ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing, Clogged Exhaust, Blown Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 03:30 PM
JamesDolan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing, Clogged Exhaust, Blown Engine?

Hello,
I have having a Very hard time figureing out what is wrong with my 92 ES300. I was driving along on on interstate a couple nights ago, and all of a sudden I had no power what so ever (foot on the gas slowing down). I pulled to the side of the rode and stalled. Tryed to restart can stalled. After trying a few times the starter was unable to turn the motor over, a couple slow cranks like the battery was dead, all lights were working fine.

The next night I had it towed to a shop. He was able to start it the battery was fine, and it sounded like hell. Developed an exhaust leak and sounded like there was a horrible tapping/rattling he thinks broken rocker arm or some other internal damage.

The car only has 115k miles on it, and the oil was just changed. I find it hard to beleive that the engine is trash. It will start now and seems to idle fine, it does have what sounds like top end tapping, and has no power what so ever, it can not move under its own power. Could it be that the timing skipped a little? Or maybe a clogged catalyic converter? I am at a complete loss at this point. I really hope this car can be saved with out costing me a few grand for a rebuilt engine.

Thank you,
James
Old 03-02-12, 04:24 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like he might be right, might want to look at a possible clogged cat as well although if that happened on the highway it might very well break a camshaft...
Old 03-02-12, 06:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

What's the oil level now, and what was it when the car lost power?
Old 03-02-12, 07:06 PM
JamesDolan
Driver School Candidate

The oil looks good, still full and clean, it was just changed a few hundred miles ago, and doesn't look like it has any coolant in it.
Old 03-02-12, 09:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

hook up a vacuum gauge and tell us whats the vacuum reading.
Old 03-04-12, 06:53 PM
JamesDolan
Driver School Candidate

I went today to at least try to look at my car. I don't have a vacuum or compression gauge, wasn't able to check that. I did check the oil again, and coolant.

The oil is now high and thin, and coolant is brown and looks like it has oil in it.

So, I suppose I have a cracked head, blown head gasket, or worst case cracked block. I really don't understand how this would have happened. But it is what it is.

It would be great if there is anyone around that might be able to guess what this is going to cost me. Also, it would be great to know what could have caused this kind of failure.
Old 03-04-12, 07:25 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Itls a known issue on the 92-93 engine. I've seen it many times. What it costs will depend on a lot. BEST CASE it only needs a new head gasket. But due to the fact it has no power, my guess is it overheated very bad, that you now need a new engine.

Most likely the Prev owner did not take car of the car. I know someone who last year blew the head gasket on his with 74k miles because he refused to do any regular maintence to it. Still had the original coolant from 1993 which ended up destroying the head gasket I think.
Old 03-04-12, 07:44 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

well, fortunately, the 3VZ motor is cheap, widely available and can be easily swapped.
you are looking at probably $1500 tops parts and labours for a engine swap
Old 03-04-12, 07:57 PM
JamesDolan
Driver School Candidate

Really think that is what is has come to. New motor. The car looks like it has been sitting in grand ma's garage for the last 20 years. I really know very little of the history of this car, I've only owned it for a little while. I've owned other Toyotas that were impossible to kill, I would have thought the same from this one.
Old 03-04-12, 11:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

You got a broken head gasket my friend...
Old 03-06-12, 04:31 PM
maliko
Driver School Candidate

Mine gave way on the highway too. Would not start. When it did start the was a knocking sound in the engine. Took it to a shop and they said i had blown the head gaskets and cracked a cylinder. Was going to have them replaced but but the cost was humongous. Do like i did....get a new motor and save yourself some money. Might cost you about $1300, depending on where you do it.