ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How come no new ESs here????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 10:56 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come no new ESs here????

Ok, pretty sure we are gonna add a new 03' ES in the family. Went to the dealer yesterday and checked a black on beige one with sunroof, rear sunshade and that awesome 260 watt stereo. Also love the xenons, but the white fogs look very strange under those sweet blue lights. Only complaint was that the wheels look ugly. Sales will swap to GS wheels if we take it. Im already thinking Lowenhart LD-1s, but i would like to see some wheels on your cars or your modded ESs. But to my surprise, not one of the posts were made by an new ES owner and i have yet to find a new ES in the picture gallery???!!!! Whats going on??! Is it the strange styling thats really putting people off from buying this over-styled camry??
Old 10-30-02, 12:17 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm here lol.

There are some new ES pictures in the gallery, just gotta look for them.

As for the wheels, I was surprised to find that they grew on me pretty well. I prefer machined wheels to painted, don't know why Lexus made the switch.

Its a great car, I should hopefully have mine next week. Don't accept an offer any better than $36,500 for the nav/lev car BTW, thats what one on the lot is worth in the market.
Old 10-30-02, 12:46 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few other 02-03 owners here. One has aftermarket 18"s (although they look funny without a drop), and another has the 17" wheels from the LS430.
Old 10-30-02, 12:53 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

i went thru all 31 pages in the ES gallery and only found like 3 pictures!! I guess i'll start modding it fast if we get it and be the first ones to get 19s or 20s! Those stock ones seem like they belong on a camry.
I know the car is new but i dont think its that new! I guess with all the competition out there, including its own cousin camry, the ES wont be as great selling as the previous ones which is good to me.

Originally posted by SW03ES
I'm here lol.

There are some new ES pictures in the gallery, just gotta look for them. ....
Old 10-30-02, 01:41 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

The new ES actually sells better Best selling luxury car in America, yes sir!

Yeah I don't care much for the style of the wheels myself either. I really like the platinum wheels from the 00 ES, but they're not as wide as the wheels on the new ones. The 03 wheels in chrome look great on the black model...
Old 10-30-02, 03:12 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Thats hard to believe, with all the stiff competition now that the ES has. Like the maxima, acura TLs, Infinity I35s, and the traditional C-class and 3 series. The mid-size car is a very crowded field. Plus ALL of them are more powerful and handle better. We are choosing the ES, because basically there are no choices when it comes to its service, and brand reputation.

Originally posted by SW03ES
The new ES actually sells better Best selling luxury car in America, yes sir!...
Old 10-30-02, 03:16 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it could be true. Lexus still has a much better image than Infiniti or Acura, and buyers will rarely cross-shop a new ES with a new 3 series. Different types of cars. Maxima, Camry, etc. buyers are a different demographic profile than ES buyers. Buyers who compare the ES with the MB C-class will find that the ES offers more luxury and room at a more affordable price.
Old 10-30-02, 05:19 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

cant argue that ES is also the slowest, but the older i get the more im sold on interior luxury.

Originally posted by Nabeel
I guess it could be true. Lexus still has a much better image than Infiniti or Acura, and buyers will rarely cross-shop a new ES with a new 3 series. ....
Old 10-30-02, 09:39 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

The ES is THE BEST SELLING LUXURY SEDAN (minus the 3-series, Town Car, and Deville, they don't fall into the same category). Last time I checked, it had a solid lead on the 3.2TL.

As for mods on new ES's--> There's a guy with 18" Nakayama Speedsters, spoiler, tint....car looks good.

There is another member who has 21's on an 02 model.

Those Lowenharts should look great!
Old 10-30-02, 04:44 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Yep, that wasn't an opinion I stated, its a fact. The ES300 is the sales leader. Go to www.lexus.com to the main ES page and read the article. Quite honestly, when I drove all the entry level luxury cars (Acura TL, Infiniti I35, Mazda Millenia, Mercedes C-Class, Cadillac CTS etc) everything paled when compared to the ES. The only positives of any of the cars were the powertrains. The interior on the Infiniti was terrible, so was the ride, and the outside is frumpy. The Cadillac, well I wont even mantion the Cadillac, the Mazda was just a Mazda, the Acura's interior was okay, a little cheapo etc. The ES seemed like it was a totally different class of car, more expensive.
Old 10-30-02, 06:45 PM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

Who has the 21's on their ES - I would love to see those pics!

