ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sticky Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 09:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Sticky Steering Wheel

So right when I got the car, I cleaned up the interior and used a leather cleaner/conditioner (Leatherique) on the steering wheel and other leather surfaces. After the treatment, I noticed that my steering wheel felt tacky to the touch, which was a lot more prominent in humid weather or when my hands were sweaty. I did not drive the car prior to the treatment, so I can't confirm if that's what caused this condition.

Ever since then, I've tried cleaning the steering wheel to get rid of the tackiness. I've used a damp towel to wipe off the residue. Used a sanitizing wipe. I also tried cleaning the wheel again with Lexol without the conditioner, and yet the stickiness was still there.

Just the other day, I bought the Magic Eraser and used it on the wheel. I noticed that the color of the leather was transferring onto the sponge, and when I did a final wipe with a damp paper towel, I could see the leather color on the paper. It still felt sticky.

I then tried using some rubbing alcohol, which took even more color off and made the wheel felt really bad. So I went back to the Magic Eraser and the damp towel method.

I've tried searching for solutions and this is the only thread I found so far.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ing-wheel.html

Originally Posted by Original Post
I clean it with a good leather cleaner and then add a leather conditioner, but it actually feels worse-sticky & rough- after i clean it. I couldnt believe the amount of dirt that came off on the rag. I think some of the paint on the leather came off too.
Originally Posted by One of the replies
I've heard that the steering wheel has a special coating on the leather to prevent wear that isnt anywhere else on the upholstery, thats why they say not to use leather cleaners on the wheel. I had this same problem on my Explorer and wound up replacing the whole wheel rim.
Do you think I messed up my leather coating and will need to replace it? It's so annoying that I'm considering buying the WheelSkin steering wheel cover.

EDIT: I should add that there is some visible wear on the top of the rim. So maybe the material is just breaking down?

Last edited by Hayk; 05-12-12 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-12-12, 10:35 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure someone didn't paint the steering wheel prior to selling it
Old 05-12-12, 11:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitmaks
You sure someone didn't paint the steering wheel prior to selling it
I hope not, but I have no proof to confirm or deny this. I'll try the good old Soap and Water method tomorrow, and see how that goes. If that does nothing, I'm getting a wheel cover.
Old 05-13-12, 07:25 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Megiuars (sp?) leather cleaner, comes in a black bottle it will make it not sticky anymore. I ued it and i may have taken some dye off, but it was absolutely filthy especially since i wasn't able to clean my car for a year while i was at school
Old 05-31-12, 07:51 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

So the stickiness never went away and it kept driving me up the wall, every time I drove the car.

I went on the wheelskins' website and ordered a few color samples - Sand, Tan, Oak, Brown, and Charcoal.
Oak and Brown were the only ones that looked close enough. Oak was a shade brighter and Brown was a shade darker. I decided to go with brown.

They say the installation takes about an hour, but in reality it took me a good 3-4 hours to get it right. This project requires lots of patience. The first third of the wheel proved to be the hardest, just because I was still getting the hang of it, and I was trying out different techniques. The biggest game changer was getting a pair of workout gloves with my finger tips exposed. They really helped in pulling the threads nice and tight. Here are the results.

I've only driven a short distance with it on, but it already feel much better. The wheel is much thicker, but I consider that a good thing. I paid $40 for it on Ebay, and I think it was well worth it. I might replace it with a wooden steering wheel, if I ever find one, but this works well for the time being.