ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fuel Injector Problem - 3 solutions???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 09:08 AM
pdembow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Problem - 3 solutions???

Hey, I have a 04' ES 300 and I have been experiencing slow acceleration and hesitation. Primarily when i am coming off a stop sign or something similiar I press the gas and the car just doesn't accelerate like it should. The RPM goes up to 2.5k but the car doesn't accelerate much, there is a 1-2 second hesitation period before it finally accelerates and its not very smooth.

My first thought was that this was obviously a transmission problem, until I poured a bottle fuel injector cleaner into my fuel tank and the problem was solved. My car ran like new and accelerated perfectly, but only for the next 2 days and it was back to the same old problem.

Then, I went to get a cheap fuel injector cleaning service at Jiffy Lube ($70) and my car ran like new, smooth with great acceleration for the next couple of days and then it was back to the same problem.

I went to a mechanic and he said I have 3 options... I need your guys' help to help me figure out which option is correct so i don;t have to waste my $$$ on all 3 things finding a solution.

1.) I might have gunk in my fuel tank - They will remove my fuel tank and clean it out with a pressure washer...

2.) I have dirty fuel injectors - They will remove my fuel injectors and clean them by hand scraping away all gunk and dirt...

3.) I have a computer failure - They say maybe my computer system isn't telling my fuel injectors to spray enough gas into the engine.

I think options 1 & 2 sound ridiculous, why would there be gunk in my fuel tank I only use premium Shell V-Power gasoline and this problem doesn't happen everytime I accelerate maybe about 50% of the time.

Option 2 sounds like the way to go and I think is the correct solution, what do you guys think?

Thanks for your advice, Peter.
Old 04-05-12, 10:05 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Clean your MAF sensor and replace your air filter if havent yet. Try that first and report back.
Old 04-05-12, 12:16 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 04 ES fuel system cleaned with the BG fuel system cleaner. Made a big difference. I run mobil or BP gas, 89 octane, sometimes mixed with 93 octane. Car runs better on straight 89 then 93 or 87.
Old 04-05-12, 12:24 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pdembow
Hey, I have a 04' ES 300 and I have been experiencing slow acceleration and hesitation. Primarily when i am coming off a stop sign or something similiar I press the gas and the car just doesn't accelerate like it should. The RPM goes up to 2.5k but the car doesn't accelerate much, there is a 1-2 second hesitation period before it finally accelerates and its not very smooth.

My first thought was that this was obviously a transmission problem, until I poured a bottle fuel injector cleaner into my fuel tank and the problem was solved. My car ran like new and accelerated perfectly, but only for the next 2 days and it was back to the same old problem.

Then, I went to get a cheap fuel injector cleaning service at Jiffy Lube ($70) and my car ran like new, smooth with great acceleration for the next couple of days and then it was back to the same problem.

I went to a mechanic and he said I have 3 options... I need your guys' help to help me figure out which option is correct so i don;t have to waste my $$$ on all 3 things finding a solution.

1.) I might have gunk in my fuel tank - They will remove my fuel tank and clean it out with a pressure washer...

2.) I have dirty fuel injectors - They will remove my fuel injectors and clean them by hand scraping away all gunk and dirt...

3.) I have a computer failure - They say maybe my computer system isn't telling my fuel injectors to spray enough gas into the engine.

I think options 1 & 2 sound ridiculous, why would there be gunk in my fuel tank I only use premium Shell V-Power gasoline and this problem doesn't happen everytime I accelerate maybe about 50% of the time.

Option 2 sounds like the way to go and I think is the correct solution, what do you guys think?

Thanks for your advice, Peter.
I would say get a can of Seafoam and dump the whole can into your gas tank and then top it off with gas. Do not refill until the tank is almost empty.