That has to be sweet!
Old 10-31-02, 11:21 AM
LexFather

I saw a black ES 300 on 18" chrome and black pearl emblems and it looked GREAT!
Old 10-31-02, 12:32 PM
Mind18
Driver

Default Standing too tall?

Originally posted by JohnsRX
Thats hard to believe, with all the stiff competition now that the ES has. Like the maxima, acura TLs, Infinity I35s, and the traditional C-class and 3 series. The mid-size car is a very crowded field. Plus ALL of them are more powerful and handle better. We are choosing the ES, because basically there are no choices when it comes to its service, and brand reputation.

Based on your comment regarding "we are choosing the ES, because basically there are no choices when it comes to its service, and brand reputation", does anyone think that Lexus has gotten too the point where perhaps they have become to "arrogrant", or maybe just resting on their laurels too comfortably? The reason I ask this, is because I almost feel like the "new" models of Lexus have lost that "elegant/cachet" quality to them, in terms of exterior I suppose. For me, I loved the old LS, old ES, RX, and GS. They were origninal to me and unique. But the new ES, while the interior is hands down gorgeous, the exterior seems to "Toyota" to me. The same goes with the new GX. And I know that Lexus is in fact Toyota, but before these new models I always use to wonder how they made their "Lexus" brand always more "elegant" and beautiful. There was always a distinct quality about them that I couldn't put my finger on. I wasn't sure if it was just more money spent on design or what, but too me Lexus's were truly "Lexus".

But come today, at least for me, I don't get that same sort of excitement with their new vehicles. However, they are still selling very, very well, and I almost wonder if this has made them "less" aggresive in terms of design and so forth, where it seems that no matter what they produce, it will sell well based on their reputation. For example, I compare it with Inifniti, who has, out of necssity, revamped themselves to produce some stunning designs in incoporate things such as LEDs and side blinkers, which make their vehicles ,more distinct.which a lot of people associate with luxury or least cutting-edge. no matter what they produce, they will sell well. Another comparsion, is it almost seems, with Lexus seting their sites on Mercedes-Benz from the start, they have now become them. Although they have become the old MB, whose named bascially sold the cars, and not necessarily their car's design. While the new MB, facing competition, have broke away from their old stoic image to create, I think some of the most beautiful cars in the world.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Lexus. Their build quality, reputation, service, and interiors are some of the best in the world, which is a great reason to buy their vehicles. But I'm curious to know people's thoughts on he issue posed.

Last edited by Mind18; 10-31-02 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 12:48 PM
LexFather

Default Good points Mind18.

Lexus has something for it no other luxury brand has. A STRONG enough identity to basically design ALL their cars and trucks to look different from one another, badge it as a Lexus and still sell well. All BMW, Audis, Benz, and Jags look very similar. Infiniti's have no brand, therefore no one knows what to expect from them or what they look like.

IMO, Lexus is going through "growing pains". It sells more than any other luxury car maker (so how can it keep it's prestige). It has cars to battle Benz (LS, SC, ES) and BMW (IS, GS) and owns the truck marker(RX, LX and new GX). I have the FOGGIEST idea though why Lexus needed another SUV, Lexus needs a much cheaper coupe, IMO.

Styling wise, I think the INDUSTRY has hit a stagnant, stale point. All cars are looking more alike or uglier. IMO, there are very few good looking cars nowadays. Though looking at the Lexus lineup, it is funny how people say the cars are bland and really, the ONLY bland one styling wise is the LS 430.

IS 300 not bland
ES 300 polorizing
GS 300/400 polorizing
SC 430 polorizing
RX 300 not bland

They may not be beautiful to all, but not more ugly than pretty. All cats nowadays are damn near, longer, higher and well they look ungainly.
Old 11-01-02, 12:26 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I do agree with what has been said here about the new direction in Lexus styling and how they have sort of lost that "I can't put my finger on it" great look. Like Mind I think the 98-00 LS is more expensive and elegant looking than the LS430, and in a lot of ways the old ES had a more elegant look.

I do also agree with 1SICK that its not neccisarily a point with just Lexus, but the industry as a whole. I mean, look at the new BMWs...Talk about giving your design heritage of the last 20 years a kick right where it counts. Look at Mercedes, they've totally reinvented themselves. Personally, I think the new E, CLK, and C class designs are lacking in elegance too. The E is the best of the three, until you get to the rear.

Quick Reply: How come no new ESs here????