ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

the best shock setup comparable to avs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 01:09 AM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the best shock setup comparable to avs?

hey guys, I still havent made a decision on the suspension. It seems that I have one leaking strut and i can get by on changing the damping for now. So im thinkin i could save change one avs strut at a time. But for the price of one avs strut, is there a aftermarket setup that is VERY comparable/competitive to the avs? what comes close? i miss the feeling of "hovering" over cracks and potholes.

also anyone hear about strutmasters on a 97es 300?

thanks
Old 03-27-12, 12:36 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

....ok....i know you guys have some fancy set up and are fed up with the same topic. Im thinking about going monroe oespectrum. They have a 90 day garantee if your not satisfied. comments?
Old 03-27-12, 12:44 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Any new struts will 'hover' they get lower with time and abuse.
I don't have AVS - thank god. Such stupid system. They just get harder or softer, where a normal strut is the 'inbetween setting' at all times.

FWIW, get normal struts that aren't crazy expensive, and call it a day. Can't go wrong with quickstruts by Monroe. More money - yes, but less time spent labor wise and its all in one and not mixing old components like strut mounts. Works out best in the end for an OEM-like ride, with lifetime warranty.

Cheapest to get them on rockauto.com, and rebates galore. Might as well look into other options if you choose just struts & mounts [highly recommend to change 'while you in there']...
Old 03-27-12, 08:09 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

yea, you may be right. but I was told that the quick struts use the lowest standard shock. thats a turn off.
Old 03-27-12, 08:29 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavaiie
yea, you may be right. but I was told that the quick struts use the lowest standard shock. thats a turn off.
ummm, 90 day warranty vs. lifetime. I wonder which is the ****tier strut?

regardless, do what you wanna do... since you already have a preconception as to what you want, i wish i didn't waste my time posting that earlier.
Old 03-27-12, 08:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavaiie
I've looked around on other forums, since I need a suspension overhaul as well, and it seems like not every set of Monroe Quick Struts is properly built. The shock itself seems to be okay, but the other components are not put together properly. Some people have reported clunking noises after installation and have had to replace them a couple of times before reaching a desired effect.

I'm still on the fence if I want to go the cheap Monroe route and then having to redo it later. I am more of a "do it right the first time" kind of guy, even if it means spending double the money.

The general consensus seems to be using KYB struts with Toyota strut mounts. As for other components, like spring insulators, boots, bump stops, it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-28-12, 03:59 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Either get the regular OEM shocks or get the KYB GR2's. The regular OEM shocks are a bit more pricey while the GR2's can be found for under 300 for a set of 4. Unless you're really that picky about the ride, the GR2's should be more than comfortable.
Old 03-28-12, 07:28 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Either use the Monroe QuickStrut for the ease of it, or just use the KYB struts with KYB Mounts. thats what I do for all my personal and friends stock replacement.
Old 03-28-12, 12:22 PM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the comments that everyone sent. Considering the many threads topics on shocks and ride quaility, there are tons of combinations and "tastes" that different people prefer. Im learning Its is just as personal as choosing shoes. With that said, this thread is just another bunch of opinons, and basically just a way to make some conversation about shocks.
I have been spoiled by the AVS system, so maybe when its really time for full i want a a setup that can come close.

Mr.booby i feel ya.

The strutmasters might be worth the envestment vs $400+ for a shock.
BTW, would you all say that the light metal on metal grinding sound when slight shimming over a minor bump is the mounts?