ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need timing belt advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 01:07 PM
BillCarson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need timing belt advice

I just bought a used 2004 ES-330 with 91,000 on it, driven by older, slower driving folks. I'm sure the car was never, ever "pushed."

I've not dying to put in a new timing belt that was due at 90,000 miles. I'd like some feedback on this thought: I am assuming that the V6 engine on the car is "non-interference", meaning that a broken timing belt won't wreck the engine. If it did break, I think I'd be paying for "re-timing" in addition the new belt. I have two other cars and towing insurance and not worried whatsoever about needing a 100% guarantee that the car will always be available to me. So I'm thinking about waiting on the T-belt and water pump until maybe 130,000 miles or so. Am I just crazy to think about doing this?

I just have confidence in Toyota that the belt will last quite a bit longer. I'm not seeing any comments on this Forum about people crying about belts breaking in half at 95,000 miles. It seems Toyota has built in a pretty good "fudge" factor here.

But my opinion is strictly tentative and awaiting moderation by more experienced owners! Thanks for any comments!

Last edited by BillCarson; 02-24-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 01:19 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

best thing to do, just pop the timing belt cover off on a weekend or something and inspect the belt.
if you can see any cracks where it's bending around the cam gears.....start ordering your parts.

if it's got no cracks, then just keep driving it. maybe apply some belt dressing while ur at it
Old 02-24-12, 01:46 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Although this engine is indeed a non interference engine, it can still get severely damaged if the timing belt breaks. One such scenario would be if you have carbon built-up on the top of the pistons, or valves. Because of the very small clearence between those two components, such a layer of carbon, can still cause them to crash into each other and cause major damage.

Having said that, the chances of such an event occuring, are rather remote, but not non-exsistant. In any case, at that milage, your timing belt should still be good.

Phil
Old 02-24-12, 05:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

The engine is interference by everything I've read because of the variable valve timing. Stick to the recommended replacement schedule unless you like to risk destroying the engine.
Old 02-24-12, 05:49 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The engine is interference by everything I've read because of the variable valve timing. Stick to the recommended replacement schedule unless you like to risk destroying the engine.
Not correct. His engine is NOT an interference engine.

Check the website below to determine the interference status of any car

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-24-12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 07:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

That Gates list contains quite a few errors FYI. But I'm not going to argue this it has been discussed at length before.
Old 02-24-12, 07:54 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Honestly, read this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...us-at-50k.html

If it were me, i'd do it. Spend the 350$ for parts from www.rockauto.com, pay the 700$ in labor and be done with it.

I just got one of the OEM spec kits for my dad's RX330 which was at the interval to swap it over. And months before my buddy's GTI only had 140k km's on it and the belt snapped - new head required.

Your call.
Old 02-24-12, 08:18 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

VVTi 1MZ = interference
none VVTi are not
Old 02-24-12, 08:22 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It "IS" a interference engine. do not take chances.if you are in doubt get a visual inspection of the belts.
Old 02-25-12, 04:20 PM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im at 180k miles right now on my 1995ES. Purchased the car with 100k and i have service records that show that the belt and all related parts were replaced at 65,000. Not sure why it was done so early, but nonetheless, i am debating whether or not to have the belt replaced which im told will cost at least $1000, or to continue driving her until the belt snaps and then ill pronounce her dead.

On one hand i know if i change the belt i can get many more miles out of her, but on the other hand, im prepared to buy a new car and not put $1000 into a $2000 car...

decisions...
Old 02-26-12, 10:21 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by immax01
Im at 180k miles right now on my 1995ES. Purchased the car with 100k and i have service records that show that the belt and all related parts were replaced at 65,000. Not sure why it was done so early, but nonetheless, i am debating whether or not to have the belt replaced which im told will cost at least $1000, or to continue driving her until the belt snaps and then ill pronounce her dead.

On one hand i know if i change the belt i can get many more miles out of her, but on the other hand, im prepared to buy a new car and not put $1000 into a $2000 car...

decisions...
Find someone who does it at home. My mechanic did it for $200
Old 02-28-12, 09:38 AM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EEngineer
best thing to do, just pop the timing belt cover off on a weekend or something and inspect the belt.
if you can see any cracks where it's bending around the cam gears.....start ordering your parts.

if it's got no cracks, then just keep driving it. maybe apply some belt dressing while ur at it
hey EEngineer... had a quick question for you, this may be th ebest place to ask....i have a 97 es..
my belt was changes at 93k KM (not miles) by previous owner. i am at 191k Km. now the belts go for 140-150,000 km is what my mechanic says so i should be good alteast until 200k km.

but! i really want to pop it opena nd take a look so I can sleep easy... you mentioned belt dressing..does that help like alot?

so if i pop the cover on a saturday and spray it all over would it help the belt "stay in shape" a bit more..?
thanks alot, appreciate all your current (and previous help) !
Old 02-28-12, 09:41 AM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillCarson
I just bought a used 2004 ES-330 with 91,000 on it, driven by older, slower driving folks. I'm sure the car was never, ever "pushed."

I've not dying to put in a new timing belt that was due at 90,000 miles. I'd like some feedback on this thought: I am assuming that the V6 engine on the car is "non-interference", meaning that a broken timing belt won't wreck the engine. If it did break, I think I'd be paying for "re-timing" in addition the new belt. I have two other cars and towing insurance and not worried whatsoever about needing a 100% guarantee that the car will always be available to me. So I'm thinking about waiting on the T-belt and water pump until maybe 130,000 miles or so. Am I just crazy to think about doing this?

I just have confidence in Toyota that the belt will last quite a bit longer. I'm not seeing any comments on this Forum about people crying about belts breaking in half at 95,000 miles. It seems Toyota has built in a pretty good "fudge" factor here.

But my opinion is strictly tentative and awaiting moderation by more experienced owners! Thanks for any comments!
Bill, my two cents, I would do it... its money and pain, but with rubber theres a time factor too right? ... thats 8 years old rubber in there... so i would consider changing it, or atleast like EEngineer said open it up and take a look... if its cracking thats not a good sign
Old 02-28-12, 10:22 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrShim78
but! i really want to pop it opena nd take a look so I can sleep easy... you mentioned belt dressing..does that help like alot?

so if i pop the cover on a saturday and spray it all over would it help the belt "stay in shape" a bit more..?
thanks alot, appreciate all your current (and previous help) !
hell no. Primarily used for alternator & power steering belts to stop squeal temporarily... nothing more.
Old 02-28-12, 12:30 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by immax01

decisions...
Your particular 1995 ES has a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks, it doesn't ruin the engine, it will simply stall out. Your car though will just need a tow to the shop, so it could leave you stranded.

I have heard of some freak occurences with non-interference engines and timing belts breaking, but the odds are slim. On a car that's only worth $2000, I'd just drive it until the timing belt breaks and then figure out what you want to do. I've heard plenty of people get WELL over the suggested interval, I could easily see it going for another year or two without an issue.

BTW, you should be able to find an independent shop that can change just the timing belt for under $300. The $1000 quote is probably a Lexus dealer that also replaces the water pump and a few other parts along while swapping out the timing belt.

Last edited by BradTank; 02-28-12 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Need timing belt advice