic headlight lenses is an increasing problem for drivers. Oxidation creates a haze that’s not only unsightly but also can significantly reduce headlight illumination, creating a safety hazard. And because hazing occurs over time, drivers might not notice the creeping danger. Hazing can also be more prevalent on vehicles with higher levels of UV exposure.
Replacing the lenses or having them professionally cleaned are options but can cost $200. For a fraction of that, you can use a headlight lens cleaning kit.
We recently sampled four kits—3M Headlight Lens Restoration System 29008, Fast Brite Auto Headlight Restorer Kit, Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit, and Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer—all costing $21 or less, on several older cars. All the kits remove the cloudy surface of plastic lenses by using abrasives. Three then polish the lenses back to a smoother finish, while a fourth skips directly to the sealant stage to finish the lens. Two other kits also use a sealant. All can be purchased either online or at auto parts and department stores.

We evaluated each kit for effectiveness and ease of use. We used a light meter to measure output from the headlights before and after using each of the products. Then we retested light output from the headlights eight weeks later to see how well the cleanings held up over time. We also noted the difficulty, number of steps, and time required to use each product. Our results varied, but we found that even the poorest performer in our group can dramatically improve light output on badly weathered lenses. You have to do a thorough job, though, for the best results.
A small percentage of lenses have a hard protective coating that must be sanded off before refinishing takes place. One kit, by Sylvania, was able to remove the hard coating with the supplied materials, but the others required us to buy 400-grit emery paper.
Most kits involve several steps for cleaning, as much as an hour for both lenses. One kit, the 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, also requires the use of an electric drill and sanding discs, but a slip- up during that step could cause scratching of your car’s paint.

Bottom line
The Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit provided the best and longest-lasting results. The 3M kit, though trickier to use, provides similar performance at a lower price. The Turtle Wax kit costs less than half the cost of the top-performing Sylvania. But neither the Turtle Wax nor the Fast Brite, a kit marketed through infomercials, held up as well as the other two.

Last edited by PFB; 02-02-12 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-02-12, 06:32 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I sanded mine once, and polish them from here on out.

If i end up with some HID's i'll sand/polish them & a piece of clear lamin-x on top... or clearcoat them.