ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Buying a 1997 ES300 70k

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 09:15 PM
Joey97
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 1997 ES300 70k

Hello everyone !

I'm buying a 1997 ES300 with 70k for $5000. Car is in excellent condition. Original owner was a rich old lady and was always garaged. Carfax shows oil was changed every 3-4k miles, spark plugs, timing belt, tranny fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid, oxygen sensor, water pump, egr and a bunch more. Seems the dealer sold her everything . The only thing i see that needs to be done so far are the front brake pads (also pedal is kinda low), hood supports and its vibrating when in drive (dogbone?). Are there any sites to buy oem parts cheaper than the dealer ? Is there a listing of all the part numbers anywhere ? I already downloaded the service manual which is nice !

Thanks
Old 04-08-12, 09:32 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

no need for OEM parts, use www.rockauto.com

If you really want oem, use http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

Congrats on the car, that's a wicked deal in the end, especially if all the work was done.
Old 04-08-12, 10:26 AM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Great find. That is just getting broke in. Have fun. Take some pics. if you can.
Old 04-08-12, 01:21 PM
Joey97
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

Congrats on the car, that's a wicked deal in the end, especially if all the work was done.
Thanks for the links. I didn't know all that work was done until i did a carfax on it and checked mylexus.com. Especially when i saw the timing belt and waterpump
Old 04-08-12, 01:36 PM
Joey97
Rookie

Originally Posted by Timothyj
Great find. That is just getting broke in. Have fun. Take some pics. if you can.

Thanks. I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I will post pics. The car is actually for my 18 year old son, its his first car.
I will have to drive it for a while to make sure its ok lol
Old 04-08-12, 04:36 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

I would have to disagree. There is certainly a need for OEM parts, but it depends on the circumstance. It also depends on your budget. I personally prefer to stick with Toyota OEM parts, unless I know for a fact that I can get the same part cheaper without sacrificing quality.

Joey, congrats on the car, that is a real steal if it really was that well maintained.
Old 04-08-12, 05:13 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

pictures pictures pictures!!..lol
Old 04-08-12, 06:06 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The doggone mount that you refer to will not cause any vibrations, even if totally shot. I am not clear what you mean when you say that the car vibrates while in drive. If it vibrates while in drive but the car is stopped than it could be your engine mounts, but not the dogbone. If it vibrates while you drive, than its suspension, or tire related.

Either way, you will love this car. Enjoy it

Phil
Old 04-08-12, 08:42 PM
Joey97
Rookie

When the car is in drive and not moving im getting a vibration that can be felt on the steering wheel. If its not the dogbone, are the other mounts hard to replace ?
Old 04-08-12, 09:41 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey97
When the car is in drive and not moving im getting a vibration that can be felt on the steering wheel. If its not the dogbone, are the other mounts hard to replace ?
The only one that's hard to replace is the one near the firewall. It has a bracket that runs through the passenger axle. I hear that you have to remove the axle in order to remove and replace that mount.

Here is a way to remove it without taking the axle out. Keep in mind that the rear engine mount is not for a beginner.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...procedure.html

Last edited by Hayk; 04-08-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 09:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I would have to disagree. There is certainly a need for OEM parts...
100% agree. Of course there is a need for OE parts, that is what makes the car so good in the first place. Anytime you replace a part with a lesser quality unit, your car is not as good anymore. There are some aftermarket parts that are better than OEM, but not many.
Old 04-09-12, 07:07 AM
Joey97
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrBooby
The only one that's hard to replace is the one near the firewall. It has a bracket that runs through the passenger axle. I hear that you have to remove the axle in order to remove and replace that mount.

Here is a way to remove it without taking the axle out. Keep in mind that the rear engine mount is not for a beginner.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...procedure.html
Wow that rear one looks tough to remove. Is there a how-to on replacing the other mounts ?
Old 04-09-12, 07:10 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Before changing the mounts blindly, make sure that it is the mounts, and if so, which one is the cause of the vibration.

At that mileage, your mounts should really still be ok.

Last edited by PFB; 04-09-12 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 08:01 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
100% agree. Of course there is a need for OE parts, that is what makes the car so good in the first place. Anytime you replace a part with a lesser quality unit, your car is not as good anymore. There are some aftermarket parts that are better than OEM, but not many.
In an ideal world, yes.

But I'm not one to spend 80$/corner for rotors, when an equally good aftermarket will run me 25$/corner. Especially on a decade old car... Surely someone has to agree with me on this. At the end of the day it's a car- and if my trans was to explode tomorrow, I'm not out that much money or trying to peddle my used OEM parts on here or eBay to regain some of that overpriced loss... The only oem thing I get now, is the transmission filter and gasket. All else is aftermarket.
Old 04-09-12, 08:25 AM
Joey97
Rookie

Originally Posted by PFB
Before changing the mounts blindly, make sure that it is the mounts, and if so, which one is the cause of the vibration.

At that mileage, your mounts should really still be ok.
Once I get the car home I will check the mounts (just thinking ahead).
What else should I look for if the mounts look ok ?

Quick Reply: Buying a 1997 ES300 70k